Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No new tricks

Post Thanks / Like

No new tricks

By Terry Wallace

ON SATURDAY night I worked at the Western Bulldogs and Essendon game.

Throughout the week I thought that the Dogs, with a week off to recharge - even with a few injuries - might be able to take it up to the Bombers, but when I analysed their strengths and weaknesses I came to the conclusion very quickly that the Dogs were in trouble and couldn't win.

Some Doggie supporters may be still bitter on me leaving the club.

As a Life Member I understand the club's history and I am desperate to see the Bulldogs finally succeed, but looking at the playing list it's clear the club is now in a major transitional period and a long way off the premiership glory that has been all so close for the past 15 years.

My research for Saturday night's game showed that inexperience would hurt the Doggies.

They had 10 players who had appeared in 25 matches or fewer compared to the Bombers' four. It is very tough to have success when you have so many players learning on the job.

But there was another problem. In the same game the Bulldogs had eight players who were 28 years or older.

The issue for the Bulldogs is that they have a group of senior players coming to the end of their careers but a major gap between them and their ready-made replacements.

An ageing list

Over the past couple of seasons the Dogs have lost some highly experienced players. They had a real crack at breaking their premiership drought, but eventually age caught up with them.

Their star captain Brad Johnson couldn't keep the dream alive for himself and the club, while the recruiting of Nathan Eagleton and later Jason Akermanis wasn't able to bring the ultimate success.

The Bulldogs had been building a group of players over a decade, but the problem is this group of solid citizens - either having grown up with the club or having been brought in for the finishing touches - have not been able to get the job done.

They are now unlikely to improve as individuals or as a collective, which becomes a major issue for the club.

Look at the ages and make your own assessment: Barry Hall (34), Ben Hudson (32), Mitch Hahn (30), Lindsay Gilbee (30), Ryan Hargrave (30), Brian Lake (29), Robert Murphy (29), Daniel Giansiracusa (29), Matthew Boyd (28) and Dale Morris (28).

Have injuries killed the Dogs?

Like so many teams in the competition the Western Bulldogs have been hit very hard with injury, but it reads more like old age catching up with the group than merely bad luck.

Certainly Adam Cooney's situation is unlucky. His degenerative knee injury has cut him down and in my opinion made him only half the player he was at the top of his game.

He was almost a star before his time and may never get back to the peak of his powers.

Apart from Cooney their injury list suggests an ageing team.

Over the course of the year they have had obvious problems with Lake, who had three major surgeries in pre-season, but don't forget he is 29 years of age. Hargrave has struggled with injury while niggles to Gilbee and the unfortunate Morris shows a battle-weary side.

Where are the mid-range players?

Great AFL teams always have champions between the ages of 22 and 26. At the moment the Bulldogs are lacking in this critical age bracket.

The loss of Jarrod Harbrow to the Gold Coast at 22 years of age hurt, but a killer blow would be to lose Callan Ward, a local Williamstown boy aged 20, to GWS.

When looking at the club you see a group of players who have not been able to establish themselves and you have to question whether they are going to be a part of the next successful Bulldog era.

These are the players who have to step up - Dylan Addison (23), Jarrad Grant (21), Josh Hill (22), Will Minson (25), Brodie Moles (25), Brennan Stack (23), James Mulligan (22), Ed Barlow (24). But are they up to the task?

The trade debate

At the end of last season the Bulldogs, in their mind, were still close to both finals and premiership success.

Class forwards were a priority in the trade period, but more importantly the Dogs needed players able to apply pressure.

I think they overcompensated because of the frustration of being so close to a Grand Final when they traded into the club three options to address their forward line deficiencies.

It is questionable whether any of Nathan Djerrkura (22), Justin Sherman (24) or Patrick Veszpremi (21) will make them a better team in the future.

In the last week the Western Bulldogs have announced that they need to boost spending on their football department to keep up with current trends.

The club has identified a list manager as their first objective.

I think that, more than most clubs, they have some huge decisions ahead and agree that this appointment will be critical to any future success.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No new tricks

Fair assessment from Terry.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Must now field the 'line ball' selections and see if they can go the extra level required. Acid test. If not, they get moved to the trade table option. Find a proven bunch of second tier players who will keep their chins up in the face of superior opposition and get them playing as a team. It's all about defensive pressure and application for mine. Laconic types with unreliable form have to be weeded out.Those who don't embody the spirit of the Bulldog can be moved on please. It's going to be a challenging period but with luck, if we can keep a few brilliant key leaders, like ward, who inspire the 'good' players, might be able to avoid being cellar dwellers.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The club has identified a list manager as their first objective.

I think that, more than most clubs, they have some huge decisions ahead and agree that this appointment will be critical to any future success.

Isnt Terry now a Talent Development consultant or wannabe list manager without a list to manage? Maybe he wants a job back at the Whitten Oval?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems a pretty accurate take on where we are at and the challenges we face

Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace...

I rewatched 'Year of the dog' the other night and my bitterness towards Terry is really starting to fade, he really showed some passion and love for the dogs back then.

Could he have a role at our club again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Terry Wallace...

I rewatched 'Year of the dog' the other night and my bitterness towards Terry is really starting to fade, he really showed some passion and love for the dogs back then.

No. And...no.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Terry Wallace...

As long as it's not coach.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit, he makes some very good points and I have been thinking the same myself (as have many others on this forum). Do I want to see him back to the club - ??? need to think about that one....

Post Thanks / Like

If he wants to be the boot studder, sure…

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terry/Captain Obvious!

Try say something we don't clearly know already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    No. And...no.
    reasoning Andrew?
    As an assistant, he could be quite useful
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    By Terry Wallace

Their star captain Brad Johnson couldn't keep the dream alive for himself and the club, while the recruiting of Nathan Eagleton and later Jason Akermanis wasn't able to bring the ultimate success.
    Agree some obvious and fair points, but the Eagleton trade, really? He was only about 21 when we did it and Wallace was the coach at the time. Talk about irrelevant ancient history.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

neddie Guest

Smile Re: No new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Fair assessment from Terry.
    Yes fair assessment,but a bit negative,what about the positives?--Dalhlhaus,Liberatore,Wallis,Jones ,Howard,Schofield,Roughead,Cordy and possibly Tutt if given the opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    reasoning Andrew?
    As an assistant, he could be quite useful
    The bitterness remains, for me. Yes, it's water under the bridge, bygones be bygones and all that. I just don't think he's "through and through". And he's got tickets on himself. I don't reckon he'd come back in an assistant role, either.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]