Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The who do we want and what will it take thread

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I have heard the same thing and this is the reason why we should trade in players from other clubs. If Ward and/or Lake decide to leave, I think we would have no choice unless we want to bottom right out.
    This.

I personally think another opportunity will open up to us in 2-3 years. We should trade in to the club to fill in roles for the next tilt. I think it will come quicker than most are suggesting without the need for a total rebuild like some are suggesting.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    ps. according to the Hun today we're paying Lake $550+.
    That's considerably more than I thought. My understanding was that Cooney was the highest paid player on our list at about 550K.

As another poster pointed out Lake's was a 4 year deal and I actually thought it was 1.8 miliion over 4 years. That would have Lake on 450K guaranteed over 4 years leaving him half way through his contract with AT LEAST $900K owing on it.

My understanding is complete and utter speculation though.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    The best thing we have done this season is putting Brian on ice for the rest of the season

Better that opposition clubs remember his All-Australian form rather than his games this season

He is close to 30, pulls tricks that no one else on the list would try (eg going away on holidays when he should be having surgery) and is paid a huge sum (I also wasnt impressed with how he handled his salary negotiations with the club)

Lets trade him while he still has some currency, and bring in Dangerfield and a first round draft pick
    I wish the club would come out and make it clear what did and what did not happen wiith Brian, to stop all this rumor an inneundo. I read or heard at a club function, can not recall which, that Brian had one of his surgeries before he went on holiday and was told he could not have the next surgery for a while and the best thing was to go away and have a break before t next surgery !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I guess it really depends on what he wants. No good staying on for an additional year if you're unhappy.
    I read he does miss home

Post Thanks / Like

It would be good to see a list of all teams players coming out of contract end of year.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Again I'm all for the speculation and making the team stronger but I haven't seen a plausible trade yet that likely to happen in 4 pages.

Dangerfield might want to come back but doubt they want Minson since they traded for a ruck last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Again I'm all for the speculation and making the team stronger but I haven't seen a plausible trade yet that likely to happen in 4 pages.

Dangerfield might want to come back but doubt they want Minson since they traded for a ruck last season.
    You dont think Adelaide would take our first rounder from the Ward trade for Dangerfield?
    If he wants out and wants to come back home to Victoria, they are better off getting a first rounder for him then "diddly swat" next year when he is out of contract.

Post Thanks / Like

If Dangerfield wants to come back - no one knows really yet.
    What's makes you think we will be the only bidder in Melbourne or his choice of club?
    What make you think Ward is gone and we'll get a first rounder in comp? We might want to save it.
    Certain that Dangerfield will settle for what we are offering Ward? Or we won't be outbidded?
    Still a long shot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    You dont think Adelaide would take our first rounder from the Ward trade for Dangerfield?
    If he wants out and wants to come back home to Victoria, they are better off getting a first rounder for him then "diddly swat" next year when he is out of contract.
    Do you think the Demons would go after him with one of their first rounders for Scully? They seem to like the hard nuts (e.g. Maloney, Jones and that other young hard nut whos name escapes me).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I guess it really depends on what he wants. No good staying on for an additional year if you're unhappy.
    I can think of hundreds of thousands of good reasons.

he can make waves now with 12 months to go on his contract and demand to be traded

or he can wait 12 months and be well within his rights as an uncontracted player to field offers from GWS and anyone else. Having GWS in the hunt for your services can only drive is salary up, regardless of where he ends up.

I would be hugely surprised if Dangerfield left Adelaide at the end of this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Shallow draft or not, we should just go for the kids and forget trading for established players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No I still think he will recover both physically and mentally but do we want Lake for another two years before his body really rebels or do we want a Brown-type who has 7-8 years of AFL football in front of him. The question is where are we at as a challenger for a top 4 position over the next 2 years?

Fair point.

Not really a question of whether Lake can contribute for a year or 2 (which I think he can).

More a question of maximising his trade value NOW with a view to the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Do you think the Demons would go after him with one of their first rounders for Scully? They seem to like the hard nuts (e.g. Maloney, Jones and that other young hard nut whos name escapes me).
    It depends on their needs. They have by all reports a future gun onballer in Todd Vineys son who has chosen to go there under the father son rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Shallow draft or not, we should just go for the kids and forget trading for established players.
    So you are happy to bottom out given the amount of experience we are going to lose at seasons end?

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Hill & Will Minson straight swap for Dangerfield? Wishful thinking