Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Demons sack Bailey

Demons sack Bailey
    Caroline Wilson
    July 31, 2011 - 9:01PM

Melbourne has reacted harshly to Saturday's humiliating loss to Geelong by sacking coach Dean Bailey.

The coach of almost four years learned at 8pm that he was finished with the club.

Assistant coach and former captain Todd Viney is hot favourite to step in for the remainder of the season.

The decision to terminate Bailey came after a crisis meeting called by the board at around 5pm, which in turn followed about 24 hours of political turmoil in the wake of the debacle against the Cats.

While Bailey was a direct casualty of the Skilled Stadium defeat - an AFL record loss - he is expected to be followed soon by chief executive Cameron Schwab, whose position at the club has been tenuous for some months.

Bailey came to the club before Jim Stynes administration took over the club in the middle of the 2008 season and, with his contract ending at the end of this season, has been under pressure all year despite the club sitting only six points out of the eight.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/melbour...#ixzz1TgDjhVHA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demons sack Bailey

No great shock. That effort was the final nail.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting they're saying he's been sacked. No one gets sacked anymore, they always "step down from the position", surely Bailey didn't refuse and forced them to actually sack him?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Had to happen. If we hadn't turned it around in the 2nd half yesterday, who knows what would've happened to Eade. But at least in terms of getting close to teams, we've been relatively competitive, save for the WC debarcle first time around.

186 points is horrendous. Kudos to the Cats for being able to do that. I'd imagine sitting 114 up at half time it'd be easy to sit back and just cruise.

Bailey's career is now finished. There's 2 vacant coaching slots. Melb/Eade could fit quite well. Not unlike we were when he arrived to us. A few high draft pics but a squad that's seemingly going nowhere.

Will be an interesting next 2-3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

The crazy part is I have just done the ladder predictor and even allowing for their complete crapness on the weekend have them sneaking into the 8!.

I think I am going crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

So, what the hell has Bailey done in the last three years that was worth bothering about? Can't believe the media gave him as much of a free ride as they did. Seriously, he was Melbourne's Rhode.. the best thing they can say about him is that they were so crap he got them top draft picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    The crazy part is I have just done the ladder predictor and even allowing for their complete crapness on the weekend have them sneaking into the 8!.

I think I am going crazy.
    Definitely don't think it's crazy. They play Carlton this week but their last 4 is the easiest month you're ever going to get. Eagles @ ES, Tigers @ MCG, GC @ MCG and Port @ Adelaide Oval (had to check twice!).

Essendon and Freo keep losing players. The Dees could play poorly and still win 3 of their last 5 to get them to 10.5. It would be very odd to see a caretaker have an average start to their reign and still coach in the finals!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post

Essendon and Freo keep losing players. The Dees could play poorly and still win 3 of their last 5 to get them to 10.5. It would be very odd to see a caretaker have an average start to their reign and still coach in the finals!
    Will be worse for them making the finals than not -- that raw, tired, broken list limping in to play Carlton or West Coast? They may break their own 190 point record loss against Fitzroy from back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the sense in sacking him now unless more heads are on the block as well.
    If Viney steps in and gets them into the finals they might feel obligated to give him the position rather than locating the best candidate.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If Viney steps in and gets them into the finals they might feel obligated to give him the position rather than locating the best candidate.
    How would 'conflict of interest' go when they take his son under the Father/Son rule?
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    How would 'conflict of interest' go when they take his son under the Father/Son rule?
    Probably just leaves it to the recruiters with the clubs position stating the were going to take him anyway.

Wouldn't be too much of a hurdle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Probably just leaves it to the recruiters with the clubs position stating the were going to take him anyway.

Wouldn't be too much of a hurdle.
    I meant more so when it comes to match day selection.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Warning - Big footy esque rant

God I'm sick of Melbourne, with their stupid collars flapping around.
    Silverspooners! suffer in yer jocks.

Rant ended
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I meant more so when it comes to match day selection.
    I'm hearing he is that good, the kid picks himself

Post Thanks / Like

It makes our loss to Geelong at KP this year look pretty decent!