Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GWS, Bulldogs battle for Ward

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't see him as this.
    Me either. He will be a blue chip insider, but more importantly, the way he plays I think he has the capacity to be the inspirational barometer for the team and in that I can see him being an excellent 'on field' captain.

A Lenny Hayes type for mine. I'm just struggling to assess his worth in $.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Me either. He will be a blue chip insider, but more importantly, the way he plays I think he has the capacity to be the inspirational barometer for the team and in that I can see him being an excellent 'on field' captain.

You summed up my thoughts perfectly 1eyedog. He is also a big game performer.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto for me. He is our Joel Selwood IMO.

bold-dogg Guest

We won't win a premiership if we can't keep our best players. The kid's 21 and he's already a star. We should make every effort to keep him. If we don't it's a huge fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

He already is a "blue chip insider".

If the Dogs throw the cheque book at him, I hope you are right 1.E.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bold-dogg View Post
    We won't win a premiership if we can't keep our best players. The kid's 21 and he's already a star. We should make every effort to keep him. If we don't it's a huge fail.
    Gotta agree. The club aren't paying over the odds,as he has become our second best onballer.if they're silly enough to do what Melbourne are supposedly doing with Scully(600 large a season)then I'd be concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

He's good but to suggest he's anything higher than our 3rd best mid (this year) is ridiculous. Boyd and Griff well and truly have him covered and Coons when fit (like in the Carlon and Melbourne game) is also better. Hell you could argue that on output Cross is also better. It seems our supporters overrate him as much as GWS. I'll say it again he is very, very good (especially for a 21 y.o) but there are still serious question marks on his kicking and acceleration (he gets caught a lot).

The real questions are:
    Is he worth the same (or similar) money as Cooney or Lake post 08 and 09 respectively? And if not will he ever be? Or will he be Matthew Boyd mark II (i.e., a very good player but not an out and out superstar)?

Post Thanks / Like

He 's gone past Cross at a million miles an hour ,equal and going past Boyd ( not having a go at Boyd)
    He's 21 and has more upside right now than Cooney(injuries hurting)he's behind Griffen IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    He 's gone past Cross at a million miles an hour ,equal and going past Boyd ( not having a go at Boyd)
    He's 21 and has more upside right now than Cooney(injuries hurting)he's behind Griffen IMO
    Say here. In a couple of seasons we aren't going to have Boyd, Cooney or Cross either.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    He already is a "blue chip insider".

If the Dogs throw the cheque book at him, I hope you are right 1.E.D.
    Okay, depends how you define blue chip. He's not Hayes blue chip. I don't think we should throw the cheque book at him as others have stated that will have implications for the pay cheques for all the other good players on our list. I don't know what the right amount is and I agree that there is certainly some risk of paying overs if he doesn't deliver.

I think there are fairly good signs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Purely on current form he's past Boyd IMO, his effectiveness by hand and foot is superior and his percentage of turn overs and kicking to opposition players also considerably less.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bold-dogg View Post
    The kid's 21 and he's already a star.
    A STAR? He is going OK, but if you are averaging 20 possessions and .5 a goal each week, you are not a 'star'. Cooney is ahead of him on both of these numbers and has had a 'terrible' season - playing on one-leg at times and subjected to all kinds of criticism.

Callan in great. I love watching him play - but if signing him means other key pieces have to leave, well - isn't that why we drafted two more inside mids (Wallis + Liberatore) at the end of last year? Or was that all emotion and sentimentallity.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

bold-dogg Guest

I'm aware that Ward isn't Judd or J. Brown. I'm one of those people that thinks a footballer matures, at AFL level, at the age of 23. Rucks have to wait an extra year. It's silly, but sometimes you just can't beat empirical knowledge. Real stars, like Judd, tear it up as 18 year olds. Ward was better than most 18 year olds going around though. Regardless of his deficiencies, if he's this good at 21, he will be a star, and in my heart that already makes him one. The game about 2 years ago when the Bulldogs coaching-box was mic'd up, we were getting thrashed in the middle. Leon Cameron: "put Cooney in the middle." We lose that hit out too. Cameron: "Take Cooney out. Put Ward in the middle." We win the next two clearances. I thought "the kids a star." I take your point about Libba And Wallis. Lake? Ward? We might end up with D. Tyson in that midfield too.

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, lovely sentiments, but the salary cap doesn't have a special allowance for sentiment. If anyone can name one single massive multiyear contract at any club, much less at the dogs, that hasn't had buyer's remorse all over it a couple of years down the track, i'll bite. The salary cap is a reality, not just an easily ignored nuisance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Once again, lovely sentiments, but the salary cap doesn't have a special allowance for sentiment. If anyone can name one single massive multiyear contract at any club, much less at the dogs, that hasn't had buyer's remorse all over it a couple of years down the track, i'll bite. The salary cap is a reality, not just an easily ignored nuisance.
    I'm sure Carlton supporters would be more than willing to give you one example although to be fair he is an uber premium who continues to work his magic who is also remunerated outside their stinking cap.

bold-dogg Guest

I'll zip it on this subject in future, I promise. I'm not sure the keep-Ward posts are about sentiment.
    Looking at our list, and considering the salary cap, and the loosening of our purse-strings with the retirement of well-paid senior players over the next 3 years, I can see the big bucks will be required for Ward and Wood and maybe Howard, maybe Cordy, maybe Jones, maybe Liberatore, maybe Wallis. We'll be divvying up 8 million not-maybe dollars anyway.
    Obviously there are sums we can't match, but we've got to match it on the field and, I'll say it again, match it as a club. Ultimately it's up to Callan, and this is a rather extraordinary situation, so the outcome is pretty much outside the club's control (as was the case with Harbrow). But good clubs keep their good players, I'm Derryn Hinch, and that's my opinion.

NB. I'm not Derryn Hinch.