Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade will opt for the younger players

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    He couldn't catch before he broke his finger, either.

Barlow is exactly the same as Everitt, with all the same problems that Everiit had, except that he has about 1/10 of Everitt's talent (and as far as I know he doesn't have an idiot brother).

Once Barlow passes the 20 game barrier (no chance IMO) he will be the most hated Bulldogs player in the history of the internet.

Post bookmarked. revisit this one in 20 Barlow games
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't make the comment based on Saturday. I made the comment based on his overall crappiness at Sydney and at the Dogs.

He cannot catch.

He is a potato.
    Why cant Barlow be played as a bash and crash CHF ? He just has to bring the ball down. His long kicking isnt bad. Keep him there for 1-2 years until Jones, Panos/Tommy Hill develop, and Ayce develop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Why cant Barlow be played as a bash and crash CHF ? He just has to bring the ball down. His long kicking isnt bad. Keep him there for 1-2 years until Jones, Panos/Tommy Hill develop, and Ayce develop
    Because he's about as physical as Sam Power.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the honesty Sockeye in your assessment of players. Some on here I believe are too biased.
    I would be interested to know who of the following players you think has a long term career at the dogs or at AFL level?
    Addison
    Stack
    Hooper
    Djerkurra
    Mulligan
    Minson
    Reid
    Markovic

I think they are all list cloggers.
    Last edited by Desipura; 02-08-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Love the honesty Sockeye in your assessment of players. Some on here I believe are too biased.
    I would be interested to know who of the following players you think has a long term career at the dogs or at AFL level?
    Addison
    Stack
    Hooper
    Djerkurra
    Mulligan
    Minson
    Reid
    You can be biased either way.

Of your list (I know you asked SS but I'm weighing in with my ten cents worth), I'd pick to still be here at the end of 2013:

DJ (contract runs out then, so we'd have to trade him otherwise).
    Minson (if he doesn't retire).
    Reid could go either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Addison - No
    Stack - Perhaps
    Hooper - No
    Djerkurra - No
    Mulligan - Unlikely
    Minson - Yes
    Reid - No
    Markovic - Perhaps
    Addison has a crack but just isn't very good any anything in particular. Perhaps if he was quicker he might be a chance but he ain't.

Stack may not make it but at least I see enough to think he has the tools. He moves well enough and his skills are good enough.

Hooper has shown nothing that makes me think he will ever be any more than a fair/good VFL player. Miles off AFL and I can't see where he can improve.

DJ's ball handling simply is not of AFL standard.

Mulligan is similar to Stack. Has the physical attributes but will he ever turn into a player? Probably not.

I think Minson is actually quite a decent ruckman, he's just a very ordinary forward. No doubt he has been hurt by Hudson being an even worse forward than Will is.

Reid - too slow, can't kick.

Markovic could make an honest go of a 4-5 year/ 50-70 game AFL career but will ultimately get pushed out by the time he's 28 when someone younger is found to do as good a job. Would only survive if he was adequate enough that replacing him didn't become a high priority. Potential eker.

Post Thanks / Like

Addison has a crack but just isn't very good any anything in particular. Perhaps if he was quicker he might be a chance but he ain't.

Stack may not make it but at least I see enough to think he has the tools. He moves well enough and his skills are good enough.

Hooper has shown nothing that makes me think he will ever be any more than a fair/good VFL player. Miles off AFL and I can't see where he can improve.

DJ's ball handling simply is not of AFL standard.

Mulligan is similar to Stack. Has the physical attributes but will he ever turn into a player? Probably not.

I think Minson is actually quite a decent ruckman, he's just a very ordinary forward. No doubt he has been hurt by Hudson being an even worse forward than Will is.

Reid - too slow, can't kick.

Markovic could make an honest go of a 4-5 year/ 50-70 game AFL career but will ultimately get pushed out by the time he's 28 when someone younger is found to do as good a job. Would only survive if he was adequate enough that replacing him didn't become a high priority. Potential eker.
    Thanks. Hard to disagree with your assessment. Minson as a week in week out ruckman I do not believe can make it.
    Having said that, he is the most likely.
    Stack lacks intensity.

