Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sherman, DJ and Veszpremi....wasted trades?

I know its only just past mid year, but have we made a judgment error in bringing these guys to the club at the waste of using those picks for kids like Dalhaus?

Sherman certainly isnt a 4 qtr player and has now other issues to worry about. DJ has really done not much at all in his games for the club and realistically its doubtful whether he will become the "crumber" we have been wanting in our team. With all our injuries and indifferent form, we are yet to see Vezspremi in our colours.

To me this feels like a "selley's" moment (fill gap), where we have traded for players with not alot of long term futire at our club...almost similar to those Rhode trades with Koops, Street and Morgon.

Thoughts?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sherman, DJ and Veszpremi....wasted trades?

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    To me this feels like a "selley's" moment (fill gap), where we have traded for players with not alot of long term futire at our club...almost similar to those Rhode trades with Koops, Street and Morgon.
    Slight difference is that in the Rohde trades we gave up:

Pick #19 - Koops (Freo picked up Mundy)
    Pick #20 - Street
    Pick #34 - Morgan

Fail, Fail, Fail.

Post Thanks / Like

The warning bells must have sounded when neither Djkuerra or Vezspremi couldn't get a look in at all at their previous clubs.Sherman's a good player in a team traveling well, Veszpremi doesn't seem fit enough or work hard enough and DJ just doesn't seem to have any polish.

Emphasizes to me that using the draft is paramount to recycling fringe players!
    (Sherman the exception). Mind you Everitt isn't setting the world on fire

Post Thanks / Like

1. Been relatively happy with Sherman.
    2. Jury is out on DJ but not looking promising.
    3. Veszpremi has the talent but is he what we need now? We have looked so much better
    adding pace to our forwardline, something he doesn't possess a lot of. Having said that,
    I would like to see him get a chance as I suspect he would be a much better player in
    senior company than in the VFL. Jury still out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Slight difference is that in the Rohde trades we gave up:

Pick #19 - Koops (Freo picked up Mundy)
    Pick #20 - Street
    Pick #34 - Morgan

Fail, Fail, Fail.
    Agreed, although the 3 years of wages we will be pumping into DJ have a decidedly stale whiff about them already.

All hindsight now but I would have preferred we picked up Walker instead of Sherman with the Harbrow compensation pick (unlikely but Carlton might have taken this late in the week), and Nicoski instead of DJ. Happy with the punt on Vesz as part of the Everitt trade (which also got us the Skinner pick thrown in as a freebie).

I would also have liked to bank picks 37 and 66 for Josh Hill

Post Thanks / Like

I think Sherman is ok and still has plenty of years ahead. I actually thought he was just starting to really provide value prior to the vilification incident.

He does make a few poor decisions but got involved in plenty of scoring chances in the Adelaide and Gold Coast games.

Djerrkura is at best a fringe player and I would say we overpaid for him.

Veszpremi as a swap for Everitt is possibly a nil all draw. I have avoided comment on Ves because I did express strong views against him when the trade was first mooted and I am still hoping to be proved wrong.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Just pretend we traded Everitt for Ves and Barlow, it might actually make you feel a bit better.
    DJ however, i not to sure about

Post Thanks / Like

A few said that DJ had a blinder at Willi last weekend.

I think all 3 are the type who'll struggle in a team not doing well. Will be interesting in the remainder of the yr if we continue to play better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    1. Been relatively happy with Sherman.
    Aside from the racism...

To be honest, Djerkurra and Vez were what we thought they were. I'm still not unhappy with the Vez/Everitt trade. We were getting nothing out of Drejs and it was a fair swap. It could still pay off but he's never going to be a superstar. DJ is fringe and always will be. Sherman has the capacity to be better and has showed some positive signs but needs to be more consistent in his effort and in keeping his mouth shut.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I would also have liked to bank picks 37 and 66 for Josh Hill
    Excuse me if i am wrong, but didnt Pelchen offer up Suckling for Hill in a straight swap before picks came into the equation?

Re: my original post, i am still hopeful Sherman can offer something long term, but he really needs to deliver when it comes to running hard, pressuring hard, tackling hard and putting in a 4 qtr effort consistantly.

Cant see Vez getting alot of game time as really Higgins and Gia play a similar role. Fitness needs to improve alot if he is to become a regular.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been really happy with Sherman in his first year with us - minus the racism of course.

I dont think DJ is up to it, and I cant pass comment on Vez until he actually plays for a sustained period - which if it doesnt happen, answers the question in itself.

What I really like the look of though is our smokey picks and rookies coming through. Guys like Barlow, Dalhause, Schofield, Howard and potentially Tutt. They all seem to have something about them that contributes well – really think Barlow is a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
    I've been really happy with Sherman in his first year with us - minus the racism of course.

I dont think DJ is up to it, and I cant pass comment on Vez until he actually plays for a sustained period - which if it doesnt happen, answers the question in itself.

What I really like the look of though is our smokey picks and rookies coming through. Guys like Barlow, Dalhause, Schofield, Howard and potentially Tutt. They all seem to have something about them that contributes well – really think Barlow is a bargain.
    I agree with what you have said, except I am not prepared to write DJ off yet. However, what I have seen of him, he shows a little potential but decision making is very poor. Hopefully he can improve in this area.

In regards to the OP's qusetions, I don't believe the three are wasted picks - yet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post

Barlow has been handy...better than I thought he'd be but not someone you can see being part of a top four side.....which is what we want to be again sooner rather than later. To me he's a gap filler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Barlow has been handy...better than I thought he'd be but not someone you can see being part of a top four side.....which is what we want to be again sooner rather than later. To me he's a gap filler.
    I think Barlow is your typical big man only starting to mature in his mid 20's. I think he can improve as he has shown something in his few games for us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sherman has been good. Apart from the GC incident.

The other two are young enough to turn it around.