Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finals or bust?

Post Thanks / Like

Finals or bust?

Have noticed quite a few posters state that they would rather us miss the finals than finish 8th and get knocked out round one (presumably) and was interested to see how everyone felt.

I know there are a lot of hypotheticals involved but at a guess and basing it on making the 8 (and getting knocked out first round) versus finishing in our current spot (12th) what would your preference be and why?

My preference would definitely be to make the 8. Aside it meaning we must have finished the year relatively well, a bit more finals exposure to our group and the likelihood that the team that missed out would be Essendon or the Saints, it is also a matter of pride.

I don't subscribe to the tanking methodology and as a kid I grew up supporting two teams (VFL/AFL and SANFL) that were lucky to win a few games, never mind have a crack at a final. The moments in the four or five wins to get there will heavily outweigh the hurt of another lost final and 12 and 10 reads a hell of a lot better than 7 and 15 for the momentum of the club both offield and onfield in the next year.

Finishing 12th might give us a slightly better draft pick and mean we are able to get a few more games into a couple of younger blokes but what will the damage be to our brand, psyche and membership numbers?

Will it mean the difference between Callan Ward staying or going? Will it mean a potential trade target is not that keen on coming to a club that looks 'on the way down'?

For me we fight like hell in every game, season over or not. And then we fight some more.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finals or bust?

Give me finals any time. Any chance the players have to taste the increased intensity of finals football is far more positive than the benefits derived from being a couple of places higher up the draft order.

Post Thanks / Like

Finals!

I'm still angry about Jeff White's dive that cost us a finals spot all those years ago. Finals experience is huge and would love some of our kids to experience it. We finish where we are now what do we get? Pick 13 or 14 in a compromised draft. No thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Before our recent win over the Dees I had a very loud discussion with a Blues mate of mine. He wanted to know how the Bulldog supporters have handled the heartache of being so close and fighting so hard for nothing in the recent years only to now watch the absolute decline of our entire side?

I Answered by explaining what it feels like to have an absolute cracking year, how your legends stand up and deliver even when injured, and how your kids play out of their skins.

I then leant in and whispered now in a few weeks you can explain what it feels like to have an absolute cracking year, eyes only on a top four finish only to somehow at the last second miss the coveted top four by half a game, and suddenly find yourself in a knockout final with the Dogs lose by 5 goals and sack ya coach.

I ended it with dont worry you can thank me later we both know You wont win a flag with Ratten anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Wishful thinking I know but I'm hanging on to it.

Post Thanks / Like

You will always go finals, also we put the fitness team on the park we can so if it includes kids and a chance we wont make it so be it.

Playing Cooney in the hope he may give us something is a waste of time and in hindsight didn't give us anything and has most likely put him back a little more. Young blood may have given us the same output.

No tanking I would still want the club to give it it's best shot.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather play finals, but it ain't going to happen this year. Come draft day I would rather finish 12th than 9th though.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I would rather play finals, but it ain't going to happen this year. Come draft day I would rather finish 12th than 9th though.
    I understand what you are saying, and maybe two or three picks earlier will make a big difference, but that means we keep losing. The negatives still outweigh the positives IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Have noticed quite a few posters state that they would rather us miss the finals than finish 8th and get knocked out round one (presumably) and was interested to see how everyone felt.

I know there are a lot of hypotheticals involved but at a guess and basing it on making the 8 (and getting knocked out first round) versus finishing in our current spot (12th) what would your preference be and why?

My preference would definitely be to make the 8. Aside it meaning we must have finished the year relatively well, a bit more finals exposure to our group and the likelihood that the team that missed out would be Essendon or the Saints, it is also a matter of pride.

I don't subscribe to the tanking methodology and as a kid I grew up supporting two teams (VFL/AFL and SANFL) that were lucky to win a few games, never mind have a crack at a final. The moments in the four or five wins to get there will heavily outweigh the hurt of another lost final and 12 and 10 reads a hell of a lot better than 7 and 15 for the momentum of the club both offield and onfield in the next year.

Finishing 12th might give us a slightly better draft pick and mean we are able to get a few more games into a couple of younger blokes but what will the damage be to our brand, psyche and membership numbers?

Will it mean the difference between Callan Ward staying or going? Will it mean a potential trade target is not that keen on coming to a club that looks 'on the way down'?

For me we fight like hell in every game, season over or not. And then we fight some more.
    To me these are more important than falling into the 8 and getting bundled out. We need to be preparing for 2012 now.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I am firmly in the "NEVER GIVE UP - NEVER GIVE UP"

The difference in draft picks may or may not make a difference and is unknown for quite a while. Although it is a factor in EVERY round of the draft.

Winning and making finals is worth far more in club culture, membership and sponsorship.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Finals

Even if we are on the recieving end of a 70+ point shalacking I would prefer we play finals, important for the development of our younger players

We have lost games that were easily winnable this season, so I doubt we are going to have any September action, unless we go 3 from 4 or 4 from 4, and the teams above us have a terrible run...

Post Thanks / Like

Would I like to have a visit from Jen Hawkins every Friday night after I have had a few beers with my mates at the golf club? Yes!

Would I rather see our team play finals this year than not? Yes.

Are either a snowflakes chance in hell of happening? No.....

Post Thanks / Like

Finals, thats why we play footy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As I have mentioned elsewhere I personally would rather a 9th place finish than limping into the 8. I think this will provide the hunger and impetus for a better showing next year and not dent the confidence and morale of the group heading into the preseason.

Who wants to be pumped by 123 points again in Perth? I just don't think that is the kind of lesson our young players need nor do I think that is the kind of finale our supporters would want to see.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The best we can do given the challenges we have with managing aging players and injury.
    WesternOval'61