Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The who do we want and what will it take thread

I can't see us getting a gun, but I would be happy to do a Minson for Thursfield swap with Richmond.

If we do lose Ward I hope we bank the picks for until at least 2012 and use them wisely. If we are going to be bottom out we need to really bottom out and rebuild properly.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Fairly sure Mitch Brown signed a new contract or contract extension a month or so ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    Would rather develop our own players & not trade away for other players, if anything i would rather trade for more picks.

We aren't going to challenge for a premiership anytime soon, so we should look to build for the next tilt.
    What about for young players that may fill a role? Collingwood never bottomed out, Sydney doesn't seem to either. On paper, we can put a decent team on the park. This season just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I can't see us getting a gun, but I would be happy to do a Minson for Thursfield swap with Richmond.

If we do lose Ward I hope we bank the picks for until at least 2012 and use them wisely. If we are going to be bottom out we need to really bottom out and rebuild properly.
    No thanks, what about Minson for Bate? He looked okay in patches on Sunday.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    What about for young players that may fill a role? Collingwood never bottomed out, Sydney doesn't seem to either. On paper, we can put a decent team on the park. This season just doesn't make sense.
    We overrate & have overrated some players for a long time now, we are going to have a lot of players now come to the end of their careers. We don't have the squad depth to compete for a premiership & i feel won't for a while, Dangerfield could possibly be an exception, given his age.

But, for me we need to do another rebuild & try to draft for a premiership. Our squad from say past our top 20, isn't good enough to compete with the big boys & trading in other players who could be 24+ years of age isn't the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

No thanks, what about Minson for Bate? He looked okay in patches on Sunday.
    No thanks, he would just get in the way of developing Grant, Jones, Cordy, Roughead etc. We need to be looking at back man not forwards.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Well , if we are looking for defenders that are looking for a contract renewal at the end of 2011 we should look at Shannon Hurn, would be a great addition to the backline , I,m sure that at only 23 and with a lot of quality football in front of him his pay rise at West Coast will be decent

As far as a young bigger body in the forward line it would be hard to go past Bryce Retzlaff with Brisbane , apparently he is up for a contract renewal , 195cm 86kg , another good pre-season to put on a few kilos , after Barry pulls the pin ask him to mentor Bryce , Jones and the other forwards during the pre-season then Barry can pull up a deck chair somewhere tropical

Post Thanks / Like

Do we need any more tall players on the list as a priority?

In all probability Cooney is done, and Ward will be playing for GWS next year. Boyd and Cross arent gettng any younger, and Williamstown isnt exactly overflowing with midfielders ready to step up next year (thank goodness for Libba and Wallis).

Id say we need midfielders who can use the pill. Thankfully its usually a midfielder who satisfies the 'best available' motto, so in this case I think 'needs' and 'best available' match up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    No thanks, he would just get in the way of developing Grant, Jones, Cordy, Roughead etc. We need to be looking at back man not forwards.
    Fair enough. What about as a high lead up (on the wings) option like Murphyy was before he went back?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is everyone wanting to get rid of Minson? surely with Roughy and Ayce not being ready yet and Hudson more than likely retiring at the end of the year he is going to be far more valuable to us than what we could get for him. Play him as first ruck and let Ayce and Roughy develop and then IF they go past Minson look at trading him then. Minson is a fair way in front of both of them as a first ruck now and there is no guarantee that they will ever pass him. Unless we bring in a mature ruckman i think it would be madness to trade him now.
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Why is everyone wanting to get rid of Minson? surely with Roughy and Ayce not being ready yet and Hudson more than likely retiring at the end of the year he is going to be far more valuable to us than what we could get for him. Play him as first ruck and let Ayce and Roughy develop and then IF they go past Minson look at trading him then. Minson is a fair way in front of both of them as a first ruck now and there is no guarantee that they will ever pass him. Unless we bring in a mature ruckman i think it would be madness to trade him now.
    Roughy will hopefully be able to play first ruck next season. We cant baby him next year, he would have been in the system long enough. Minson is not good enough to be a week in week out ruckman. At 26yo, he is just not as good as he should be and wont be getting any better.
    You would get similar input from a 2nd ruckman who could play kpp, Trengrove springs to mind.

Daniel Talia is a young backman if we want insurance down there, not sure on his contract status

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Roughy will hopefully be able to play first ruck next season. We cant baby him next year, he would have been in the system long enough. Minson is not good enough to be a week in week out ruckman. At 26yo, he is just not as good as he should be and wont be getting any better.
    You would get similar input from a 2nd ruckman who could play kpp, Trengrove springs to mind.

Daniel Talia is a young backman if we want insurance down there, not sure on his contract status
    As promising as Roughead is I don't think this is realistic.

This year he's struggled at VFL level, rarely making the bests and his body still doesn't seem to be 100%. I also don't think we can rely on having Cordy as our first backup.

I think similarily to Drunken Bum, in that we can't afford to lose Minson and Hudson unless we get another AFL ready ruckman in to offer an alternative and some protection for Roughead and Cordy.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by West-Dog View Post
    Well , if we are looking for defenders that are looking for a contract renewal at the end of 2011 we should look at Shannon Hurn, would be a great addition to the backline , I,m sure that at only 23 and with a lot of quality football in front of him his pay rise at West Coast will be decent.
    We can all name good player we like at other clubs. However if they are already well respected/getting a game at their club what chance do we have of getting them given we are struggling with the cap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    We were looking at trading him last year but i guess we were more optimistic about Roughhead than we are now.

Post Thanks / Like

We were looking at trading him last year but i guess we were more optimistic about Roughhead than we are now.
    I thought it was insanity to trade him last year as well, imagine if Hudson went down at the start of the year with a knee. Roughy and Ayce simply aren't ready to be the number one ruckmen.

Even if we plan to use a Roughy/Ayce combination next year(which i don't think would be wise) it would be madness to not have a backup ruckman.

Minsons reputation has been hurt due to Hudson not being able to play anywhere else and being played out of position, he deserves a chance to show what he can do when played in his proper position before throwing a couple of unproven unready rucks in because they are potentially going to be better in 3-4yrs time
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

At Minson's age, Hudson was starting his AFL career - he's just hitting his prime and will be needed next year.
    Minson is (only) a no 1 ruckman, whilst Cordy & Roughy can play the no 2 role. I'd be more confident of Minson playing 22 games next year than either of Roughead or Cordy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers