Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade the right man to coach the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Exactly. My old man has always told me ad nauseum: “It's not how much money you earn that matters, son. It's how much you spend, and what you spend it on.”

A coaching decision shouldn't just be about the playing list. That's not even his job. It should be about how far he can take a player, how far he can develop them, and he has shown for 7 years a gift at getting the most out of guys like Lake, Murphy, etc.
    Knowing Malthouse personally the playing list and coaching goes very much hand in hand.
    A player would never be drafted in a Malthouse coached club unless it had his stamp of approval. I would be both surprised and disappointed if the same wasn't the case with Rocket. After all the Coach has responsibility for having the best players available at his disposal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Knowing Malthouse personally the playing list and coaching goes very much hand in hand.
    A player would never be drafted in a Malthouse coached club unless it had his stamp of approval. I would be both surprised and disappointed if the same wasn't the case with Rocket. After all the Coach has responsibility for having the best players available at his disposal.
    Rocket has little say in it. The recruiter will fill him in about who he is interested in but Rocket lets him have his head.

Rocket told us before the draft last year that "we would like an early pick because we are looking at a kid called Dion someone (it was Prestia)". Rocket didn't even know his second name.

He did tell us that he has input into what type of player he would like. He asked Dalrymple for small defenders in the 2009 draft (we took Howard and Tutt). Neither are close checking, lockdown defenders and that may have influenced us towards Schofield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Rocket has little say in it. The recruiter will fill him in about who he is interested in but Rocket lets him have his head.

Rocket told us before the draft last year that "we would like an early pick because we are looking at a kid called Dion someone (it was Prestia)". Rocket didn't even know his second name.

He did tell us that he has input into what type of player he would like. He asked Dalrymple for small defenders in the 2009 draft (we took Howard and Tutt). Neither are close checking, lockdown defenders and that may have influenced us towards Schofield.
    This is exactly the type of input the senior coach should have, and no more. Put simply, Rocket doesn't have the time to adequately follow and assess junior talent.

I'd imagine Malthouse is the same. He would tell the recruiters what he wants, and he may run a ruler over their selections before draft day, but recruiting has to be left to the recruiters.