Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brian Lake told future lies with Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We are?
    A lot will need to change very quickly for this to occur.
    I think we will be, as long as we get a good run with injury(and not lose Ward).

I think this season has showed exactly how important Lake is to our side and hopefully he isn't finished just yet.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    And what do you think if we're not a premiership threat for at least two years?
    With a fit Lake we can be IMO. He is that important to our side.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Can't agree. I think for a variety of reasons we have had a poor year but we aren't at the rebuilding phase especially given the amount of younger guys we have on the list. We need to be prudent with our list management of the older guys (like we should every season) but we aren't at the rebuild stage yet.
    Well, Hall and Hudson will be leaving at season's end, Hargrave's foot and future is uncertain, Gilbee is contracted but unlikely to play Howard etc improve and many believe Cross is near the end given his limitations. I reckon Lake will try to leave.

That leaves Boyd Morris Murphy and Gia as our senior players from memory. At best we will have a very inexperienced forward line next year.

Looks like a rebuild to me.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    With a fit Lake we can be IMO. He is that important to our side.
    That is quite different to being competitive. Can't see it myself for at least 2 years.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think for a variety of reasons we have had a poor year but we aren't at the rebuilding phase especially given the amount of younger guys we have on the list. We need to be prudent with our list management of the older guys (like we should every season) but we aren't at the rebuild stage yet.
    Have to agree. We have (when fit) arguably the best midfield in the league (and that's on demonstrated match play, not hope), top tier defenders and a learning forward line.

It's not time for a clean out, but we need to move the right players on. If we continue to persist with blokes like Hudson, Gilbee and a few others next year if their form continues to be questionable, then we're stuffed.

We can rebound pretty quickly IMO, although I am one of those optimistic supporters that still thinks finals are a big shot this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Hall and Hudson will be leaving at season's end, Hargrave's foot and future is uncertain, Gilbee is contracted but unlikely to play Howard etc improve and many believe Cross is near the end given his limitations. I reckon Lake will try to leave.

That leaves Boyd Morris Murphy and Gia as our senior players from memory. At best we will have a very inexperienced forward line next year.

Looks like a rebuild to me.
    That's already begun.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

That is quite different to being competitive. Can't see it myself for at least 2 years.
    Fair enough, I see it differently. A fit Cooney and Lake and we are a completely different team.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

The latter.

We are rebuilding. The young guys need a season or two of experience and the older guys will continue to fade or retire. Next year will be difficult, with a new coach and game plan and still inexperienced kids. Look how long it's taken Carlton with their draft picks.

At best we might be a bit of threat in Lake's last season. This is some logic to trading him, assuming we get a good return.
    Can't agree. I think for a variety of reasons we have had a poor year but we aren't at the rebuilding phase especially given the amount of younger guys we have on the list. We need to be prudent with our list management of the older guys (like we should every season) but we aren't at the rebuild stage yet.
    Is it possible to have (for lack of a better word) a half rebuild? Or even a refurb' year where the team may still finish 7th - 9th???
    Due to certain players being injured some of the younger kids got a run. It doesn't mean they have a permanent spot in the team but it gives them an opportunity they would otherwise not have. I think players like Dahlhaus have made the most of Cooney's, Lake's, Shaggy's etc. injuries this year, and as you guys know these players mentioned a far from done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Is it possible to have (for lack of a better word) a half rebuild? Or even a refurb' year where the team may still finish 7th - 9th???
    Due to certain players being injured some of the younger kids got a run. It doesn't mean they have a permanent spot in the team but it gives them an opportunity they would otherwise not have. I think players like Dahlhaus have made the most of Cooney's, Lake's, Shaggy's etc. injuries this year, and as you guys know these players mentioned a far from done.
    Most teams change a fair portion of their list even when they have been successful so yes teams will often tweaks their lists a fraction more than they otherwise would prefer.
    The Pies for example had something like 11 changes to their premiership list last year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"