Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ward could be worth two prime picks

THE AFL has not ruled out Western Bulldog Callan Ward joining Tom Scully in the "top echelon" compensation category if he leaves for Greater Western Sydney.

League football operations manager Adrian Anderson last night confirmed the Dogs could also land two first-round draft picks in return if Ward's contract offer was found to be in the same range as Scully's.

Anderson said Scully's status as a No.1 draft pick was "secondary" in the compensation formula, with a far stronger weighting placed on a player's age and the size of his contract offer from GWS.

Asked if Ward could be worth two first-round picks, Anderson said: "I expect he would, if he was getting paid the same".

But Anderson said he would not speculate further because he had no information that any offer to Ward would be in the Scully ballpark.

"He may be on less money and he is slightly older. It's possible but it depends on what the offer is," Anderson said.

GWS has made an official offer to Scully in the range of $1 million a season over five years. Given Scully is only 20, and the offer puts him in the elite pay bracket, the league has indicated Scully is in the same compensation category as Gary Ablett, who left Geelong for the Gold Coast last year.

Ward is only a year older than Scully and there has been speculation in recent weeks that GWS is prepared to offer him $700,000 to $1 million a season.

The league's salary cap watchdog Ken Wood views each offer before compensation is officially announced and it may be a close call if Ward will earn almost as much as Scully to join the new club.

It is now clear the fact that Scully was a No.1 draft pick and Ward, at No.19, would not play a major role in any compensation decision.

"Pick 20 might end up being the best player in the comp and the most valuable," Anderson said, explaining why draft position was not the main deciding factor.

"There is a panel - Kevin Sheehan and Andrew McKay - and they look at other factors such as performance and where they went in the draft but they are secondary factors.

"The two primary factors are the age of the player and what they are being paid by the new club - the market is the best judgment."

The AFL made a late change to its rules last year to allow Ablett-level special compensation given his superstar status in the game.

Under the rules, any team gaining the maximum compensation of two first-round draft picks would have five years to use them.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226094921348
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ward could be worth two prime picks

I do not want to lose him, however 2 first round picks numbs the pain a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Would be bizarre to think that the Jordan McMahon trade turned into two first round pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why there is still animosity toward Terry Wallace - I'm quite a fan
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be holding out hope for e Band 1 classification. Highly unlikely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    League football operations manager Adrian Anderson last night confirmed the Dogs could also land two first-round draft picks in return if Ward's contract offer was found to be in the same range as Scully's.
    We know it's not, so moot point really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    $750k to $1 million appears to be classified in the same range hence why Anderson said the compenation may be similar to Scully's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    So what exactly has he been offered?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

This tells me that the AFL know that Ward is hovering, perhaps leaning towards staying, because he is feeling guilty about leaving.

I think the AFL have released this to tell Ward that "we'll look after the Dogs for you if you go".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    This tells me that the AFL know that Ward is hovering, perhaps leaning towards staying, because he is feeling guilty about leaving.

I think the AFL have released this to tell Ward that "we'll look after the Dogs for you if you go".
    Interesting take.

If true -- J.Mac's trade is the gift that keeps on giving isn't it. That one single pick of a skinny kid waaay back in 2000 may end up serving the team well into a third decade if all this goes down (and I'm including Jordy's useful years with us). A truly amazing and completely unpredictable story.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me despise the AFL perpetrators even more with such theorising, calculating prats. One thing is for sure they wont be helping us out from the goodness of their hearts.

Post Thanks / Like

Two first rounders, in all honestly, thats damn tempting

Post Thanks / Like

For once I hope your theory is proven correct.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a first and second rounder if you ask me. Rather than worry about what's best for the Dogs and will we be compensated I'm sure that Callan and his family are more concerned with his long term future. I also think it seems that it is very important to Callan and his family that he makes a decision based on good ethics (not necessarily loyalty to the Dogs although that would come into it).

I am getting the feeling that Callan's parents see then AFL as a bit of a vampirous leech.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure first and second rounder is possible. Unless it's changed since last year, it can only be one of 5 bands.

Band one: club is compensated with a first-round pick, plus a mid-first-round pick.

Band two: club receives a first-round pick.

Band three: club receives an end-of-first-round pick.

Band four: club receives a second-round pick.

Band five: club receives a third-round pick.