Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade the right man to coach the Bulldogs

I'm delighted to see Rocket finally changing with the times. Since i've been back I've seen 4 wins and I've liked what i have seen.
    As posters will remember I have not been happy with Eade for a while and doubted he could turn this group around. I'm loving our intensity and tackling pressure and its made a huge difference. Having some fit and firing guns back also helps but the game plan helps more.
    After watching the way we are playing the last few weeks I keep thinking why has Rocket waited so long to change our style? That is the biggest question we should be asking and thats the biggest reason I still feel disappointed with Eades coaching. We need to be the first to change and not the last.

Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the season is still the right time to see if Eade should be given a contract for another 2 years or not and nothing much has changed except that I do believe he is in a vastly better position than he was 6 weeks back.

The challenges for the club is to learn from the mistakes of others and not make a Port Power type reappointment only to see a subsequent failure shortly after and for the club to assess the playing list to see if a grand final is still a realistic possibility within the next 2 seasons.

The concerning part is that we still have a lot of our better players in the twilight of their careers and I'm not sure if a quick rebuild might be the best course for the club to follow.
    If that is the case, then the question around if a coach going beyond 7 years in charge of the players without a premiership or even a grand final berth to fall back on is the right man to start another rebuild.
    I don't question Eade's credentials in the slightest but the stone cold facts are that not many coaches would be given another opportunity to rebuild the playing group.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Aren't you putting words into Rocket's mouth , or have I missed an interview somewhere? Rocket acknowledged that the coaches had been slow to recognise the impact the lack of run from defence, due to the absence from injury of key defenders, was having on the ability of the side to implement its game plan. This has now been addressed by putting Higgins back to help out Murphy, Gilbee and Wood. Added to this has been the improved form and fitness of Cooney and the side is now able to implement the desired game plan and achieve positive results. Bringing in Dahlhaus, possible due to Hill's long term injury, has also added vitality to the forward line and made a significant difference to the forward pressure.

The most significant factors in Sunday's win were the defensive match ups, Hudson's form and, to a lessor degree, Barry's return to some decent form. I don't see anywhere in this Eade saying he got it wrong. I think Sunday's win simply confirms what Eade has been saying in his interviews and re-affirms the direction he has been taking. To infer that this win is evidence that "Eade got it wrong" is unjustified and a touch petty.
    Not at all, I don't need to hear a half arsed press confrence to know we've changed our position. You only need to attend training (like I do) to see it clearly, plus the obvious tactical change on match day (not just yesterday BTW but the past month). You can judge things however you like, and you're to you opinion regardless of how you formed it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    At the end of the season is still the right time to see if Eade should be given a contract for another 2 years or not and nothing much has changed except that I do believe he is in a vastly better position than he was 6 weeks back.

The challenges for the club is to learn from the mistakes of others and not make a Port Power type reappointment only to see a subsequent failure shortly after and for the club to assess the playing list to see if a grand final is still a realistic possibility within the next 2 seasons.

The concerning part is that we still have a lot of our better players in the twilight of their careers and I'm not sure if a quick rebuild might be the best course for the club to follow.
    If that is the case, then the question around if a coach going beyond 7 years in charge of the players without a premiership or even a grand final berth to fall back on is the right man to start another rebuild.
    I don't question Eade's credentials in the slightest but the stone cold facts are that not many coaches would be given another opportunity to rebuild the playing group.
    Agree with all this.

It's a tough one, because whilst we have a few aging players, we also have a pretty strong core that are in or are getting close to hitting their primes. I would never advocate going trade-crazy and topping up the list chasing a flag, and I'm more of the view that our list, fit and healthy with some continued natural development of players and the game plan we can be around the mark again fairly quickly.

Continuing to add quality kids through the draft is a must and besides perhaps being a bit more ruthless with our list management our squad and depth on a whole isn't too bad.

As you say, at the end of the season the club should be in a better position to decide what path to take, and performance on-field for the remainder of the season probably plays an important part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Not at all, I don't need to hear a half arsed press confrence to know we've changed our position. You only need to attend training (like I do) to see it clearly, plus the obvious tactical change on match day (not just yesterday BTW but the past month). You can judge things however you like, and you're to you opinion regardless of how you formed it.
    Agreed, it started against the Saints but has gotten progressively better each week.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I agree with the main substance of your post, both Malthouse and Worsfold were given the time, and it's paid off. Thompson also — they wanted him gone, if you remember, just before Geelong found the summit.

I'd put the “realistic possibility of a grand final” timeline you mention at 3 or 4 years. I just don't see a better coaching option out there than Rodney Eade to get us there before this time. Nobody is going to come in and win us a flag in 2012. Not going to happen. 2013 is just as unlikely, unless the troops to do it are already here, in which case, it begs the question doesn't it? I think if we're talking a playing group rebuild, we're talking 2014-15 as a realistic time frame to be pushing for the P.

