• Staying

60 62.50%
  • Going

36 37.50%
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward - Staying or going?

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I'm a fiercely loyal kinda guy: I'd stay right where I was, if I was happy in that job. I can't go into details, but I did exactly that just recently and stuck by my boss, who pays me pretty average but has looked out for me in every other way possible for close to 5 years.
    Its not just about money, you have to enjoy what you are doing, you have to enjoy the environment you work in, including who you work with, who you report to and the facilitied available. I have been in jobs where I was highly paid for doing not much but just didn't enjoy going to work.

Hopefully Callan will weight up everything,not just the money.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Its not just about money, you have to enjoy what you are doing, you have to enjoy the environment you work in, including who you work with, who you report to and the facilitied available. I have been in jobs where I was highly paid for doing not much but just didn't enjoy going to work.

Hopefully Callan will weight up everything,not just the money.
    I agree with all of that (and I am sure he is weighing everything up) but if the difference is several hundred thousand dollars per year - for 5 years - he just has to take it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that with the retirement of Barry Hall that this will free up a few $$$ and also open a space on the veterans list (was Barry on the vets list)? Not sure but Barrys retirement could have a hand to play in keeping Callan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I suspect their cap is bottomless. The AFL will provide whatever it takes to build the list Grubby Allan is seeking.

If Scully is being offered $1m per season what would they offer a marquee player like a Pendlebury or Thomas ?

As a Bulldog lifer optimism abounds but gee it's going to take a heavy financial sacrifice to hold young Cal. Hopefully Cal proves to be one of those types where money isn't the primary driver.
    The question remains can we see another act like Chris Grant's decision to stay when offered a fortune to play with Port Adelaide. The AFL have got it all wrong when financially struggling Melbourne clubs like the Demons and the Bulldogs are targeted to lose quality young players who have hardly served their apprenticeship as in the case of Scully and Callan Ward. We deserve better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4by2 View Post
    Is it possible that with the retirement of Barry Hall that this will free up a few $$$ and also open a space on the veterans list (was Barry on the vets list)? Not sure but Barrys retirement could have a hand to play in keeping Callan.
    Was thinking the same thing myself. & NO, Barry wasn't at club long enough for veterans list

Post Thanks / Like

Now that every one thinks he is going. Will we get second round pick for him? I personally think Sheedy really hates us so I doubt we will get much. Especially since we have 0 pull with the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I hope our recent good form and the Newfound enthusiasm about/around te club has been enough to keep him here. If he had to make the decision five weeks ago you'd think he would have definitely left, but if he had to make the call this week? You never know.
    I hope then that last weeks midfield performance where he almost played a lone hand in a game we should have had the desire to win doesn't make him want away.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or has he taken his game to a whole new level ever since the speculation increased about him moving to GWS? He has gone from being a hard-nosed midfielder with potential to just about our best midfielder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I agree with all of that (and I am sure he is weighing everything up) but if the difference is several hundred thousand dollars per year - for 5 years - he just has to take it.
    This depends on one's motivation. If dollars are your driver then it might seem a no brainer. Not everyone is motivated this way.

From a personal reflection, having spent most of my career somewhat lost in the world of big corporates and their financial drivers to then making a life choice to move my skills to the not for profit world where the key drivers are more of a social orientation i.e giving back, I see and experience a committed workforce who everyday sacrifice big dollars for the sake of a different richness.

Not everyone gets it, I just hope Cal does, it's not like he's looking for food stamps.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to think it may be but I feel he is gone.

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Na, still reckon he'll stay. Will captain the team after Boyd and be the role a good 8 or so years...

Post Thanks / Like

Hearing that GWS were after Hall gives me confidence that they think that he will stay.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nawrocki View Post
    Hearing that GWS were after Hall gives me confidence that they think that he will stay.

Fingers crossed anyway.
    Nawrocki, that's an interesting observation.
    Last edited by Doc26; 21-07-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Surely GWS can't afford 2 of these huge contracts?
    If they get Scully; who seems to be a bigger priority and IMO is gawn, surely they can't then pay a similar $5mil deal to Ward?
    Either way, i was happy to hear Scully say he is putting off talks till the end of the season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shifty View Post
    Surely GWS can't afford 2 of these huge contracts?
    If they get Scully; who seems to be a bigger priority and IMO is gawn, surely they can't then pay a similar $5mil deal to Ward?
    Either way, i was happy to hear Scully say he is putting off talks till the end of the season
    He's already gone. His manager saying things like “his decision at the end of the year” and “Scully has enjoyed his two years at Melbourne” sound to me like the decision is well and truly made. (I'm talking about Scully)