Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finals or bust?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finals or bust?

Finals and the experience it brings.

But we have no chance this year. 6 points off with in juries aplenty and Hawks, West Coast, Freo and Essendon to come.

Post Thanks / Like

People invest themselves in the club and ride the ups and downs. for the sake of the fans, finals or bust.
    There are too many variables to say if finishing outside the 8 is really going to help us next season.
    We won't get there this season but want to see the club fight to the bitter end.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I would rather play finals, but it ain't going to happen this year. Come draft day I would rather finish 12th than 9th though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am firmly in the "NEVER GIVE UP - NEVER GIVE UP"

The difference in draft picks may or may not make a difference and is unknown for quite a while. Although it is a factor in EVERY round of the draft.

Winning and making finals is worth far more in club culture, membership and sponsorship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    People invest themselves in the club and ride the ups and downs. for the sake of the fans, finals or bust.
    There are too many variables to say if finishing outside the 8 is really going to help us next season.
    We won't get there this season but want to see the club fight to the bitter end.
    We fight no matter what. Go down swinging. Because that's the ONLY way to instill a never-say-die, win-at-all-costs attitude, which is exactly what everybody on this forum has been whinging that we lack.

I'd rather play a final in Perth and be absolutely belted by the team I happen to absolutely loathe than purposefully not try to win games.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't need to bust in order to not make finals, we aren't good enough anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd much rather limp into the eight and drop out than languish at the a*** end of the ladder. As previously stated, it would give the Pups a look at what is required to take the next step, and as they say, 'anything can happen'. Yes, I know we haven't got a proverbial snowball's chance of going anywhere, but as someone who has only recently ('07), returned to actively going to games, I'd much prefer to be heading to the G at finals time to watch the Dogs - win, lose or,(as much as I hate them....) draw. Winning games at least helps players' confidence, gets sponsors more air time (thereby helping the coffers), it gives supporters something to get excited about come the weekend.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    We fight no matter what. Go down swinging. Because that's the ONLY way to instill a never-say-die, win-at-all-costs attitude, which is exactly what everybody on this forum has been whinging that we lack.

I'd rather play a final in Perth and be absolutely belted by the team I happen to absolutely loathe than purposefully not try to win games.
    It's not about purposefully trying to lose. It's about our opinions with regard to whether playing in the finals or not is actually going to provide us with something for next year.

There's no real difference in terms of draft picks etc. if we finish 8, 9 or 10.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunatly you dont get a choice!

The Bulldogs are not good enough for a finals berth this year. Simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Finals football is why the players do a preseason

I would rather give the young boys a taste of finals football and get them hungry for that buzz again

Post Thanks / Like

I want us to try and win each game. For pride, for professionalism, for reward of the hard work of the players and coaches, to give hope to the die hard supporters and give the fickle ones reasons to hang tough.

That shouldn't involve playing aging out of form players in preference to kids.

I don't necessarily agree that any finals experience, even a walloping, is good. I don't think anything is gained from triple figure shellackings on a big stage. It doesn't necessarily build character, it can build the timidity and fear of failure that I think haunts our group.

So I don't think finals should be our sole focus, but neither should folding like a pack of cards and being completely uncompetitive for the rest of the year. We should be selecting young guys (no choice at present), and introducing them to a consistent game plan and a style that will win a lag. Eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remember54 View Post
    I want us to try and win each game. For pride, for professionalism, for reward of the hard work of the players and coaches, to give hope to the die hard supporters and give the fickle ones reasons to hang tough.

That shouldn't involve playing aging out of form players in preference to kids.

I don't necessarily agree that any finals experience, even a walloping, is good. I don't think anything is gained from triple figure shellackings on a big stage. It doesn't necessarily build character, it can build the timidity and fear of failure that I think haunts our group.

So I don't think finals should be our sole focus, but neither should folding like a pack of cards and being completely uncompetitive for the rest of the year. We should be selecting young guys (no choice at present), and introducing them to a consistent game plan and a style that will win a lag. Eventually.
    Well said

Post Thanks / Like

11 wins will get us in. The only game we cant win is the Hawks every other game we can including the Eagles. We are back inside and back to 7 day breaks its hugely important at this time of year anyting other than 7 days and you will struggle. We had under 6 days plus travelled for the Swans....We had no chance. We have to try and run the Eagles off their feet and play on at all costs...We can beat them they are in the same boat as we were last week the transition from Sunday twilight to Saturday arvo interstate is hugely underestimated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post

But we have no chance this year. 6 points off with in juries aplenty and Hawks, West Coast, Freo and Essendon to come.
    Yep, but funny how so many don't realise this.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see us winning possibly only 2 more games. The season's shot, better just let players have operations and shelf them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Unfortunatly you dont get a choice!

The Bulldogs are not good enough for a finals berth this year. Simple as that.
    That's not the question I posed.

It was more a theoretical question on the back of a lot of posters saying they would actually 'prefer' not to make the finals because we probably wouldn't progress past the first round.