Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's Your Footy Bugbear?

Media outlets in general always going on about dream team and super coach and basing the better players on those stats.

Drew Morphett on ABC radio.

Post Thanks / Like

This year for me;

1. Essendon Fans - James Hird is not Jesus in disguise. And an 8 goal loss cannot be blamed on umpires.
    2. Collingwood Fans - Still think their the best team by a mile even if the Ladder reflects otherwise.
    3. Carlton Fans - Sitting in the top 4 doesn't mean you will make the Grand Final. Having 4? First draft picks won't hurt.
    3. Aker bagging Gia - He showed you, little twat. Notice his form following your ridiculous jealous comments of 'he is not upto AFL standard'? 6 weeks of pure brilliant football. Just fade out into the darkness already please.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no more dropping the ball rule, only holding the ball.

A player can get tackled & just let go of the ball, then it's classed as being knocked out because of the tackle. Some many players do it these days & nothing gets paid, hate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post

A player can get tackled & just let go of the ball, then it's classed as being knocked out because of the tackle. Some many players do it these days & nothing gets paid, hate it.
    There never has been a dropping the ball rule. It was always incorrect disposal or holding the ball. Now there is - no prior opportunity, which is always contentious and a grey area.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There never has been a dropping the ball rule. It was always incorrect disposal or holding the ball. Now there is - no prior opportunity, which is always contentious and a grey area.
    Incorrect disposal is what i was talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

That people think that both teams should get similar numbers of free kicks from the umpires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Deliberate out of bounds.

There are so many grey areas with this rule and the way umpires interpret it really gets up my nerves.

Examples:

* Ball kicked high in the air, pack goes up and defender punches the ball out of bounce - deliberate yes, paid no.

* Ball kicked low along the ground, defender slides along the ground, punches it out of bounds - Deliberate paid. Why can he punch it out when the ball is in the air, yet in the second situation its deliberate?

* Player kicks the ball 40, 50 metres up the ground, ball bounces and goes out of bounds - Free kick paid.

* Player handballs along the boundary to try and run on to the ball, but ball bounces wrong way - Free kick paid.

There are so many situations that can go either way, yet the umpire seems to think they know what the player was thinking.
    Because it's in a marking contest, you are allowed to spoil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by staphy View Post
    Because it's in a marking contest, you are allowed to spoil
    The gist of the post is true - the rule is a disaster. One of many Bartlett and his idiot mates have made a mess of. Geishen hasn't helped with his interpretation either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Rules - I don't even know what they are any more. Illogical, inconsistant, tokenism and stupid. I have noticed no-one argues in the crowd any more, these days when you cop a shocking decision most people just laugh.
    Don't for a second think that this hasn't been deliberately contrived by city hall, ie: respect umpire round, giving the umpires a profile far outside their natural station in the game. When someone like Shane McInernay is publicly praised for his wretched and game-changing decision in Riewoldt's favour in the 2009 PF, it merely confirms that the mug punter is being conditioned to accept all the garbage and hyperbole dished up in relation to the umpires.

Post Thanks / Like

Opposition team's supporters sitting amongst Bulldog members at a home game. Rats in the ranks, sneaky quiet until there is five minutes to go and they get up shouting once they sniff a win. I'd push them over the balcony if I was sure they wouldn't land on Bulldog supporters below.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The other one I neglected to mention is referring to players as plurals of themselves. "You've got your Chris Judd's and your Gary Ablett's" etc
    and the extension to this, to somehow give more weight to their argument. they throw up virtually the whole squad e.g. "Your Hodge's, Franklin's, Rioli's, Mitchell's, Sewell's etc etc"

My bugbear has become the proliferation of twilight games on a Sunday, shelving any chance we had of growing a healthy membership base from young families. If you want to look at declining numbers, in 5 years time look back and analyse what effect this form of fixturing has achieved. At least with Oakley his disdain for us was out in the open.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    That people think that both teams should get similar numbers of free kicks from the umpires.
    I'll second that one. Whenever a freind of mine raises it in an argument about a particular game, I simply reply 'if one team breaks the rules more often than the other, it stands to reason they'll give away more free kicks'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The other one I neglected to mention is referring to players as plurals of themselves. "You've got your Chris Judd's and your Gary Ablett's" etc
    You can blame your Gary Ayres's for that one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post

Imagine if they paid a free kick whenever this happens? It would drive you mad. Why would you bother going for the ball in a congested situation...far better to sweat on the bloke going for it.

My pet hate is our own supporters latching onto something they don't like early on in a game and never letting go i.e. criticising Gia, Hill, Williams etc, yelling out "kick it, kick it" every time we grab the ball, "go forward" when there is no-one in front of the player with the ball. You get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Press conferences annoy me. Especially if it's Ross Lyon or Mick Malthouse speaking..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.