Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade will opt for the younger players

Matt Windley From: Sunday Herald Sun

RODNEY Eade insists his side has not put the cue in the rack, but admits younger players will have selection priority after the Western Bulldogs' finals hopes were all but ended with an eight-point loss to West Coast at Etihad Stadium.

And while declaring Adam Cooney a near-certain starter for the Dogs' next game in two weeks, Eade said the club was considering sending the Brownlow medallist overseas at the after the season for surgery on his right knee.

He spoke of his pride in the Dogs' ability to fight back from a 50-point deficit in the third quarter yesterday, but lamented a questionable umpiring decision that gave Eagles' forward Jack Darling a go-ahead goal late in the fourth quarter.

Liam Picken was adjudged to have brought Darling to ground after a marking contest deep inside West Coast's attacking 50m.

Darling goaled from the free kick and the Dogs did not score again.

"I was watching the incident, but I didn't see the free kick," Eade said.

"But we can't get it back. If it's wrong, it's wrong, that's it. It might have cost us the game, but that's footy, that's the way it is. In a tight game like that you may keep your whistle in your pocket, but that happens.

"But, as I've said, there's some things that we needed to be better at and (show) a bit of poise. That last mark (to Dean Cox in the final minute), we should have been able to spoil."

He said the Dogs would continue to try to "win as many games as you can", but said he would continue to give youngsters game time.

The club has given debuts to eight players this year, a tally bettered only by Gold Coast. "We'll play players on form but, having said that, if there's a line ball, we'll play a kid," Eade said.

"We obviously played a lot of young lads today and we have the past eight or so weeks. But if there's a young lad who we think hasn't played a game at this stage we might obviously give him a game, so that will be a chance."

Eade said he did not see the point in prematurely ending Cooney's season - as the club has done with injured full-back Brian Lake - but admitted it was exploring options to aid the star midfielder's recovery from knee soreness.

"We might look at some alternatives overseas or something at the end of the year," he said.

"We're investigating that at the moment. But from the information we've got, there's not a lot we can do to improve it, it's just management of his knee.

"Putting Cooney out to pasture is not going to make his knee any better than what it is. If he has to have an operation then having it earlier is not going to make him any better and playing is not going to make it any worse.

"That's our medical advice. Adam's got two weeks with the bye next week, so we would think he would be right to play."

West Coast does not play a top eight side for the remainder of the season and, with a game in hand on fourth-placed Carlton, are in the box seat to snare fourth spot.

But coach John Worsfold refused to be drawn on the Eagles' finals fate after yesterday's win.

"The work we've done up until this point has been really outstanding by the players, but that's done and dusted now, that gives us nothing," Worsfold said.

"What's ahead for us is what's exciting and that starts next week.

"What comes in whatever number of weeks' time that is, who knows, we'll wait and see.

"But there's no use in this game worrying too much about possibilities because things move too quickly and change too quickly."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade will opt for the younger players

"But we can't get it back. If it's wrong, it's wrong, that's it. It might have cost us the game, but that's footy, that's the way it is. In a tight game like that you may keep your whistle in your pocket, but that happens."

Very diplomatic, Rocket
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

All of this is fine - but doesn't it seem like 5 seconds ago when we had old players and young players and no-one in the middle? And that was going to be our focus...and once again we have old players and young players and no-one in the middle. And of those who are 'in the middle' the only thing that is going to save players such as DJ from delisting is their contract status.

I know we have to delist 3 each year - which generally means the 'draftees minus 2' are the first to go if they haven't showed anything - but how has this cycle come around so quickly...or is that just my perception?

Absolutely 'play the kids', but at this stage isn't it more worth while trying to find out if there is any reason whatsoever in sticking with the likes of Tutt, Mulligan (I know he played yesterday), Stack (same for Mulligan), Skinner etc etc etc. I would add Cordy to that list but will be shouted down.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    All of this is fine - but doesn't it seem like 5 seconds ago when we had old players and young players and no-one in the middle? And that was going to be our focus...and once again we have old players and young players and no-one in the middle. And of those who are 'in the middle' the only thing that is going to save players such as DJ from delisting is their contract status.

I know we have to delist 3 each year - which generally means the 'draftees minus 2' are the first to go if they haven't showed anything - but how has this cycle come around so quickly...or is that just my perception?

