Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bold Bulldogs' new tricks

THE Western Bulldogs have worked themselves back into the finals race. But the team which has crept within two points of the top eight after a shocking start to the season is doing so with a significantly different philosophy.

For the duration of coach Rodney Eade's seven-season tenure at Whitten Oval, the Bulldogs have been seen as an attacking and relatively freewheeling side. But it's a more cautious approach that has carried the Dogs into the finals mix over the past month, and the numbers speak for themselves as to how effective it's proving.

Eade alluded briefly to the change after the Bulldogs' win over Melbourne last Friday night. Yesterday he conceded it was probably the biggest change to the way his side played in the past three years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1RMxnMoBk
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bold Bulldogs' new tricks

Lets beat some decent teams before we start getting on the bandwagon.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Bold Bulldogs' new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree the only team we have beaten in the 8 was Melbourne with their form hardly a great win. We got close to Freo with our defence going to sleep main problem [Brian Lake] whom i think still should be traded to G.W.S for young talent.Play well against the Blue baggers and we might be on the right path

Post Thanks / Like

I read this article this morning and thought the same thing.

They compared stats to our last 3 games, which were against Gold Coast, Adelaide and Melbourne. If we couldn't improve against those teams, then there really was something wrong.

So far we have beaten

Gold Coast 17th
    Brisbane 15th
    Adelaide 14th
    Richmond 13th
    Melbourne 9th

I really am sick and tired of journo's reacting to one or two wins/losses.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree.......

Post Thanks / Like

Thats how I read it, fairly pointless going over stat vs stat when we are comparing 3 games against poor opponents on the day.

But... some of our game play does seem to be coming together and the Higgins move down back seems a win. Would love to beat the Blues, that would be a nice 'upset' win for a change (even though most tipped Melbourne last week we were way better than them on paper if not form).

Post Thanks / Like

Half glass full, people!! Even as a confirmed pessimist, I'm far more interested in the idea of scraping into the final 8 than bombing out.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Half glass full, people!! Even as a confirmed pessimist, I'm far more interested in the idea of scraping into the final 8 than bombing out.
    I think we all are mate, the general sentiment of the article is great but comparing the stats of three matches against feeble opposition means nothing. Would love those stats to continue for another week, three more weeks and I will be getting excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Oops! That should read "Glass half full"...no prize for guessing who's on holidays?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the record I am always on the bandwagon, the more the better, especially if they are buying membership.