Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Adam Cooney lashed out at Brian Lake's knockers

Mark Stevens

WESTERN Bulldogs star Adam Cooney has launched a spirited defence of teammate Brian Lake, slamming "fickle" critics of the struggling full-back.

Cooney said Lake had shown loyalty, putting the club ahead of himself, by playing last year's finals series with injuries.

After a string of post-season operations, he has struggled to reach the fitness level required to play AFL, but the Brownlow medallist has dismissed talk his close friend is lazy.

"A lot of people have been canning him this year, which I think is pretty unfair," Cooney said.

"Kicking a bloke when he's down is not great, but it's a pretty fickle industry, footy."

He said any supporters who had turned on Lake had short memories.

"He hurt his shoulder in one of the finals last year, then his knee and his hip," Cooney said.

"Come finals time, you do anything you can to get out there. To play through that, doing the team thing, is great by him.

"Hopefully the fans who have turned remember he was doing it pretty tough during the finals series last year."

Lake will miss another game at VFL level this weekend with a calf strain, but the Dogs remain hopeful he can return for Williamstown and make a late bid to make an impact at AFL level.

"I think everyone, including him, is thinking, 'What happened? Where have I gone wrong?'," Cooney said.

"He's done it pretty tough, but everyone at the club is supporting him."

Cooney can empathise with Lake, given he has endured his battle with knee soreness, attracting criticism for not working hard enough.

"It's the same thing as me, I suppose, people branding him lazy and saying he's got the wrong attitude - which is not right," he said.

"The thing that was letting him down was his body. Once your body is letting you down, it is hard to do the things you know you can do.

"It is similar to me. I can understand his frustration. He wants to do the things he was doing last year, but at the moment his body is not allowing him to do that.

"Obviously, he's pretty frustrated and he gets down on himself a bit."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Cooney lashed out at Brian Lake's knockers

There has been a fair bit of talk amongst internet Bulldog members about the pro's and con's of trading away Brian Lake at the end of the season. Brian and Adam are very good mates and their wives are best friends so I'm guessing it wouldn't sit well with Cooney if Lake was traded.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Fire them up Coons good onya mate.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There has been a fair bit of talk amongst internet Bulldog members about the pro's and con's of trading away Brian Lake at the end of the season. Brian and Adam are very good mates and their wives are best friends so I'm guessing it wouldn't sit well with Cooney if Lake was traded.
    Weren't Grant and Everitt best mates too?

I am sure that would never come into it when it comes to list management.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Weren't Grant and Everitt best mates too?

I am sure that would never come into it when it comes to list management.
    You don't think that Cooney would have no end of other clubs interested in him when he is coming out of contract?
    I think he is that close to Lake that if he thought Brian was harshly dealt and there was little to no loyalty displayed at the club it could very well come into consideration for him at his next contract.

Post Thanks / Like

The Grant and Wira issue was another.
    I remember a story years ago of Richmond players falling apart after Richmond traded a well respected player, according to the players it was like the soul of the club was ripped out.
    It can be a very delicate issue.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

You don't think that Cooney would have no end of other clubs interested in him when he is coming out of contract?
    I think he is that close to Lake that if he thought Brian was harshly dealt and there was little to no loyalty displayed at the club it could very well come into consideration for him at his next contract.
    I doubt he would want to leave the club even if Brian is traded, not that I want him traded.

Weren't Wira and Grant equally as good of friends?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    The Grant and Wira issue was another.
    I remember a story years ago of Richmond players falling apart after Richmond traded a well respected player, according to the players it was like the soul of the club was ripped out.It can be a very delicate issue.
    Like when Powell and Monty were traded?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt he would want to leave the club even if Brian is traded, not that I want him traded.
    I think you are underestimating things.

Weren't Wira and Grant equally as good of friends?
    Don't get the link

Post Thanks / Like

Wira was traded, Grant was upset with Wallace about it and the ball started rolling..
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Like when Powell and Monty were traded?
    I think it was Neil Roberts.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get the link
    Cooney and Lake are best friends, Grant and Wira were best friends at the time of Wira getting traded.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are underestimating things.
    I guess I just think Cooney is mature enough to understand the big picture if it came to that. If think you are over estimating the friends element, friends get split up every year in footy clubs.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I just think Cooney is mature enough to understand the big picture if it came to that. If think you are over estimating the friends element, friends get split up every year in footy clubs.
    I dont know Chef there are examples of both sides in the discussion, I dont think this one is one we have to worry about though, all the hoopla about Lake being traded etc was all media beat up and some fans jumped on it, dont think it was ever in the clubs thoughts.
    We do have both for another 2 years on contract so I will wait until then.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I dont know Chef there are examples of both sides in the discussion, I dont think this one is one we have to worry about though, all the hoopla about Lake being traded etc was all media beat up and some fans jumped on it, dont think it was ever in the clubs thoughts.
    We do have both for another 2 years on contract so I will wait until then.
    I agree with this, Brian is going nowhere. I am sure is well liked by all involved with the club and will return to his previous form, if not this season definitely next season.
    The curse is dead.