Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade the right man to coach the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A coach (like any other manager) needs to work within the constraints of the club and if there comes a time that he can't deliver the required results then the club needs to find someone who can possibly do better.

I don't accept yet that the limitations our club has in the way of finances should lower our expectations because with a salary cap in place and a draft that evens things out significantly for our competition (as compared to the EPL for example) I still believe that if you work smart you can get the rewards.
    So do I, and I would be extremely disappointed if I heard that anyone involved with the club thought otherwise.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I strongly disagree on Wallace as he was always looking to top up, giving us players like Hunter and Bandy and failing to give opportunity to the drafted youngsters. All those good players drafted by Scott Clayton never really got extended chances until Eade came on the scene. I know Murph, Gia and Gilbs plus Hargraves had a few games but it was generally the last option for Terry.

The only player that developed significantly with Wallace was Nathan Brown.
    Liberatore??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Liberatore??
    That was a reinvention.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That was a reinvention.
    From being dropped off a list to a Brownlow falls in the significant development to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    From being dropped off a list to a Brownlow falls in the significant development to me
    He won a Brownlow in 1990, Wallace was appointed coach in 1996. Where is the connection?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Oops i must be getting old and senile

Post Thanks / Like

A coach (like any other manager) needs to work within the constraints of the club and if there comes a time that he can't deliver the required results then the club needs to find someone who can possibly do better.

I don't accept yet that the limitations our club has in the way of finances should lower our expectations because with a salary cap in place and a draft that evens things out significantly for our competition (as compared to the EPL for example) I still believe that if you work smart you can get the rewards.
    6 teams spend significantly less on their football departments than the AFL average. All 6 are currently outside the 8.

Not impossible, but a hell of a sight harder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Mate, I love going as well even after 33 years (28 as a paid up member). If I do not see a flag in my time on this earth, it will be very disappointing.
    I agree . I 'll be inconsolable if we don't snag one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    6 teams spend significantly less on their football departments than the AFL average. All 6 are currently outside the 8.

Not impossible, but a hell of a sight harder.
    I think we still have a number of opportunities to improve things within the club without necessarily needing to spend more money so whilst the investments by some of the bigger clubs might make it more challenging now we are far from being out of contention.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I agree . I 'll be inconsolable if we don't snag one!
    I've got my sense of humour back and LMAO to this comment.

If I make to the age of 80 I'll probably be in convolutal care and be happy just to make it through the day without soiling myself. I doubt very much that I will lose sleep knowing the Dogs hadn't won a flag, but each to their own.

Post Thanks / Like

I vaguely remember seeing some old men in tears walking out of the 97 prelim (I was 19) muttering 'I'll never see one now'

*It doesn't define life, though I can imagine if in 40 odd years time I'm terminal and in full knowledge the end will come within days, I do hope one of the memories I'll chat about with family is that year/s we won a flag. I'll be a touch sad if the conversation with loved ones goes something like 'gee we were close in 85, 97 & 09....'

*That wasn't meant to be overly morbid if anyone read it as such - and I'm pretty sure the football conversation would only last a few minutes!
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I think we still have a number of opportunities to improve things within the club without necessarily needing to spend more money so whilst the investments by some of the bigger clubs might make it more challenging now we are far from being out of contention.
    You have probably been over these before, but what sort of opportunities should we as a club be looking at?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree, and we were close enough the last few years to suggest that we were just a bit of luck away from the big dance, but have any of the lower spenders/ smaller clubs actually won a premiership in the last ten years? I can only remember Port winning and getting to a GF (but I think they are a special case, and their first premiership was helped by AFL concessions they got upon first joining the comp), and the Saints have been close, but the other winners (Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast, Collingwood, Sydney, Brisbane) are all big/high spending clubs.

North was probably the last 'small' club that had any kind of sustained success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    North was probably the last 'small' club that had any kind of sustained success.
    But back then everyone was training out of a tin shed.

Sport science and it's use has come on in leaps & bounds since then, but our partnership with VU is one area where a club like ours without big dollars can hold ground against the 'power' clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But back then everyone was training out of a tin shed.

Sport science and it's use has come on in leaps & bounds since then, but our partnership with VU is one area where a club like ours without big dollars can hold ground against the 'power' clubs.
    Yep. All of the above -- the partnership with VU is really a competitive advantage that we simply have to exploit.