Absolutely 'play the kids', but at this stage isn't it more worth while trying to find out if there is any reason whatsoever in sticking with the likes of Tutt, Mulligan (I know he played yesterday), Stack (same for Mulligan), Skinner etc etc etc. I would add Cordy to that list but will be shouted down.
    I don't agree. We hardly have no mid age players. All of Coons, Griff, Higgins, Ward, Picken, Wood, Sherman, Williams and Minson will be in their mid to early 20s at the start of next year. From this point on they (with help from some oldies) need to be our core. It's just a shame that Harbrow left, and Stack and Hill haven't come on as that'd turn the above list from okay to really good. I hardly think this is entirely the fault of our list management.

As for your last paragraph I agree on Mulligan and Stack but Skinner was only just drafted (with question marks on his tank), Tutt will play this year but was also seen as a long-term project (aka underdeveloped) and Cordy has had a run with injuries only surpassed by Tommy Williams in his early years, all Ayce needs is consistency of football at any level. But to your list I would add Vez, DJ, Barlow and Josh Hill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    I don't agree. We hardly have no mid age players. All of Coons, Griff, Higgins, Ward, Picken, Wood, Sherman, Williams and Minson will be in their mid to early 20s at the start of next year. From this point on they (with help from some oldies) need to be our core. It's just a shame that Harbrow left, and Stack and Hill haven't come on as that'd turn the above list from okay to really good. I hardly think this is entirely the fault of our list management.

As for your last paragraph I agree on Mulligan and Stack but Skinner was only just drafted (with question marks on his tank), Tutt will play this year but was also seen as a long-term project (aka underdeveloped) and Cordy has had a run with injuries only surpassed by Tommy Williams in his early years, all Ayce needs is consistency of football at any level. But to your list I would add Vez, DJ, Barlow and Josh Hill.
    Fine.

Cooney - injured and future uncertain.
    Ward and Wood - Both young players - these guys are only 20-21.
    Minson - Reserves player.
    Griff, Higgins, Picken, Sherman, Williams I will give you. That still means in a list of basically 46 we have 5 players who fit into the 'middle' age group...even if you claim Ward, Wood and Grant (same draft), that still only makes 8.

Since when are 2nd round draft picks (Tutt) seen as long term projects? Give me a break - it is now or never for him. At 177cm he needs to make an impact NOW or he wont be there in 2012.

Hill will be delisted. DJ should be (but 3 year contract will save him-whilst dooming Tutt) and Barlow tries hard but will always be the sort of player you are trying to replace. Vez I have hope for but if he cannot get his body ready to play in the midfield this should be it for him as well.

Cordy has had a run with injuries similar to the run of injuries he had as a junior. What evidence do you really need to say he is simply not made for full-time football? Or should we sign him to another extension and hope that something changes?

Is all of this harsh? Yes - but we simply refused to make tough calls in the last couple of seasons and now this is where we are.

Post Thanks / Like

Fine.

Cooney - injured and future uncertain.
    Ward and Wood - Both young players - these guys are only 20-21.
    Minson - Reserves player.
    Griff, Higgins, Picken, Sherman, Williams I will give you. That still means in a list of basically 46 we have 5 players who fit into the 'middle' age group...even if you claim Ward, Wood and Grant (same draft), that still only makes 8.

Since when are 2nd round draft picks (Tutt) seen as long term projects? Give me a break - it is now or never for him. At 177cm he needs to make an impact NOW or he wont be there in 2012.

Hill will be delisted. DJ should be (but 3 year contract will save him-whilst dooming Tutt) and Barlow tries hard but will always be the sort of player you are trying to replace. Vez I have hope for but if he cannot get his body ready to play in the midfield this should be it for him as well.

Cordy has had a run with injuries similar to the run of injuries he had as a junior. What evidence do you really need to say he is simply not made for full-time football? Or should we sign him to another extension and hope that something changes?

Is all of this harsh? Yes - but we simply refused to make tough calls in the last couple of seasons and now this is where we are.
    hill - out
    Barlow - disagree strongly. Makes a few clangers but a hard match up for opponents. Bad call.
    Agree with Tutt.
    Stack I still have hope for. Kicked a great goal on the weekend but does some strange things.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Barlow - disagree strongly. Makes a few clangers but a hard match up for opponents. Bad call.
    In what role GD?

He tries really hard and does a couple of things, but I just thing he is the classic JOAT and master of none. I really cannot see where he plays long-term.

