Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Eade calls on Dogs to sack or back him

Eade calls on Dogs to sack or back him
    Caroline Wilson
    August 16, 2011

RODNEY EADE has asked the Western Bulldogs to bring forward a decision on his future as the out-of-contract coach entertains the prospect of offers from other clubs.

Eade's manager Phil Mullen contacted Bulldogs chiefs late last week asking them to hasten their decision to back or sack its coach of seven years.

With both Melbourne and Adelaide looking for a new coach, D-Day has come early for Eade and his club with the 53-year-old understood to have fielded some interest from the Crows. He has taken the relatively under-resourced Bulldogs to three consecutive preliminary finals.

Although the odds of Eade winning another contract at Whitten Oval seem to be against him, no decision has been made on the coach who yesterday presented to Bulldogs' board members and executive team as part of the club's two-day planning meeting at a Red Hill convention centre.

Eade and his football department are understood to be providing the club with a detailed analysis of the Bulldogs' list. While yesterday's presentation was not an official meeting with the coaching sub-committee, Eade is believed to have made it clear he sees himself as best-equipped to continue to develop the club's emerging young stars.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1V8gjlgSP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade calls on Dogs to sack or back him

Would love to be a fly on the wall and see what Rocket said about our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Another article along the same lines:

Western Bulldogs closer to call Rodney Eade's future

Post Thanks / Like

'Although the odds of Eade winning another contract at Whitten Oval seem to be against him....'

How can she say this? Based on what? More information would be useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Another article along the same lines:

Western Bulldogs closer to call Rodney Eade's future
    I think a pertinent part of the article and what the club maybe looking at is this:

"The process is more of a window into Eade's plan to develop the playing list than a formal job interview."

Obviously over the past few years we were aiming for a premiership and probably didn't develop enough of the youth we should have. The club now wants to see what are Eade's plans to develop the young guys, and ease out the older group.

At the end of the article this was interesting:

"Teammate Adam Cooney on the weekend told Triple M that Ward was still "confused" about the decision facing him.

He is considered 50-50 to stay, despite the outside perception he is almost gone to GWS."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    'Although the odds of Eade winning another contract at Whitten Oval seem to be against him....'

Based on idle speculation and gossip.

I.E. Your typical Caro sources.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he stays.

EASILY be the most successful coach in my life time (and i am old)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Based on idle speculation and gossip.

I.E. Your typical Caro sources.
    Beat me to it westdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I hope he stays.

Likewise. I'm too young to really remember Malthouse. I only remember him walking out on us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I hope he stays.

Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Likewise. I'm too young to really remember Malthouse. I only remember him walking out on us.
    A few of us have been waiting a little longer
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Back him.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be mightily unhappy if Eade is let go. And I'm already pretty disgruntled about lots of other footy issues at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Back him.
    Hard to do though. Port did with Williams and a few months into the new season it cost them a fortune to move him on.

The fans won't cop another poor season unless the club lowers the expectation bar. Is he the right man to rebuild the list again and how many years will it take are the biggest questions that need to be answered.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hard to do though. Port did with Williams and a few months into the new season it cost them a fortune to move him on.

The fans won't cop another poor season unless the club lowers the expectation bar. Is he the right man to rebuild the list again and how many years will it take are the biggest questions that need to be answered.
    Geelong did with Thompson and Collingwood did with Malthouse.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, we don't want to make the Williams mistake

If we re-contract Eade then we have to support him by adding a new list manager and at least one new senior assistant, probably two.

It is possible for us to change and improve all whilst keeping Eade. Clearly Eade does a lot of things well as a coach but IMO we need to add some strong assistants around him and Eade needs to allow them to help reshape and reinvigorate the playing list.

If we just re-contract Eade and think it will turn around then I don't think it is going to happen.

I can cop us having to develop a new team, as it is obvious watching us that we need to improve.

Post Thanks / Like

Could history be repeating itself. Wheeler revitalised the Club after Malthouse left and Wallace did much the same after Rhode/ Joyce. Maybe we are witnessing a similar cycle with Rocket. The 64 dollar question remains on a suitable replacement if there is to be one.
    Scott Burns is highly regarded and appeals in the Clarkson, Ratten mould, coming from a successful proven background. I would also favor the return of Chris Bond from the West as Football Operations Manager to inject new life into the football department. Bond was highly regarded by our senior players, prior to his move to Fremantle. This in turn should help our recruiting area which has been struggling to produce the goods in recent times.