Post Thanks / Like

Barlow is exactly the same as Everitt, with all the same problems that Everiit had, except that he has about 1/10 of Everitt's talent (and as far as I know he doesn't have an idiot brother).
    Dre would be lucky to have 1% of Barlow's work ethic and desperation. I've watched him live 3 times now and he simply does not stop working his arse off and running to provide an option for his mostly static teammates. He sucked in the first half on Saturday but it certainly wasn't for lack of effort, and he was as instrumental as anyone else (with the exception of Boyd) in the fightback.

In answer to MJP's post earlier, for mine Barlow is ruck relief/follower in the Stefan Martin/Leigh Brown mould, but can pinch hit up forward or down back as needed. He could also be used as a run-with option to blunt the effectiveness of the top-echelon mobile ruckmen (such as a Cox type). None of Minson, Hudson (if he is retained) or Roughy can go with these types, and we have the perfect person to blunt their effectiveness.

The bloke can outrun Crossy in a time trial - he gets huge props for this alone. Not every tall is going to be blessed with the sublime skill of a Hart or a Templeton or a Grant - he might be a potato but he's my potato.

Post Thanks / Like

Stack lacks intensity.
    I don't think he lacks intensity - he goes hard enough when needed. His main problem is his decision making when he has the ball. When he doesn't have to think about the consequences, he can do some great things on the park. But give him time and space with the ball and he goes to water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Not every tall is going to be blessed with the sublime skill of a Hart or a Templeton or a Grant - he might be a potato but he's my potato.

*Apologies if the picture didn't actually work, I can't actually see it on my work computer.
    Last edited by Daughter of the West; 02-08-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Picture didn't work
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Post Sedat.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I don't think he lacks intensity - he goes hard enough when needed. His main problem is his decision making when he has the ball. When he doesn't have to think about the consequences, he can do some great things on the park. But give him time and space with the ball and he goes to water.
    I agree with this. I think the thing he lacks is confidence. When he stuffs up it's because he seems unsure in what he is doing. This is happening less, and I actually think he's been fairly solid this year, and unlucky to be dropped at times (after an early trip to Perth perhaps was the most suprising). I'm more than happy to give him another year if his performances stay at the same level or higher, certainly ahead of a Hooper. Stack at least has several AFL qualities, we are just waiting on them to come together. They probably won't, and like many say he probably will never be a quality AFL player, but I actually don't think he's too far off being a good average player.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Because he's about as physical as Sam Power.
    Were you actually at the WC game? Not sure we are actually talking about the same player. I saw him go straight in and under several times, and once go back with the flight of the ball and take a terrific mark. Confused.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I agree with this. I think the thing he lacks is confidence. When he stuffs up it's because he seems unsure in what he is doing. This is happening less, and I actually think he's been fairly solid this year, and unlucky to be dropped at times (after an early trip to Perth perhaps was the most suprising). I'm more than happy to give him another year if his performances stay at the same level or higher, certainly ahead of a Hooper. Stack at least has several AFL qualities, we are just waiting on them to come together. They probably won't, and like many say he probably will never be a quality AFL player, but I actually don't think he's too far off being a good average player.
    Stack reminds me of Farren. These guys are athletic enough and seem to have all the tools, but geez, ask them to make a decision and it's a hospital handpass to no-one in the corridor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Stack reminds me of Farren. These guys are athletic enough and seem to have all the tools, but geez, ask them to make a decision and it's a hospital handpass to no-one in the corridor.
    I re-watched the WC game last night and I thought Stack played very well and did little wrong. I think his decision making is getting better as he gains more experience. He is very athletic and has some good skills. The 60 metre kick off one step to nail a goal was brilliant as was the 40 metre grass cutter pass to hit Hall on the chest.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.