Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The who do we want and what will it take thread

There has been a number of discussions throughout other threads about who we may be interested in trading for. There is a lot to discuss with two potential first rounders on the table as well as some players either wanting to be moved on or being forced to move on in the hope that a fresh start will help them reach their potential. Given this, I thought I would centralise the discussion in this thread so it can be more of a focus.

So, who or what types do we want (need) and what will it take to get the deal across the line?

I'll go first with an obvious one and one that has drummed up a bit of debate.

Dangerfield
    A first rounder and Josh Hill.

I really rate him but is this overs?

It looks like we may also need a key back.

Mitch Brown.
    If he doesn't go to GWS I think we should look at him. He's 195cm, mobile, has a big body, has just turned 23 and is out of contract.

I would look at a three way trade

Lake to Sydney, Trent Dennis Lane (from Subi and wants to go home) and a pick to W.C and Mitch Brown to the Bulldogs.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The who do we want and what will it take thread

I asked in another thread about Kurt Tippett.

On potential alone he should be untradeable but his stocks are pretty low after a horrendous season, so I'm thinking a mid first-rounder MAY get it done. Crows probably won't come to the table though after losing Walker to GWS.

Does Minnow have trade currency? SA boy and all that. First rounder and Minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I asked in another thread about Kurt Tippett.

On potential alone he should be untradeable but his stocks are pretty low after a horrendous season, so I'm thinking a mid first-rounder MAY get it done. Crows probably won't come to the table though after losing Walker to GWS.

Does Minnow have trade currency? SA boy and all that. First rounder and Minnow.
    Tippet is reportedly on $600k after re-signing last year, that alone is overs enough.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

If we don't make the 8 there is no way I would trade out our first pick even if it is a compromised draft. Also adding players like Hill doesn't make the trade more attractive to the opposition.
    There might be good players out there but they are going to cost too much and we got burnt last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    If we don't make the 8 there is no way I would trade out our first pick. Also adding players like Hill doesn't make the trade more attractive to the opposition.
    Yup - despite the groupthink on BF, 2 fringe players do not equal 1 gun - our first rounder will be late this year too due to the GWS concessions
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Tippet is reportedly on $600k after re-signing last year, that alone is overs enough.
    Youch. Also now that there's going to be a new coach they'll probably think they can turn him around.. Craig would have been more likely to try a trade.

What are we paying Lake + Minnow though? Tippett's 24, what would we have been happy to pay Cloke to get him in hindsight? I don't know, dominant KPFs are just gold.

This is all dream-land stuff of course; the Tippetts of this world are pretty hard to pry away from their clubs. His shithouse form this year may just be the window we need though... (and an extra first-round pick plus a ready-made player may be carrot enough for a rebuilding club?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Youch. Also now that there's going to be a new coach they'll probably think they can turn him around.. Craig would have been more likely to try a trade.

What are we paying Lake + Minnow though? Tippett's 24, what would we have been happy to pay Cloke to get him in hindsight? I don't know, dominant KPFs are just gold.

This is all dream-land stuff of course; the Tippetts of this world are pretty hard to pry away from their clubs. His shithouse form this year may just be the window we need though... (and an extra first-round pick plus a ready-made player may be carrot enough for a rebuilding club?)
    As negotiated mid-2009 I thought it was about $400K P.A. and a 3 year deal.

Not sure about Will.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    As negotiated mid-2009 I thought it was about $400K P.A. and a 3 year deal.

Not sure about Will.
    I'm sure Lake's on 4 years. The $ number sounds right.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Brown is an interesting one.

Hasn't played too much this season has he? To be fair, he's struggled a little since he did his knee a few years ago. By memory, we showed interest a couple of years ago but he was still very much a required player.

It'd be interesting to see if WC thought he was expendable. He'd be exactly the type of player we should hunt. A key back who can push forward on occasion.

Dangerfield would be nice, but unrealistic, even if the reports are true re; his ties with Neil Craig.

Post Thanks / Like

This year's first rounder plus Hill for Dangerfield would be a steal for us. Effectively a late first rounder or early second round pick in a normal year - and this is supposedly a shallow draft coming up. Do the deal.

If Ward goes bank the compensation picks to use in the 2012 "super draft."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Mitch Brown is an interesting one.

Hasn't played too much this season has he? To be fair, he's struggled a little since he did his knee a few years ago. By memory, we showed interest a couple of years ago but he was still very much a required player.
    We went hard at him last time he was out of contract and at one stage thought we had him.

West Coast have had a few other defenders come on so he might be considered expendable if he wanted out (and cheap if the specter of GWS is looming).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    We went hard at him last time he was out of contract and at one stage thought we had him.

West Coast have had a few other defenders come on so he might be considered expendable if he wanted out (and cheap if the specter of GWS is looming).
    Okay, so Mitch comes in and plays CHB and we let Lakey go and find happiness where he thinks he can, freeing up $$$ to go after some nice juicy fish (especially if Ward cuts and runs and we have three first round picks to go fishing with?)

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure Mitch Brown signed recently with WCE so if we did trade for him he aint gonna be cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Would rather develop our own players & not trade away for other players, if anything i would rather trade for more picks.

We aren't going to challenge for a premiership anytime soon, so we should look to build for the next tilt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    This year's first rounder plus Hill for Dangerfield would be a steal for us. Effectively a late first rounder or early second round pick in a normal year - and this is supposedly a shallow draft coming up. Do the deal.

If Ward goes bank the compensation picks to use in the 2012 "super draft."
    If we remain in 12th spot (likely) we get pick 14.

I dont care if we trade it or draft it, but we need to target someone who can use the ball under pressure, and if they are quickish, thats a bonus.