Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Barry Hall still irked by Paul Roos rift

Mark Robinson From: Herald Sun July 20, 2011 12:00am

BARRY Hall has a deep-rooted rift with former coach Paul Roos that emerged yesterday after the full-forward announced his retirement.

Hall yesterday described himself as a Bulldog, despite being co-captain of Sydney's 2005 premiership team under Roos, and pointedly did not mention Roos' name.

Sources yesterday confirmed Hall's disappointment with Roos, although Hall this morning attempted to hose down talk of continuing drama between the pair.

"I've run into Paul a few times at airports and stuff like that and we've spoken fine. There is certainly no rift now and that's off the mark," Hall told Channel 7's Sunrise program.

Roos said yesterday: "I'm not aware of any rift. If that's the case, it's certainly not on my behalf and I can only presume we are still on speaking terms."

The hostility surrounds the events in the days after Hall punched Adelaide's Ben Rutten and Hall's time as a Swan ended just days later in July 2009.

Hall tried to talk to Roos several times in the days between, but Roos did not return the calls, and first spoke about Hall's future to the media.

Hall will detail the disappointment in his book Barry Hall: Pulling No Punches, to be released next month.

In the book, Hall addresses co-captain Brett Kirk's claim that he could no longer be trusted on the field.

Asked yesterday to name the low point of his career, Hall dismissed the suggestion it was the night he knocked out West Coast's Brent Staker in 2008.

"The lowlight for me was resigning from the Swans," Hall said.

"Probably the way it all happened ... it didn't sit right with me.

"There were low periods there but everything happens for a reason, whether it's good or bad, and it's brought me to a good place."

Roos yesterday admitted he should have spoken to Hall after the Rutten incident, which ultimately ended Hall's career in Sydney.

"If I had my time over again, I would've spoken to him," Roos said.

"He rang me, left a message, asked to call back, but I should have spoken to him. I didn't speak to him until probably Tuesday. I think we played Saturday night."

Roos indicated he remained friends with Hall.

"My discussions with him have been more than amicable since he left."

As for Hall being remembered as a Bulldog rather than a Swan, Roos was ambivalent.

"He'll remember himself how he wants to," Roos said. "Clearly, the 2005 premiership, he was an unbelievably enormous contributor to that. He was an outstanding player."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barry Hall still irked by Paul Roos rift

Roos public perception is Mr Nice guy, but privately I am told, not as nice as one would think.

Didn't Handle the Hall situation very well and owed more to Hall than the way he dealt with it. Lets say, if you got the sack, you wouldn't want it to be done the way it was at the Swans.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think things weren't handled well at the time which Roos has admitted, but I also think the Herald Sun are doing their usual 'make something out of nothing' thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I don't think things weren't handled well at the time which Roos has admitted, but I also think the Herald Sun are doing their usual 'make something out of nothing' thing.
    They're not.

The problems between Roos and Hall go back well before 2009 and was the reason Hall wanted to come to us after the 2008 season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    They're not.

The problems between Roos and Hall go back well before 2009 and was the reason Hall wanted to come to us after the 2008 season.
    But do they still have those problems now?

"I've run into Paul a few times at airports and stuff like that and we've spoken fine. There is certainly no rift now and that's off the mark," Hall told Channel 7's Sunrise program.

Roos said yesterday: "I'm not aware of any rift. If that's the case, it's certainly not on my behalf and I can only presume we are still on speaking terms."

Just saying, I think the Herald Sun are making much more out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

The media are excelling in finding the negative in what has largely been a positive story (Hall coming to the Dogs and finding redemption).

KB was on this morning talking crap about Hall's 'Dog For Life' comments -- that's his only takeaway from the news conference? What a decrepit sourpuss.

Amazing how the football media can collectively take a good thing and turn it into a mini-crisis.. just makes me realise how little I miss when I don't get any footy coverage when out of the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    But do they still have those problems now?

Just saying, I think the Herald Sun are making much more out of it.
    Would you like to be sacked via sms?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably Hacked his phoneMurdoch press way

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Suz 32 on this one. Mountain out of the molehill. The Herald Sun is merely sensationalising what would otherwise be an entirely standard article: Footballer retires because he's old. Nothing new. Instead of focusing on the redemption aspect of this story (nice read but won't sell many papers) they'd rather hype up a rift between high profile football identities, to which they can then write many follow-ups with everybody's opinion from Paul Roos to Mike Sheahan to Sammy Newman to KB to whoever else isn't relevant to the story anymore but wants the airtime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    KB was on this morning talking crap about Hall's 'Dog For Life' comments -- that's his only takeaway from the news conference? What a decrepit sourpuss.
    Bit rich coming from the guy who won 5 flags at Richmond and then blacklisted his beloved Tigers for 15 years after his coaching contract expired and was not renewed.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the way the HUN had HALL RIFT in huge titles says it all.
    Clearly a slow news day.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly has issues in the handling of his departure,just reckon he's very appreciative of us giving him his chance for redemption.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Would you like to be sacked via sms?
    Did Hall say that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Did Hall say that?
    No he didn't

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No he didn't
    So you dont know if this is correct?