Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Massive losses in AFL

Some massive losses / wins in the past few weeks
    Port were killed tonight

Can't be good for the game
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Massive losses in AFL

These results look like WRFL games of recent times.The Gap is widening,but no doubt Angry Anderson and Demetriou will put some B/S spin on it!
    The most interesting thing today is the twitter war with G.Thomas v T. Wallace.
    Interesting stat todayGeelong players have had 72 Brownlow votes in a row at Kardinia Park!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    These results look like WRFL games of recent times.The Gap is widening,but no doubt Angry Anderson and Demetriou will put some B/S spin on it!
    Interesting stat todayGeelong players have had 72 Brownlow votes in a row at Kardinia Park!
    That's just plain scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Some massive losses / wins in the past few weeks
    Port were killed tonight

Can't be good for the game
    Was thinking the same thing last night. I can't remember the last time so many clubs were so uncompetitive at the same time.

Gold Coast have an excuse, inexperienced team full of light bodies. What excuses do Melbourne and Port have?

Post Thanks / Like

Get used to it. The distance between the rich and the poor will get greater over time. This is a sign of things to come.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the way the AFLs pet team {port}of recent years has capitulated and are going further down the gurgler, and they are in a football state, how long will GWS last ?
    Didnt the AFL fly over recently and give them 8 milllion?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Are these blow outs anything to do with the sub rule?
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Here's Miick's spin on it.

Stop the rot

COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse says people will turn off football if games continue to be one-sided.

Facing the media after the Magpies obliterated Port Adelaide by 138 points at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night, Malthouse said the gulf separating clubs at opposing ends of the ladder was too wide.

"As a purist, you like to see games of football that are relatively even," Malthouse said.

"I just think the score lines at the moment in AFL football have to be a worrying trend to the AFL."

The average winning margin of three games played on Saturday (Geelong defeated Gold Coast by 150 points, Carlton defeated Melbourne by 76 points, and Collingwood won by 138 points) was 121.3 points.

"I suppose, if you are going on the trend of the year, we should have won the game. And we did," he said.

"But we are seeing far too much of this. I just think we might murder our game in its present state.

"This is not going to bring people to the football. Most people would've turned that off."

Collingwood dominated the Power from the outset, booting the first 12 goals of the game before Port finally found the big sticks in the dying seconds of the second term.

By then the reigning premier was in cruise control, with eleven players gathering 18 disposals or more and six Magpies finishing with multiple goals. Collingwood had 44 scoring shots to Port's six, further illustrating the visitors' dominance.

The records also tumbled at AAMI Stadium, as the Magpies held the Power to their lowest total in AFL history and handed Port their heaviest defeat since entering the competition.

The 138-point margin was also Collingwood's third-highest winning margin, ousting the Pies' 128-point thrashing of St Kilda in round 17 of the 1901 season.
    MORE
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    What was this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re "Mick's spin"
    Just saw his press conference on the sports news. I think it is funny that a Collingwood official (Mick) is worried about a lop sided competition when their club doesn't loose players to expansion teams or lack any favours from the AFL or its structure.

Post Thanks / Like

GWS come in next year.

You would think they will be less competitive than GC and their average losing margin next year will exceed Gold Coast's (currently 70) throw in Port Adelaide who you cannot see being competitive anytime soon, one sided games aren't going anywhere over the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Re "Mick's spin"
    Just saw his press conference on the sports news. I think it is funny that a Collingwood official (Mick) is worried about a lop sided competition when their club doesn't loose players to expansion teams or lack any favours from the AFL or its structure.
    Perhaps he's advocating gifting every club a Collingwood player of their choice and Bucks can sort out what's left?

Post Thanks / Like

The game is cooked.

If the Bulldogs aren't playing I don't bother watching anymore... My only interest is to see how my SC players are going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The game is cooked.

If the Bulldogs aren't playing I don't bother watching anymore... My only interest is to see how my SC players are going.
    That's a major worry, when fans start saying that.
    People are going to be really unhappy with the expansion of the AFL if 'core' clubs go to the wall for a long period
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The game is cooked.

The Bombers v Swans game last night was alright. But I agree with you, increasingly often neutral games are one-sided and boring.

Certainly makes it worse when your team isn't doing well, makes it much easier to just want to switch off from footy.

Post Thanks / Like

The game is cooked.

Agree, I have seen about 2 other AFL games
    not involving the bulldogs this season.
    Previos years I would make an effort to watch Friday or Saturday night games.
    It's almost like baseball in that there are too many games and a large proportion of them are boring
    Last edited by Desipura; 07-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.