Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GWS, Bulldogs battle for Ward

Offload Lake keep Ward at the extra 50K increase money saved on Lake plus hopefully 2 good draft picks as compo or one the 17 year old from G.W.S .
    Lake has issues with the dogs and we are not going to win flag in the next 2 years .[TIME TO KEEP WARD FUTURE CAPTAIN AND REBUILD]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No, its a matter of balancing the list.

I for one would be pissed off if I found out we lost Ward for the sake of $50k
    And I bet there'd be another 10 players at the club who'd be pissed off that the club would find another $50k for Ward but not for them when they have other clubs throwing offers at them. Where does the line between balancing the list and not alienating 10 senior players sit?

I could live with losing him for a matter of $50k when we're already offering arguably $100k over his true value.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    And I bet there'd be another 10 players at the club who'd be pissed off that the club would find another $50k for Ward but not for them when they have other clubs throwing offers at them. Where does the line between balancing the list and not alienating 10 senior players sit?

I could live with losing him for a matter of $50k when we're already offering arguably $100k over his true value.
    But we don't know this, we are just guessing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But we don't know this, we are just guessing.
    It's a pretty safe assumption.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    The way Ward is playing now he may well already be our second best player behind Griff (discounting Lake and Cooney due to injury).

He is moving up the Marmo votes with a bullet over the last month or so.

I would sell the farm to keep him.
    This and this for me too. We need to keep him.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    This and this for me too. We need to keep him.
    Lake played his arse off in his contract year too, but we just paid half a million bucks for 5 shithouse games this year. I'm not for inflating player offers based on half a season (heck, six farking games) of performance.. if GWS want to pay over the odds, we'll take the picks and keep building that balanced list without mortgaging our future; long contracts are buyer-beware territory anyway, I would love it if all these multi-year contracts that GWS are throwing away backfire and they have expensive also-rans and not-quite-stars stuck on massive contracts -- just stopped short of wishing injuries on their (future) overpaid mercenaries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Lake played his arse off in his contract year too, but we just paid half a million bucks for 5 shithouse games this year. I'm not for inflating player offers based on half a season (heck, six farking games) of performance.. if GWS want to pay over the odds, we'll take the picks and keep building that balanced list without mortgaging our future; long contracts are buyer-beware territory anyway, I would love it if all these multi-year contracts that GWS are throwing away backfire and they have expensive also-rans and not-quite-stars stuck on massive contracts -- just stopped short of wishing injuries on their (future) overpaid mercenaries.
    Fair enough, but I'm of the opinion he will be our second best player next year(behind Griffen) and would be happy for him to be payed accordingly. I don't think he is a flash in the pan and will end up being remembered as one of our better players.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, but I'm of the opinion he will be our second best player next year(behind Griffen) and would be happy for him to be payed accordingly. I don't think he is a flash in the pan and will end up being remembered as one of our better players.
    We all respect your opinion, and you maybe on the money.
    But the Dogs can't pay a player over a $1m going off your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Paying someone on potential is the most irresponsible thing a club can do.

And when we overpay for Ward do we do the same for Wood, then Roughead, then Jones, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

And when we overpay for Ward do we do the same for Wood, then Roughead, then Jones, etc.
    And like we did with Higgins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    We all respect your opinion, and you maybe on the money.
    But the Dogs can't pay a player over a $1m going off your opinion.
    Who said anything about over a million?

I said he should be payed as our second best player which at a guess would put him in the $450-$500,000 range.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

To me with Ward we are now getting performance over potential anyway.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Who said anything about over a million?

I said he should be payed as our second best player which at a guess would put him in the $450-$500,000 range.
    Per year.
    So unless he gets a 1 year deal he'll be getting over a million in his next contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Chef, I'm with you. I want Ward to stay but we can't get in a bidding war with GWS for someone like him.
    By "like him" I mean a soild midfielder who (and I'm setting myself up to get shot down here) can be replaced. Now what I mean by that is his type of role can be covered, there are people like Wally JR, Libba JR, etc etc that are coming through that should slot into the 'bust a gut' mid/utility role that Ward currently plays. Unfortunatly he doesn't hold a 'Key' position eg. #1 ruck, Power Forward, Lock down Defender. The types of positions where it is very very hard to find a good player to fill let alone a superstar.
    My concern, like many is if we set a standard with Ward, what is the flow on effect going to be in a few years if someone like Roughead is up for contract and he becomes one of the "key position superstars" where you need the big bucks because these types are few and far between?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Chef, I'm with you. I want Ward to stay but we can't get in a bidding war with GWS for someone like him.
    By "like him" I mean a soild midfielder who (and I'm setting myself up to get shot down here) can be replaced. Now what I mean by that is his type of role can be covered, there are people like Wally JR, Libba JR, etc etc that are coming through that should slot into the 'bust a gut' mid/utility role that Ward currently plays. Unfortunatly he doesn't hold a 'Key' position eg. #1 ruck, Power Forward, Lock down Defender. The types of positions where it is very very hard to find a good player to fill let alone a superstar.
    My concern, like many is if we set a standard with Ward, what is the flow on effect going to be in a few years if someone like Roughead is up for contract and he becomes one of the "key position superstars" where you need the big bucks because these types are few and far between?
    We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't see him as this.
    The curse is dead.