Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade the right man to coach the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Interesting discussion.

Geelong were still the reigning premier in 2010 and still regularly smashed opposition teams to smithereens. Even as late as preliminary final night, there were many pundits who thought Geelong's game style would withstand the manic forward press adopted by Collingwood. History shows that the 2010 PF was Custer's last stand for corridor footy, but until then the press was still not a clear winner over the run-and-gun.
    The interesting thing with Geelong was that they lost both finals to teams that pressed (albeit the St Kilda game could've gone either way) and Bomber Thompson was unhappy that his players wouldn't commit to his new game plan and that the prelim final should be a wake up call to the team. It would be interesting to know what his new game plan was.

As you said, the Geelong-Collingwood prelim appeared to spell the death of play on at all costs footy, yet inexplicably we then spent the next preseason trying to further tweek that some game plan.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't agree with this Sedat, Rocket introduced the run and gun style towards the end of 2005, when we made a bid to get into the finals. We played some incredible football with all out attack in our last 6 or so games. Geelong took this game plan to another level, but it was really Rocket who started it.
    Thinking the same thing and vividly recall the media wetting themselves.
    Same thing Knights copied with a poorer list, it's interesting Clarkson's tried to beat the press by chipping precisely through it and failed.Bailey thinks you can play high forwards and handball your way through the corridor , failing badly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Thinking the same thing and vividly recall the media wetting themselves.
    Same thing Knights copied with a poorer list, it's interesting Clarkson's tried to beat the press by chipping precisely through it and failed.Bailey thinks you can play high forwards and handball your way through the corridor , failing badly.
    Watching the Geelong v Essendon match on the week end, I thought Essendon tried to handball too much and almost lost the game trying to handball out of the Geelong press. Lots of coaches trying different things to get out of the press.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue with the press, Clarko's cluster, zoning, etc is that it's a 18 man job. Run-and-gun allows a few players to be off their game as long as the rest can carry the load. Therefore, given our current playing list, looking forward to 2011 at the end of 2010 without the benefit of hindsight, beating the press would've looked far more inviting, and achievable, than implementing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Personally I'm still firmly in the replace Eade camp, we looked great against a team playing an outdated style, it suited the way we play, but I think this week will be a different story. If I see something other than horrible skills under actual pressure, unaccountable rebound out of our forward line, and something more than just bombing the ball into our outnumbered forwards, then I'll believe we're catching up to the other teams.
    So are we catching up?

Not being a smart arse... just interested in your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So are we catching up?

Not being a smart arse... just interested in your thoughts.
    We are, I mentioned in the training thread that we've been working on implementing a press properly, which also has the added benefit of giving our players a chance to practice trying to move the ball effectively against it. It's pleasing to see Eade put his hand up and acknowledge he got it wrong and is now trying to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

We are, I mentioned in the training thread that we've been working on implementing a press properly, which also has the added benefit of giving our players a chance to practice trying to move the ball effectively against it. It's pleasing to see Eade put his hand up and acknowledge he got it wrong and is now trying to fix it.
    While it is pretty evident that we have changed some things up it's also a big help when we have some players in our team who are able to implement some of these changes. As good as the likes of Hahn, Johnson & Higgins can be (were) there defensive efforts are (were) lacking so bringing in someone like Dahlhaus is a god-send.

Also helps when your best players are playing well as you can have all the structures & plans that you like, but if your best players are out of form or out of the side you aren't going to see the same output from there replacements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    While it is pretty evident that we have changed some things up it's also a big help when we have some players in our team who are able to implement some of these changes. As good as the likes of Hahn, Johnson & Higgins can be (were) there defensive efforts are (were) lacking so bringing in someone like Dahlhaus is a god-send.

Also helps when your best players are playing well as you can have all the structures & plans that you like, but if your best players are out of form or out of the side you aren't going to see the same output from there replacements.
    Agree, Cooney playing well makes a huge difference.

We knew for years what Hahn, Johnson, Higgins, and Gia were going to bring (or not bring), but we still went with them regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

We knew for years what Hahn, Johnson, Higgins, and Gia were going to bring (or not bring), but we still went with them regardless.
    Yep and we didn't have anyone else to replace them, plus they got us into three prelims (not a GF) and they kicked more goals then any other team in the past 5 years.

All past history anf football has moved on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As per earlier posts in this thread these guys almost got us to a couple of GF's so it wasn't all bad.

I guess it's all water under the bridge now and as the pollies say we are moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket has done a good job re-casting the team, injecting some new players in and getting us back up and running

That said, and he would likely admit it, the next 7 weeks are very important, and we haven't achieved much yet

I really respect that he hasn't ruled a line through our players the way some of our supporters have. His selection of Josh Hill on the weekend was a case in point. Josh may never reach his potential with us, or anywhere else, and may not be with us next year, but Eade has given him another opportunity to show he can be part of our future.

Coaching is a tough game and its foolish to ever completely write someone off, particularly if they are good enough to make an AFL list. By the same token it would be foolish to write rocket off.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, some players can only take you so far as harsh as it sounds.

Post Thanks / Like

This.

It also helps to have small forwards who can play as small forwards, rather than lead up targets.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't you putting words into Rocket's mouth, or have I missed an interview somewhere? Rocket acknowledged that the coaches had been slow to recognise the impact the lack of run from defence, due to the absence from injury of key defenders, was having on the ability of the side to implement its game plan. This has now been addressed by putting Higgins back to help out Murphy, Gilbee and Wood. Added to this has been the improved form and fitness of Cooney and the side is now able to implement the desired game plan and achieve positive results. Bringing in Dahlhaus, possible due to Hill's long term injury, has also added vitality to the forward line and made a significant difference to the forward pressure.

The most significant factors in Sunday's win were the defensive match ups, Hudson's form and, to a lessor degree, Barry's return to some decent form. I don't see anywhere in this Eade saying he got it wrong. I think Sunday's win simply confirms what Eade has been saying in his interviews and re-affirms the direction he has been taking. To infer that this win is evidence that "Eade got it wrong" is unjustified and a touch petty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Agree, some players can only take you so far as harsh as it sounds.
    Would that be North Melbourne and Fremantle talking about Leigh Brown?