Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another betting scandal

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Sad to say this whole world has gone soft on everything, bring back the 70s

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Andrew, you normally apply logic to your arguments, not too sure this time.
    Put it this way Shermo deeply hurt someones feelings, who did Maxwell and Shaw hurt?

The integrity of the game.

Ridiculous to bracket Maxwell and Sherman issues IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks BD, dont know how old you are but what do you think?
    We have gone to the extreme in a lot of things.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

What is ridiculous is that a player can now not say to his family or friends that he is starting in the forward pocket or on the wing or wherever because of betting. FFS, what needs to be changed here is the betting, ie no betting on anything that is going to happen during the game. Its a game of football yet we have to cow tow to betting agencies now. Fair enough players can't bet on the game, but this is getting really stupid now. The only reason Maxwell copped the fine was to make an example of him. In my opinion Maxwell did nothing wrong.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What is ridiculous is that a player can now not say to his family or friends that he is starting in the forward pocket or on the wing or wherever because of betting. FFS, what needs to be changed here is the betting, ie no betting on anything that is going to happen during the game. Its a game of football yet we have to cow tow to betting agencies now. Fair enough players can't bet on the game, but this is getting really stupid now. The only reason Maxwell copped the fine was to make an example of him. In my opinion Maxwell did nothing wrong.
    Completely agree, blame the players for what the AFL encourages??
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Making it illegal is just plain stupid. It just needs to be regulated with a modicum of common sense.

I like having the odd bet on the game. I'd be filthy if I couldn't, just because some other nuffty wants to lay the mortgage on the first goal. For me, it's not a problem at all because I don't go spending hundreds of dollars on it, and it's just for a bit of fun. In short, I'm not a total moron.

I should say, I do think the advertising is excessive, it just needs to be scaled back a lot, not done away with altogether.
    no one puts more than $10 on that stuff. Even with insider info they got $85 put on it from 3 separate accounts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Like Sherman, he knew it was wrong and still did it. My point was that who is to say that Maxwell didn't do more? Everyone was quick to jump on Sherman, who made an error, but people seem to automatically say "Oh, Maxie's a good bloke, he just made a blue".
    He didn't make an error — he vilified an entire race of people mate.

I've been quite distressed at how many people on WOOF have stood up for what Sherman did, maybe not by saying it was right but by not totally condemning it either. I believe in free speech as much as the next poster — I'd disagree but fight for your right to the opinion anyway — but it saddens me that this issue is not as clearcut as it should be in the minds of some people. Anyway, it's off topic, so I'll just say: Totally different circumstances in every sense of the word different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    He didn't make an error — he vilified an entire race of people mate.

I've been quite distressed at how many people on WOOF have stood up for what Sherman did, maybe not by saying it was right but by not totally condemning it either. I believe in free speech as much as the next poster — I'd disagree but fight for your right to the opinion anyway — but it saddens me that this issue is not as clearcut as it should be in the minds of some people. Anyway, it's off topic, so I'll just say: Totally different circumstances in every sense of the word different.
    If thats not an error what is??
    Bring back the biff