Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian Lake told future lies with Western Bulldogs

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 1 July

BRIAN Lake has been strongly told his long-term future lies with Western Bulldogs despite a dramatic slide to VFL ranks.

The Bulldogs have gone on the front foot amid speculation Lake might be open to a fresh start elsewhere.

But the club told the two-time All-Australian he would not be traded under any circumstances.

"There is no way he is going to be traded. He is a required player," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brian Lake told future lies with Western Bulldogs

Glad the club have come out and backed him in, positively (finally).

Post Thanks / Like

We are a premiership threat next season with a fit Lake, so I don't see the point of getting rid of him.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    We are a premiership threat next season with a fit Lake, so I don't see the point of getting rid of him.
    We are?

A lot will need to change very quickly for this to occur.

Post Thanks / Like

IF he is digruntled, and having trouble with soreness, maybe he should be moved on, while he still has some currency. He's not getting any younger.

Post Thanks / Like

What a difference a year makes. 12 months ago this website was exploding with articles and post about signing Lake, and hope he doesn't go etc etc.
    He's had a lame year with fitness and preparation, an optimistic view could see that if he goes away and sorts himself out, has a good preseason and prepares corectly then maybe he could have a 2010 year in 2012????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    And what do you think if we're not a premiership threat for at least two years?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    And what do you think if we're not a premiership threat for at least two years?
    Are you saying we have no chance if they don't trade Lake? Or just ingeneral no chance for two years?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    What a difference a year makes. 12 months ago this website was exploding with articles and post about signing Lake, and hope he doesn't go etc etc.
    He's had a lame year with fitness and preparation, an optimistic view could see that if he goes away and sorts himself out, has a good preseason and prepares corectly then maybe he could have a 2010 year in 2012????
    Wasn't Lake signed in 2009?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying we have no chance if they don't trade Lake? Or just ingeneral no chance for two years?
    The latter.

We are rebuilding. The young guys need a season or two of experience and the older guys will continue to fade or retire. Next year will be difficult, with a new coach and game plan and still inexperienced kids. Look how long it's taken Carlton with their draft picks.

At best we might be a bit of threat in Lake's last season. This is some logic to trading him, assuming we get a good return.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing for a bottom 4 or 6 team....

Post Thanks / Like

Be interesting if he says "I want out" and they say "No, you're required". That'll do him a world of good
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

The latter.

We are rebuilding. The young guys need a season or two of experience and the older guys will continue to fade or retire. Next year will be difficult, with a new coach and game plan and still inexperienced kids. Look how long it's taken Carlton with their draft picks.

At best we might be a bit of threat in Lake's last season. This is some logic to trading him, assuming we get a good return.
    New coach??? what do you know that we dont?
    Article says we are an embattled club, thats news to me also, won our last 2 and a win this week puts us just outside the 8.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't agree. I think for a variety of reasons we have had a poor year but we aren't at the rebuilding phase especially given the amount of younger guys we have on the list. We need to be prudent with our list management of the older guys (like we should every season) but we aren't at the rebuild stage yet.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    New coach??? what do you know that we dont?
    Article says we are an embattled club, thats news to me also, won our last 2 and a win this week puts us just outside the 8.
    Nah he doesn't, I think Dry Rot just thinks that if he says it often enough it will actually happen.

On Topic: I'm happy we're backing Brian and I hope he gets back into form. There's no reason we can't re-structure (rather than re-build) without entirely bottoming out while Lakey's still playing well. Hell I thought Scarlett was gone at the end of last year (Fletcher too) but he proved me very wrong, why can't Brian emulate that.