Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another betting scandal

What a dip****! Does he not care about my SC backline?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Having thought about it further, would it not make sense to rub him out for 7 weeks and suspend the other 7 matches. That way he could then play heads or tails with the AFL double or nothing!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Agree. But it has never been endorsed and promoted like it is now. When I was growing up and falling in love with the game, I didn't think about match odds or punting on who would kick the first goal. That type of thinking was foreign to the game. If you wanted a punt you went to the horse racing.

Now you have young children (younger than 10) who are talking about the odds. It is wrong.
    It's just a matter of scale. I understand and I don't bet myself but it's the 21st century. You talk about betting you talk about everything else that's wrong with the world. Blame the internet and globalisation.

But I agree doesn't make it right.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Heath was on his last chance?
    After the driving debacle with Didak a few years back!
    Silly Boy, betting is in saturation mode right now and it's got a stench about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Players who bet on games in which they are playing should be suspended for life, as there is always the chance that a game or event (such as first goalkicker) could have been compromised or fixed.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Players who bet on games in which they are playing should be suspended for life, as there is always the chance that a game or event (such as first goalkicker) could have been compromised or fixed.
    This I agree with. How different is it to bowling a deliberate no ball, or giving pitch information? On the spectrum it is probably not as bad as bowling the no ball, but definitely worse than the pitch information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Groenewagon View Post
    Rome burns while Nero fiddles.

It's every man for himself down at the Westpac Centre.
    Mick's running his own agenda, Eddie's lost control of the messaging to the media.
    It's a glimmer of hope for the rest of the competition.
    Maybe no one can beat them other than themselves
    Patrick Smith would call it hubris.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The AFL is taking the game down the wrong path. Gambling is just another way they're doing it.
    But think about all those dollars filling the AFL coffers? Surely that overrides all other considerations, like the integrity of the game

Some goal umpires and time keepers got 12 month bans for very similar offences, none of which were suspended. This 'penalty' is a wet lettuce leaf.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Uncle's comment: "on the positive side, plenty of time to freshen up for finals."

Mmmm. Not sure the message will ever get through to those folk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Some goal umpires and time keepers got 12 month bans for very similar offences, none of which were suspended. This 'penalty' is a wet lettuce leaf.
    Agree with this, I can't believe Maxwell only got a fine (the amount of which would be a drop in the ocean for most of these blokes). Talk about double standards.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Just an observation. I don't know if I'm thinking too much here?
    I noticed a few weeks back when Sherman held his press conference that the dogs 'back drop' was the normal sponsor ridden back drop for any interview or press conference and Sherman had on the normal team polo with mission etc on it. I thought to myself that isn't a good advertisment for the sponsors of our club. However today during the Magpie press conference where their 'bad' news was delivered, there were no sponsor boards or team uniforms with the sponsors on them anywhere to be seen.
    I just think that was smart on their part.

Also, if anyone can help me understand Maxwells involvement in this?
    If he was innocent then why was he fined? and if he was involved why such a light penalty?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Also, if anyone can help me understand Maxwells involvement in this?
    If he was innocent then why was he fined? and if he was involved why such a light penalty?
    Apparently the AFL Integrity 'Laws' (don't know if that's what they're called), forbids players from disclosing information that can be used for betting. Maxwell, when making the comments, didn't add a "Don't use this for betting" disclaimer. I think that's it, he knew the rules and that he shouldn't have made the remarks.

As for the wet lettuce penalty, I have no idea. IMO he should've lost the captaincy.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    The stupidity of footballers continues to amaze me.

However, the AFL has to take some responsibilty in all this. The promotion of gambling in AFL is disgraceful at the moment. It is all over thier own website, commentators mention it every 2nd sentence, the live worm and ground announcer with the Betfair odds at Etihad, teams are sponsored by betting houses. It has to stop. This gambling on football is taking our beloved game down the wrong path.
    Alot of people are not happy about it. At the Demons Bulldogs game, a lot of supporters of all colours were having a gripe together in agreement about it whenever the odds came up on screen.

Australians lose more in gambling monies per capita than any other nation. Ireland second!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Yet they don't advertise cigarettes as it is unhealthy, hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Alot of people are not happy about it. At the Demons Bulldogs game, a lot of supporters of all colours were having a gripe together in agreement about it whenever the odds came up on screen.

Australians lose more in gambling monies per capita than any other nation. Ireland second!

Its not enough for the odd or the worm to come up on the big screen at every opportunity, but printed next to the team lists in the Herald-Scum the odds are included alongside the broadcast information...

There are a huge amount of betting ads on television, and even during programs like Sports Tonight, the Snake Oil salesmen from betfair and the likes even appear as part of the program...

On another note, I'm sure these betting companies rubbed their hands together gleefully when Ricky "Punter" Ponting came on the scene, a cricketer who openly glorified the habit of loosing money to them.