Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Barlow is a potato
    This.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade will opt for the younger players

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Ok so you can't be blondist!
    I think you answered your own question. He's a utility player, more out of need than skills. We're at a low point in terms of performance. He'll help cover us in areas while we can develop other players. With the sub rule as it is, he's a blessing for us.

How would Howard go as a small forward.? Worked for Gillbee earlier in the season in one game.

No worries at all Azabob!

I dont think Howard can apply the defensive pressure thats required in that role - not sure what his crumbing skills are like as I havent seen him play that role at Willy.

We need players with silky smooth skills like him on the HBF - and some pure mongrel in the F50

Post Thanks / Like

Barlow is a potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This.
    Can't agree with this. He had a poor first half but really contributed in the second half, including a goal as well as a goal assist. He is the sort of player that is hard to match up on and at 196cm can almost play as a small.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't agree with this. He had a poor first half but really contributed in the second half, including a goal as well as a goal assist. He is the sort of player that is hard to match up on and at 196cm can almost play as a small.
    I didn't make the comment based on Saturday. I made the comment based on his overall crappiness at Sydney and at the Dogs.

He cannot catch.

He is a potato.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't make the comment based on Saturday. I made the comment based on his overall crappiness at Sydney and at the Dogs.

He cannot catch.

He is a potato.
    Although a different type of player they used to say similar things about Leigh Brown.

Post Thanks / Like

Barlow is a potato
    Glad you said it that way there is no real backlash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Glad you said it that way there is no real backlash.
    No point in arguing, we all have our opinions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How would Howard go as a small forward.? Worked for Gillbee earlier in the season in one game.

!
    Is this to help with primarily defensive pressure or to be an attacking option?

I think our forward line is quite functional at the moment. Different story when Hall leaves.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed is a defensive forward.
    Said it a number of times already, defensive forward - a make believe place where you put players that have no position.
    We have about 5 of them, all completing for this mythical position. No co-incident its players like Reid, Barlow, Hooper, Addison, etc.
    Throw him in at Offensive back.

Post Thanks / Like

Barlow is a potato
    Exactly. Potatoes are a staple diet. We may all prefer a glass of Judd, a slice of Swan, but Potatoes are what we eat, more than Salmon, Sockeye.
    Barlow is going to be a great cover for the development of younger, more skilled players.
    I don't see what the knock is on a player who doesn't have a fixed position?
    In an Injury hit side, it's a huge advantage to have a player of his height who has any kind of tank. Who gives a rats doodle what happened at Sydney? Here and now.
    He's not pretty to watch, granted, but he puts that shaggy blonde Melon over the ball and I LIKE IT.

And by the way, after going to the game, watching the guy bust a gut for our club, then you labeling him a dud? Well, celebrate the spud, bud.

in some ways, some more highly skilled players can be worse than spuds. Everitt!
    Like buying a chocolate eclair and finding they forgot to put any cream in it.
    But a good honest spud. Mash it, boil it or bake it.
    The boy from Bega, a cheesy spud yes, but sometimes that's what gets the job done.
    So there. Rant over.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is this to help with primarily defensive pressure or to be an attacking option?

I think our forward line is quite functional at the moment. Different story when Hall leaves.
    thinking about next year. until Jones develops, we will be very lopsided without Barry. Attacking option.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He cannot catch.
    He is only a few weeks removed from a broken hand/finger

I am not arguing he is a superstar but he's been handy and I think his hands over the past two weeks have not been as good as they were pre-injury

Post Thanks / Like

thinking about next year. until Jones develops, we will be very lopsided without Barry. Attacking option.
    Will be a very interesting 2012 to see how the forward line functions without Hall.

Hopefully Vez can figure out what is required to become an AFL player as he has the ability to play as a lead up forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    He is only a few weeks removed from a broken hand/finger

I am not arguing he is a superstar but he's been handy and I think his hands over the past two weeks have not been as good as they were pre-injury
    He couldn't catch before he broke his finger, either.

Barlow is exactly the same as Everitt, with all the same problems that Everiit had, except that he has about 1/10 of Everitt's talent (and as far as I know he doesn't have an idiot brother).

Once Barlow passes the 20 game barrier (no chance IMO) he will be the most hated Bulldogs player in the history of the internet.