Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The who do we want and what will it take thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I have heard that this draft is extremely shallow so unless we get our hands on some top 30 picks I can't see us getting much value from our late picks.
    I hear that very often as well in previous seasons. You may be right but I bet there are still gems that go 30+.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Does he have the foot skills, agility and creativity do play this role
    He has a long raking left foot. As for his field passing and hitting up targets I'm really not sure. I feel that he has been played too deep at Melbourne for a long time. I'm not sure how tall he is (about 189-190cm?) and he has a hard body as well as a bit of zip for a heavy type, so I think he has the potential to win contests. One of his problems is his second and third efforts.

As for agility well I think there is upside there considering the opposition would need to play a tallish, strong-bodied, fairly quick type on him. The problem is the opposition could play a rebounding defender on him to exploit his second efforts. I'm not sure what his tank is like but he has been in the system long enough you would think.

Creative? No not really, he swings around and hammers it as close to goal as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Has Lake really slipped that far? Our own thinking on Tippett seems to contradict suggestions that we trade Lake after one bad year
    No I still think he will recover both physically and mentally but do we want Lake for another two years before his body really rebels or do we want a Brown-type who has 7-8 years of AFL football in front of him. The question is where are we at as a challenger for a top 4 position over the next 2 years?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I'm the one who has pushed the Tippett wheelbarrow so I'll try to answer this one -- one is a injured 30-something year old that hasn't played all year, another is an out-of-form/developing 24-year old KPF prospect (that is probably untradeable, and would be other than the fact that he has played so badly this year that both player and team may look for a chance for a fresh start at the right price).

My statement makes it sound like my opinion is cut and dry, but of course it isn't, just pointing out the distinction. I reserve the right to be completely inconsistent from player to player!
    Brian turns 30 next year. And you forgot to mention 2 time All Australian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Ok we are gonna get Hurn and/or Dangerfield for a round 1 and hill, meanwhile magically freeing up the salary cap and completely forget we were dudded in trades last year. There is speculation then there is stuff thats a million to 1.
    If Ward goes those odds of yours come down significantly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I have heard that this draft is extremely shallow so unless we get our hands on some top 30 picks I can't see us getting much value from our late picks.
    I have heard the same thing and this is the reason why we should trade in players from other clubs. If Ward and/or Lake decide to leave, I think we would have no choice unless we want to bottom right out.

Post Thanks / Like

Get rid of Hill, Addison, Minson, Stack etc

Use ALL our picks on kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    If Ward goes those odds of yours come down significantly
    Half a million to 1

Post Thanks / Like

Swans are a club we have traditionally been able to do deals with. Any of their players we might look at?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Swans are a club we have traditionally been able to do deals with. Any of their players we might look at?
    Sam Reid
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing we have done this season is putting Brian on ice for the rest of the season

Better that opposition clubs remember his All-Australian form rather than his games this season

He is close to 30, pulls tricks that no one else on the list would try (eg going away on holidays when he should be having surgery) and is paid a huge sum (I also wasnt impressed with how he handled his salary negotiations with the club)

Lets trade him while he still has some currency, and bring in Dangerfield and a first round draft pick

Old_Mould Guest

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/ne...2/default.aspx

The West Coast Eagles has continued its drive to secure important players for the club’s future with key position player Mitch Brown and tenacious midfielder Matt Priddis today re-committing to the club.

Both have agreed to extend their existing contracts by two years, binding them to the club until at least the end of the 2013 season.
    Here's an article from July this year about Mitch Brown re-signing with West Coast.

The expectation would be that he'll have a key defence post when Glass retires. Until then there will be rotation with Glass, MacKenzie, Schofield and Brown.

The only reason Brown is out of the side now is that he's coming back from an injured thumb.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/ne...5/default.aspx

Star West Coast Eagles defender Shannon Hurn is the first key signing of 2011 after agreeing to a new deal with the club on the eve of the season.

Hurn, 23, is an important player in the club’s future and has signed a three-year extension of his existing contract, aligning him to the club until the end of the 2014 season.
    And Hurn. No way he'll get traded to Victoria either, since he's a South Aussie.

Post Thanks / Like

I was aboard the Dangerfield bandwagon, but someone pointed out that Dangerfield himself would be crazy to force himself out of Adelaide with 1 year to go on his contract when he will be uncontracted the following year with GWS still able to pounce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I was aboard the Dangerfield bandwagon, but someone pointed out that Dangerfield himself would be crazy to force himself out of Adelaide with 1 year to go on his contract when he will be uncontracted the following year with GWS still able to pounce.
    I guess it really depends on what he wants. No good staying on for an additional year if you're unhappy.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    As negotiated mid-2009 I thought it was about $400K P.A. and a 3 year deal.

Not sure about Will.
    ps. according to the Hun today we're paying Lake $550+.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Why is everyone wanting to get rid of Minson? surely with Roughy and Ayce not being ready yet and Hudson more than likely retiring at the end of the year he is going to be far more valuable to us than what we could get for him. Play him as first ruck and let Ayce and Roughy develop and then IF they go past Minson look at trading him then. Minson is a fair way in front of both of them as a first ruck now and there is no guarantee that they will ever pass him. Unless we bring in a mature ruckman i think it would be madness to trade him now.
    Missed this when it was first posted.. I think I'm the only one who has explicitly mentioned trading Minson, so I'll try to answer this one quickly. I proposed the Minson trade ONLY in relation to the possibility of landing Tippett, who will be essentially a direct swap with Will (with all due respect) in terms of role, as Tippett can also ruck.

You make good points though, and I do think the Roughhead/Tippett combination will be pretty light on in the ruck, although probably giving us a lot more quality and flexibility around the ground than a Minson/Roughhead combo. (I'm leaving out the fact that Jones and Barlow can take stints in the ruck).