Post Thanks / Like

In what role GD?

He tries really hard and does a couple of things, but I just thing he is the classic JOAT and master of none. I really cannot see where he plays long-term.
    If promoted to the senior list and next year the side was performing better than it is currently would he still be in the selection mix?
    He's a handy, spare parts player that can fill a few positions but probably not own one.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In what role GD?

Has the physical attributes of an Ash Hansen, hit up centre half forward. With Bazza gone next year and Grant seemingly gone backwards might allow Jones to play closer to goal and have the resting ruck down there as well. I tend to agree though that he doesnt do enough to warrant a spot as a gap filler.

Post Thanks / Like

In what role GD?

I respect your view MJP, but just have to disagree here.
    I mean, what role does Goddard play?

Ed is a defensive forward.
    He can contest the kick ins in the air, as we saw yesterday
    His kick is long and can bomb it in, as we saw yesterday.
    He has a dip and tackles hard as we saw yesterday.
    his role is to pinch hit in the ruck, and get the ball into the foward 50, tackle and chase. and he did that well yesterday.
    Honestly, at times I think people have a thing against blondes. ^_^
    He has two left feet at times; it ain't pretty, but he is effective at times and is getting better.

He was consigned to the seconds by many on here before he even had a taste of firsts.
    The surprise of 2011
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I respect your view MJP, but just have to disagree here.

He's an attacking player.
    his role is to pinch hit in the ruck, and get the ball into the foward 50, tackle and chase. and he did that well yesterday.
    Please say you did not just compare Ed Barlow to Brendan Goddard? You can not even begin to compare them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Please say you did not just compare Ed Barlow to Brendan Goddard? You can not even begin to compare them.
    Not the player, but the position. What is Goddards position on field?

Post Thanks / Like

The difference between Goddard and Barlow is that Goddard plays in different roles because he is so skilled that when he is back - the coaches feel they are missing something by not having him forward. And when he is forward, they look at the balance and move him into the middle...he is a top 3 player at the Saints at basically every position on the ground except Ruck.

Barlow is versatile - but the question I am asking is what position on the field could he really nail down? I love his effort and have been pleased with his contribution...but I am still not certain he plays if we are at full strength. When you have to play at your absolute best every week in order to contribute - you simply cannot last...

Then again, I guess Liber (Sr) made a career out of playing with maximum effort and being willing to do things others wouldn't - but keep in mind he did nail down a position on the field. Barlow has been a little bit forward, little bit mid, little bit ruck...it is a hard way to do it. From a coaching perspective, you want guys with the ability to be versatile - but being versatile cannot be their main trick - they need to be in the side to play a role and I wonder what role it is that Barlow will play.

You say defensive forward...but I am not sold.

And I am married to a blonde (or someone who claims to be a blonde!).

Post Thanks / Like

Not the player, but the position. What is Goddards position on field?
    I misread you initial post.

Apologies GD

Post Thanks / Like

The difference between Goddard and Barlow is that Goddard plays in different roles because he is so skilled that when he is back - the coaches feel they are missing something by not having him forward. And when he is forward, they look at the balance and move him into the middle...he is a top 3 player at the Saints at basically every position on the ground except Ruck.

Barlow is versatile - but the question I am asking is what position on the field could he really nail down? I love his effort and have been pleased with his contribution...but I am still not certain he plays if we are at full strength. When you have to play at your absolute best every week in order to contribute - you simply cannot last...

Then again, I guess Liber (Sr) made a career out of playing with maximum effort and being willing to do things others wouldn't - but keep in mind he did nail down a position on the field. Barlow has been a little bit forward, little bit mid, little bit ruck...it is a hard way to do it. From a coaching perspective, you want guys with the ability to be versatile - but being versatile cannot be their main trick - they need to be in the side to play a role and I wonder what role it is that Barlow will play.

You say defensive forward...but I am not sold.

And I am married to a blonde (or someone who claims to be a blonde!).

Ok so you can't be blondist!
    I think you answered your own question. He's a utility player, more out of need than skills. We're at a low point in terms of performance. He'll help cover us in areas while we can develop other players. With the sub rule as it is, he's a blessing for us.

How would Howard go as a small forward.? Worked for Gillbee earlier in the season in one game.

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I misread you initial post.

Apologies GD
    No worries at all Azabob!