96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Staying

60 62.50%
  • Going

36 37.50%
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward - Staying or going?

The following is based on a number of assumptions.

1. That if Ward went, we would receive a Band 2 compensation pick.
    2. If compensation pick is traded and the receiving club uses them after this year, they can be based on the receiving team's finishing position that year.
    3. Compensation is known before the GWS 17yo's are 'auctioned off'

If all three occur, which I believe is a distinct possibility, then it might be possible to offer GWS our Band 2 pick for someone like O'Meara. Whilst it's likely to only be a pick #15-#20 for us, for GWS, if they finish last in 2012 (likely) it could be as high as pick #2 for them.

GWS don't want picks in this year's draft according to Adelaide (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...0/default.aspx) and the possibility of such a high pick in a strong draft could really appeal to them.

For us it would mean losing Ward and gaining O'Meara (although he couldn't play until 2013). Not sure how likely this is but have given it some thought and can't find anything obvious that would stop it happening.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I am fascinated to see how the AFL react to Scully getting 3rd party payments.

So far the AFL have simply let them through but this time it specifically effects their baby. I half expect them to come out and rule any 3rd party payments to Scully as being a breach of the salary cap.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...6/default.aspx

God the AFL are predictable.

And they wonder why people are so cynical about them.

Post Thanks / Like

What a joke! Very predictable, looking after their costly love child.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...6/default.aspx

God the AFL are predictable.

And they wonder why people are so cynical about them.
    I actually think this is great. Continuing to allow these payments would seriously affect our ability to hold on to players in the future. Well done to the AFL for realising they effed up.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I actually think this is great. Continuing to allow these payments would seriously affect our ability to hold on to players in the future. Well done to the AFL for realising they effed up.

This is just absolute fluff from the AFL.

Unless the AFL demand to audit every players tax return - every year, then there is no way of knowing what 3rd party payments have been made to players.

We dont see Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton loosing any of their stars, because the back room deals with sponsors/supporters/3rd parties keep the stars at those clubs.

These deals arent written into the players contracts, but they are happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very much like the AFL is pushing for Scully to go to GWS. Is AA their real recruiting manager?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Who would want to live anywhere in Sydney ?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Traffic is shite in Sydney. Oh, and Sydney is shite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    This is just absolute fluff from the AFL.

Unless the AFL demand to audit every players tax return - every year, then there is no way of knowing what 3rd party payments have been made to players.

We dont see Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton loosing any of their stars, because the back room deals with sponsors/supporters/3rd parties keep the stars at those clubs.

These deals arent written into the players contracts, but they are happening.
    And things aren't about to change. With teams dominating, the AFL's view is obviously that it's a great thing, having these unbeatable teams with massive supporter bases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nawrocki View Post
    Sounds very much like the AFL is pushing for Scully to go to GWS. Is AA their real recruiting manager?
    I wonder whether Scully really qualifies as the marquee player. I mean, he's been in the game five minutes, it's not as if he's a name like Franklin or Judd or Ablett. He'll only ever be remembered for ripping the heart out of a club and taking off after 2 years, he'll be viewed as the mercenary. Ward is different, he's been with us longer, but again, not really a “marquee player”.

They really needed to snare Dale Thomas or Pendlebury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Absolutely it is.

My disgust is just how they change the rules to suit what they want to achieve at any given time. There is simply no explanation for Carlton to be able to get away with the Judd deal, other than one of the AFL's cash cows were languishing and they wanted them back up the ladder and pulling 80,000 to games again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    He'll only ever be remembered for ripping the heart out of a club and taking off after 2 years, he'll be viewed as the mercenary. Ward is different, he's been with us longer, but again, not really a “marquee player”.

They really needed to snare Dale Thomas or Pendlebury.
    He'll be a Nathan Buckley in a nutshell, not an unfair comparison.

They wont get a marquee player - Scully & Carlisle are about as big as it gets so far.
    Even a Mitch Clark would be massive for them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely it is.

My disgust is just how they change the rules to suit what they want to achieve at any given time. There is simply no explanation for Carlton to be able to get away with the Judd deal, other than one of the AFL's cash cows were languishing and they wanted them back up the ladder and pulling 80,000 to games again.
    Don't like the article attached to that one SS 'Giants should forget Scully'
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely it is.

100%. The AFL have no choice but to allow the Judd deal now, because they signed off on it, but they should be held to account for signing off on it in the first place. Absolutely stinks that a player can be paid $1 million outside the cap. It makes a mockery of the sport.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in yarraville and just saw on the traders' Anderson St noticeboard that they have stuck up several articles about Callan and a sign 'We're so proud of you Callan.' it seemed very poignant to me. Will anyone even know who he is in western Sydney?

Post Thanks / Like

Two sides to the coin:
    1. Typical push-over tactics of the AFL and their lovechild to make it OK to throw bucket loads of money to players. The only weapons against this are the decisions that are made by the players themselves to not accept these offers made to them.
    This is why the changes in salary rules of FIFA and domestic leagues over the years in soccer have made players one of the most disloyal, greedy and glory chasing bunch of them all. We can only hope Ward asks himself serious questions on where his loyalties are and whether it is ultimately worth it for him to go up there in the long term.
    The question we ask ourselves is: are Ward and Scully worth that amount of money? ABSOLUTELY NOT. They are both young, still need more experience, are quite frankly not champions (but will be), and I believe are nowhere near as good as a mature player who, if they do go to GWS, earns much less than what they will.

2. Let's imagine we are all employees of a corporation that pays well, you have a chance to move up the corporate ladder over time and you are happy with what you have. Now let's throw another ingredient into the mix: an offer from another employer who will offer you twice the money and you are offered a higher position (which cuts off years of working up the ladder). You are independent, want to live comfortably and want to succeed in life. What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Scray View Post
    Two sides to the coin:
    1. Typical push-over tactics of the AFL and their lovechild to make it OK to throw bucket loads of money to players. The only weapons against this are the decisions that are made by the players themselves to not accept these offers made to them.
    This is why the changes in salary rules of FIFA and domestic leagues over the years in soccer have made players one of the most disloyal, greedy and glory chasing bunch of them all. We can only hope Ward asks himself serious questions on where his loyalties are and whether it is ultimately worth it for him to go up there in the long term.
    The question we ask ourselves is: are Ward and Scully worth that amount of money? ABSOLUTELY NOT. They are both young, still need more experience, are quite frankly not champions (but will be), and I believe are nowhere near as good as a mature player who, if they do go to GWS, earns much less than what they will.

2. Let's imagine we are all employees of a corporation that pays well, you have a chance to move up the corporate ladder over time and you are happy with what you have. Now let's throw another ingredient into the mix: an offer from another employer who will offer you twice the money and you are offered a higher position (which cuts off years of working up the ladder). You are independent, want to live comfortably and want to succeed in life. What would you do?
    You stay if your employer is the Western Bulldogs
    Bring back the biff