Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade calls on Dogs to sack or back him

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Scott Burns is highly regarded and appeals in the Clarkson, Ratten mould, coming from a successful proven background. I would also favor the return of Chris Bond from the West as Football Operations Manager to inject new life into the football department. Bond was highly regarded by our senior players, prior to his move to Fremantle. This in turn should help our recruiting area which has been struggling to produce the goods in recent times.
    Our recruiting in recent times looks ok.

Our recruiting from about 2003 to 2007 was shitful and we are paying the price now.

BTW I do agree that Bond would be a welcome addition to our footy dept., but he left for a very handsome contract so hopefully we can persuade him to come back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hard to do though. Port did with Williams and a few months into the new season it cost them a fortune to move him on.

The fans won't cop another poor season unless the club lowers the expectation bar. Is he the right man to rebuild the list again and how many years will it take are the biggest questions that need to be answered.
    If somebody can tell me of somebody who is realistically a better option to rebuild the playing list/develop the current crop - then thats fine. People can say 'we need to sack Eade' as much as they want - but unless there is a better alternative - its fairly pointless.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of depth in the market for coaches at the moment (from an outsiders perspective) so unless the powers that be - have a suitable candidate in mind - I'd hope that they would get behind Rocket pretty swiftly.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to do though. Port did with Williams and a few months into the new season it cost them a fortune to move him on.

The fans won't cop another poor season unless the club lowers the expectation bar. Is he the right man to rebuild the list again and how many years will it take are the biggest questions that need to be answered.
    Comparing Eade with Williams is like comparing Whitten with Cam Wight. Port won a Premiership despite him.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see Eade stay but in the event he doesnt, Dean Laidley would be my choice.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

It's a difficult call to judge from the outside. I would be disappointed if Eade left, primarily because we know he is a very good coach. He (clearly) needs a much stronger support base around him - which means a radical clean out of assistants and co. I'm not convinced we'll go down this path.

NBP makes an interesting point and it's one we can't know for certain. Perhaps we do need to be reinvigorated.

Interesting times ahead. There's plenty of risks either way - as mentioned above with the Williams situation etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Geelong did with Thompson and Collingwood did with Malthouse.
    We can exchange hits and misses with coaching appointments all we like but the similarity I'm suggesting is that much like Port we don't have the funds to make the wrong decision.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    If somebody can tell me of somebody who is realistically a better option to rebuild the playing list/develop the current crop - then thats fine. People can say 'we need to sack Eade' as much as they want - but unless there is a better alternative - its fairly pointless.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of depth in the market for coaches at the moment (from an outsiders perspective) so unless the powers that be - have a suitable candidate in mind - I'd hope that they would get behind Rocket pretty swiftly.
    Nobody has said that Eade should be sacked, lets not add emotion to the discussion, and I don't for one minute suggest that Eade isn't a great candidate but we can't escape the fact that with the state of our playing list and our performance on the field doesn't bode well for a quick fix.

Right at this moment I'm not convinced Eade can get us back to a top 4 side within the next 2 years. That isn't me knocking Eade's coaching credentials, because they are impressive, it's more around a realization that we have made a number of errors with list management over the last 4 years and we might not now have the list to go further.

I want him to stay on but unless it part of a comprehensive change within the football department it's hard to rubber stamp another 2 year deal for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I would like to see Eade stay but in the event he doesnt, Dean Laidley would be my choice.
    Pleeeeeasse NO! ONe of the worst coaches in recent history. Completely unable to coach his team to wins. Gritty yes, hard yes. Tactical no. He is a one one trick pony and a good assistant or Dir of Football but not a coach. If we are concerned about Eade the Laidley would be a backwards step!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting call by rocket considering I remember him saying at the start of the year that if we didn't make the 8 he knows he won't be there next year so deep down he knows he is gone and wants to sort himself out for next year.
    I am one who hasn't been impressed with rocket and his team over the last 18 months but other than the pie in the sky scenario's of Malthouse & Roos I'm not sure who would be a better fit.
    If he gets appointed is 2 years long enough to turn this list around? I don't think so but if Smorgo gives Eade another contract I can't see it being more than 2 years.
    The longer it goes on the more it looks like Eade won't be there and Smorgans comments seem to me he is looking for an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody has said that Eade should be sacked, lets not add emotion to the discussion, and I don't for one minute suggest that Eade isn't a great candidate but we can't escape the fact that with the state of our playing list and our performance on the field doesn't bode well for a quick fix.

Right at this moment I'm not convinced Eade can get us back to a top 4 side within the next 2 years. That isn't me knocking Eade's coaching credentials, because they are impressive, it's more around a realization that we have made a number of errors with list management over the last 4 years and we might not now have the list to go further.

I want him to stay on but unless it part of a comprehensive change within the football department it's hard to rubber stamp another 2 year deal for him.
    I wasn't directing the "sack Eade" comment at yourself. More so, it was directed at your comment about the fans not copping another poor season.

Unfortunately Bulldogs fans will have to be patient - as its likely we will have a poor year in terms of Win/Loss ratio. That wouldn't disappoint me. What would disappoint me is if we didn't show some adequete signs of development - and an approach/game plan set in place aimed at being a genuine contender 3,4 or 5 years down the road.

I suspect Bulldogs supporters (like yourself) will be patient, and Bulldogs barrackers will not be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Pleeeeeasse NO! ONe of the worst coaches in recent history. Completely unable to coach his team to wins. Gritty yes, hard yes. Tactical no. He is a one one trick pony and a good assistant or Dir of Football but not a coach. If we are concerned about Eade the Laidley would be a backwards step!
    did take an ordinary North Melbourne to a prelim final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I'm not suggesting we get Laidley - and have no idea how to compare him to Eade - but I don't agree with your assessment of his coaching.

A good mate of mine played about 100 games under Laidley and rated him extremely highly from a tactical, and motivation perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    How can she say this? Based on what? More information would be useful.
    It's Caro. You're assuming she actually HAS more information
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

This is the fundamental

Eade has done a good job, but our footy department needs more than just Eade, and the powers that be need to recognise it and have a comprehensive plan to rectify it

Post Thanks / Like

My question on Rocket is whether he is able to cut deep enough.