You're excluded from my next point because you don't do this at all, but I must say I find it hard to pot one man: It's not Eade's fault we haven't won a flag, it's not Josh Hill's or Gia's or Johnson's or Smorgon's, or whoever… it's the whole lot of them, as a team.

The only question that needs to be answered at the end of the year: Is Rocket the best man to lead the troops to the next battlefield? Whether he won the last battle is irrelevant to my view — it's about leadership and who's going to implement it in the best fashion for the club.

Anything else is sacking for sacking's sake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Whilst I agree with the main substance of your post, both Malthouse and Worsfold were given the time, and it's paid off. Thompson also — they wanted him gone, if you remember, just before Geelong found the summit.

I'd put the “realistic possibility of a grand final” timeline you mention at 3 or 4 years. I just don't see a better coaching option out there than Rodney Eade to get us there before this time. Nobody is going to come in and win us a flag in 2012. Not going to happen. 2013 is just as unlikely, unless the troops to do it are already here, in which case, it begs the question doesn't it? I think if we're talking a playing group rebuild, we're talking 2014-15 as a realistic time frame to be pushing for the P.

You're excluded from my next point because you don't do this at all, but I must say I find it hard to pot one man: It's not Eade's fault we haven't won a flag, it's not Josh Hill's or Gia's or Johnson's or Smorgon's, or whoever… it's the whole lot of them, as a team.

The only question that needs to be answered at the end of the year: Is Rocket the best man to lead the troops to the next battlefield? Whether he won the last battle is irrelevant to my view — it's about leadership and who's going to implement it in the best fashion for the club.

Anything else is sacking for sacking's sake.
    I don't think he has another four year window to get us to a grand final and if the list needs to be rebuilt then we just about have to look elsewhere.
    Wallace was forever in a rebuild mode and it certainly runs thin over time but at least he had the excuses of a poor training facility and having to work to a significantly reduced salary cap.

As much as I rate Eade as a match day coach I don't think he could be given another two or three years unless we are convinced he can take us to the next level.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he has another four year window to get us to a grand final and if the list needs to be rebuilt then we just about have to look elsewhere.
    Wallace was forever in a rebuild mode and it certainly runs thin over time but at least he had the excuses of a poor training facility and having to work to a significantly reduced salary cap.

As much as I rate Eade as a match day coach I don't think he could be given another two or three years unless we are convinced he can take us to the next level.
    The question that also needs to be factored in is in our current financial state can we ever get to the next level?

It just seems that it is getting harder and harder every year to compete with the 'power' clubs both on & off the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The question that also needs to be factored in is in our current financial state can we ever get to the next level?

It just seems that it is getting harder and harder every year to compete with the 'power' clubs both on & off the field.
    I bloody hope so otherwise I am wasting my time waiting for a premiership to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I bloody hope so otherwise I am wasting my time waiting for a premiership to come.
    I'm not wasting my time. Yes, I want to see a flag. As much as anybody. But I also just love rocking up and watching the game, so I wouldn't see my time as wasted.

EDIT: Oh no! Am I accepting mediocrity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I'm not wasting my time. Yes, I want to see a flag. As much as anybody. But I also just love rocking up and watching the game, so I wouldn't see my time as wasted.
    Mate, I love going as well even after 33 years (28 as a paid up member). If I do not see a flag in my time on this earth, it will be very disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly disagree on Wallace as he was always looking to top up, giving us players like Hunter and Bandy and failing to give opportunity to the drafted youngsters. All those good players drafted by Scott Clayton never really got extended chances until Eade came on the scene. I know Murph, Gia and Gilbs plus Hargraves had a few games but it was generally the last option for Terry.

The only player that developed significantly with Wallace was Nathan Brown.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Get used to it. Free agency isn't going to make it any easier for clubs like us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I strongly disagree on Wallace as he was always looking to top up, giving us players like Hunter and Bandy and failing to give opportunity to the drafted youngsters. All those good players drafted by Scott Clayton never really got extended chances until Eade came on the scene. I know Murph, Gia and Gilbs plus Hargraves had a few games but it was generally the last option for Terry.

The only player that developed significantly with Wallace was Nathan Brown.
    This is so true, yet every chance Terry gets he wants praise for drafting the 1999 players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

A coach (like any other manager) needs to work within the constraints of the club and if there comes a time that he can't deliver the required results then the club needs to find someone who can possibly do better.

I don't accept yet that the limitations our club has in the way of finances should lower our expectations because with a salary cap in place and a draft that evens things out significantly for our competition (as compared to the EPL for example) I still believe that if you work smart you can get the rewards.