• Staying

60 62.50%
  • Going

36 37.50%
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward - Staying or going?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    One of the biggest problems in retaining an absolute future star in Ward is the lack of big investors like Richard Pratt in the manner in which Carlton was able to outbid Collingwood to get Judd. It looks like a group of businessmen are now doing likewise at Melbourne to retain Scully. There is now close to 120 players on some form of marketing agreement in the AFL outside the salary cap. I would imagine that very few of these are with the Bulldogs. We desperately need to keep Callan Ward but it is still problemmatical without a shiney white knight to appear from somewhere.
    Dimma and your "mystery backer", come on down!

Post Thanks / Like

I have got an idea, lets all us woofers put in 5 grand, the woof white knight society.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hughy31 View Post
    At a guess 700k net over the 5 years to live in west sydney with no family and family to play for a side that wont be successful in that 5 years.
    Stay and still on a great wage with family and captain of the club in the future and a hero ala Chris Grant forever... no use being the richest man in the cemetery
    Why would he have to live in western Sydney?
    The curse is dead.

WBFC4EVER Guest

Think Ward is more likely to stay now given 1) the Scully offer; and 2) didn't he have a couple of weeks to make a decision? The Age article was over 2 weeks ago now and the Scully offer has made the press!

Even GWS can't have a couple of players on their list with 5-year, $5 million deals!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Why would he have to live in western Sydney?
    Yeah, often wondered myself how that total myth eventuated. Anybody would think there were no cars or public transport in Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Yeah, often wondered myself how that total myth eventuated. Anybody would think there were no cars or public transport in Sydney.
    Who would want to live anywhere in Sydney ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I have got an idea, lets all us woofers put in 5 grand, the woof white knight society.
    I'd have to remortgage my house...no one's worth that.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Traffic is shite in Sydney. Oh, and Sydney is shite too.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Who would want to live anywhere in Sydney ?
    You could say the same for Melbourne.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

You could say the same for Melbourne.
    I couldnt
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt
    I guess it would be different if you were born there, but the only thing I like about the city is the footy.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it would be different if you were born there, but the only thing I like about the city is the footy.
    I wasnt born in either but every time I have been to Sydney its raining, its ugly , its concrete it has horribly old ugly looking suburbs and the roads?? wouldnt mind two car space not one and a half.
    Wardy lives in the west, easy to get in and out of, plenty of space, beaches 10 minutes away and he plays in the best footy team in Australia, why would he leave??
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Been thinking the same thing myself.
    The game is inching towards the Premier League, unfortunately!

The difference between the AFL and the Premier League is that the English FA know that they need to have a handful of strong clubs to compete successfully in Europe, and build their brands internationally (and the brand and interest in English soccer).

Although in the AFL, the competition thrives on a level playing field, and it drives up television audiences.

This season, anyone apart from Port, Brisbane and the Gold Coast (and possibly Adelaide) were until a week or two ago had a realistic chance of playing finals - which drives TV audiences, attendances and bottom line revenue.

Its not the VFL suburban competition anymore, the AFL is competing for TV audiences with international soccer, domestic soccer, NRL, Super Rugby etc.

If they get back to the dodgy old days of the VFL where a handful of clubs dominated then it will be a slow and painful decline for Australian Football.
    Last edited by BulldogBelle; 13-07-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I am fascinated to see how the AFL react to Scully getting 3rd party payments.

So far the AFL have simply let them through but this time it specifically effects their baby. I half expect them to come out and rule any 3rd party payments to Scully as being a breach of the salary cap.

Which they have done with respect to Scully

But it depends how throughly the AFL audit each player...

It would be pretty simply for a team to say "hey champ, come over and play for us, we will get an accountant to set up a Company for you of which only you and your wife are directors of, and we will get x sponsor to make payments to that company for a bs reason"

Or "we will get one of our sponsors to give you a cushy job that pays $300k per annum"

Or "we will get our sponsor to give your wife a cushy job that pays $300k per annum"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    His sister was watching the game in a yarraville pub on the weekend and would not be drawn on his future . I would not be surprised though if he honestly does not know what the f#%$ to do at this point . Apparently she had some pretty hilarious things to say though about some other players who would not hit the contest with the same intensity as her brother. Sounds like a fun gal to watch the footy with
    Carlton players I hope