Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

On the couch - Matthew Boyd

For those of you who have Foxtel - tonight at 8.30pm (Melb time) on 'On The Couch', Matthew Boyd will be the special guest.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: On the couch - Matthew Boyd

Hopefully they ask some decent questions

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BB, will tune in.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry people but not much to report

Post Thanks / Like

Some key points for those that missed:
    Asked about accountability..how do they know who is on who. Said it is difficult because defense switches so quickly to offense. Not necessarily defined match ups, they may have to make decisions on the spot on who to pick up.
    The improvement over past few weeks has been in a focus on keeping ball in fwd line.
    Conceding so many inside 50s ( 8 more than any other in this round) was unacceptable, indicated they didn't work hard enough.
    During the awful slump everyone stuck tight - no finger pointing, back stabbing..this made it easier for him as new captain.
    Ward..don't know if I read too much into his reply to questions on his future. Said he was highly valued, respected, local boy, would all love him to stay BUT when asked whether they have asked him outright has he signed and what they would be saying to persuade him, seemed a bit non committal..private matter for Callan and his management team. I felt I'd have liked a more passionate heartfelt response, made me wonder if they all sense Ward is gone.

I hope this is reasonably accurate. To be honest I felt it was a bit of a tense, colorless performance from Matt but I guess the timing, after a poor loss, may not have made him too relaxed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    Ward..don't know if I read too much into his reply to questions on his future. Said he was highly valued, respected, local boy, would all love him to stay BUT when asked whether they have asked him outright has he signed and what they would be saying to persuade him, seemed a bit non committal..private matter for Callan and his management team. I felt I'd have liked a more passionate heartfelt response, made me wonder if they all sense Ward is gone.

I hope this is reasonably accurate. To be honest I felt it was a bit of a tense, colorless performance from Matt but I guess the timing, after a poor loss, may not have made him too relaxed.
    Haven't seen it yet, hopefully there'll be a repeat this afternoon. I don't think Boydy is comfortable with his media duties, an area that Gia would perform much better if he was captain. I know which one will be more likely to go for a media role post footy.

I also hear they got stuck into him for doing something to Boomer's hand, and that he passed it off as a joke, which it would have been. Clutching at straws by the Couch.

Post Thanks / Like

Asked about accountability..how do they know who is on who. Said it is difficult because defense switches so quickly to offense. Not necessarily defined match ups, they may have to make decisions on the spot on who to pick up.
    The improvement over past few weeks has been in a focus on keeping ball in fwd line.
    Conceding so many inside 50s ( 8 more than any other in this round) was unacceptable, indicated they didn't work hard enough.
    During the awful slump everyone stuck tight - no finger pointing, back stabbing..this made it easier for him as new captain.

Yep, accurate report. As far as Boyd's performance, I think that's just him, by his own admission he's all business!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

He means how offense switches to quickly to defence, considering how we are turnover city under any kind of pressure.

Just not good enough to be 'making decisions on the spot' -- players who can read games broadly generally pick up patterns within games so they are thinking ahead of these 'decision on the spot' type players, which is why they always look a step ahead of everyone. We need more players with this skillset who is then able to direct play out there. Wallis looks like someone who will blossom into this role, and the quicker the better.

Good to hear, since he is generally finger-pointer-in-chief.

As captain, he just needs to take some responsibility for the overall momentum of the game ie. communicating in real-time re: structures, balance between offense/defence if we are starting to commit turnovers etc. However, I don't think he is capable of this as he is a very 'me' focused player (not a bad thing per se, as it has gotten him to where he is today), and like I said previously, probably not a great game reader in the macro sense -- so his tendency is to play harder when things are going bad, but not necessarily have the nous to understand the appropriate team (as opposed to individual) response to specific situations within games. You can see this by his natural response to team mistakes being a tendency to blame or ask for more effort rather than make structural adjustments on the fly.

When we keep making the same mistake over a 5/10 minute patch without even looking like making an adjustment, it just speaks of a lack of game-sense from our leaders. Boomer, ever savvy, just sat off waiting for the same mistake and just rinsed and repeated.

Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't seem to divulge a great deal when interviewed. Plays the party line somewhat.

Did anyone ask him about turning the ball over?

Post Thanks / Like

He was asked about Matthew Lloyd comments that he is a one way player..not accountable. He was clearly displeased and said he only listens to feedback within the club and from the coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    He doesn't seem to divulge a great deal when interviewed. Plays the party line somewhat.

Did anyone ask him about turning the ball over?
    No. However Matthew was asked about why he felt he fell through to be ultimately rookie selected. One part of Boydy's answer was "perception on ball use".

Matty, I love much of what you bring but I'm sorry to say that from where I sit it's more than a perception regarding ball use.

I would prefer that Matthew's game evolves to be more like what a Cameron Ling is to Geelong's midfield. With Cal and Adam playing the part of Selwood and say Kelly. You want your better users of the ball inflicting offensive damage. I want to see Matthew sacrifice his game to shutdown the key opposition mid and lead by example with defensive efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    No. However Matthew was asked about why he felt he fell through to be ultimately rookie selected. One part of Boydy's answer was to quote a "perception on ball use".

Matty, I love much of what you bring but I'm sorry to say that from where I sit it's more than a perception regarding ball use.

I would prefer that Matthew's game evolves to be more like what a Cameron Ling is to Geelong's midfield. With Cal and Adam playing the part of Selwood and say Kelly. You want your better users of the ball inflicting offensive damage. I want to see Matthew sacrifice his game to shutdown the key opposition mid and lead by example with defensive efforts.
    I think Cal's disposal needs to be worked on, his kicking is overrated by some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I think Cal's disposal needs to be worked on, his kicking is overrated by some.
    Desi, I dont disagree with you but using my example, Selwood's efficiency has lifted given time and experience. I guess I see Cal. tracking to Selwood.

I see something of a shake up needed with our mids and for me it's with Matty's role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Desi, I dont disagree with you but using my example, Selwood's efficiency has lifted given time and experience. I guess I see Cal. tracking to Selwood.

I see something of a shake up needed with our mids and for me it's with Matty's role.
    Given we have not had much of Cooney this year perhaps that is why he has become more of an attacking midfielder? I do see where you are coming from.

Post Thanks / Like

He was asked about Matthew Lloyd comments that he is a one way player..not accountable. He was clearly displeased and said he only listens to feedback within the club and from the coaches.
    That's Boydy's stock response to this question, and it's just not good enough. A smart player takes in feedback wherever he can find it (after filtering out the crap of course) so he can continuously improve. A teacher's pet only focuses on what the teacher is saying so he can please that source of authority. It's no secret that he's a coach's favourite (and no surprise, considering his workrate and attitude), but Matty needs to lift his horizons beyond simply pleasing Rocket and the coaching staff.