Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade calls on Dogs to sack or back him

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    My question on Rocket is whether he is able to cut deep enough.
    It could well depend on what type of re-build we look to implement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It could well depend on what type of re-build we look to implement.
    Does the review panel make that decision too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I wasn't directing the "sack Eade" comment at yourself. More so, it was directed at your comment about the fans not copping another poor season.

Unfortunately Bulldogs fans will have to be patient
    - as its likely we will have a poor year in terms of Win/Loss ratio. That wouldn't disappoint me. What would disappoint me is if we didn't show some adequete signs of development - and an approach/game plan set in place aimed at being a genuine contender 3,4 or 5 years down the road.

I suspect Bulldogs supporters (like yourself) will be patient, and Bulldogs barrackers will not be.
    And the problem with this is that 12 months back the fans were told a GF was the expectation and 12 months later that they need to be patient. I can't see the majority of fans simply excepting that.
    The questions that need to be answered by this review are along the lines of
    Why has this occurred?
    What can be put in place to get us back into top 4 mix?
    Is Eade the right person to chart the course again?

I obviously haven't heard Eades view on things but if it is a 3, 4 or 5 year commitment to become a genuine contender again I don't think it can be sold to the Bulldog faithful and that makes the re-appointment of Eade that much harder.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Does the review panel make that decision too?
    I would think that the review panel and coach should be in agreeance on the best way forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    And the problem with this is that 12 months back the fans were told a GF was the expectation and 12 months later that they need to be patient. I can't see the majority of fans simply excepting that.
    The questions that need to be answered by this review are along the lines of
    Why has this occurred?
    What can be put in place to get us back into top 4 mix?
    Is Eade the right person to chart the course again?

I obviously haven't heard Eades view on things but if it is a 3, 4 or 5 year commitment to become a genuine contender again I don't think it can be sold to the Bulldog faithful and that makes the re-appointment of Eade that much harder.
    Doesn't that all depend who the alternative is?
    Change is not always necessarily for the better.
    Anyway, the reasons we are where we at, IMO are not Rocket's fault and I hope he kicks on.
    Then again, if we get a new coach, all the more interesting!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    This is the fundamental

Eade has done a good job, but our footy department needs more than just Eade, and the powers that be need to recognise it and have a comprehensive plan to rectify it
    We must add to the recruiting team, appoint a list manager and identify a strong 2IC as an assistant coach at the very least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Doesn't that all depend who the alternative is?
    Change is not always necessarily for the better.
    Anyway, the reasons we are where we at, IMO are not Rocket's fault and I hope he kicks on.
    Then again, if we get a new coach, all the more interesting!
    Not at all. That was the error Port made.
    They through they wanted a GF coach but had a sub standard list and the two just didn't gel. They are still paying for that miscalculation.

Regarding the 'not Rockets fault' assessment, then how did we get where we are at?
    Injuries? - Sure there is some merit in that but the Hawks lost a key forward and had no ruckman for a period of time but have remained a genuine contender.

Post Thanks / Like

We must add to the recruiting team, appoint a list manager and identify a strong 2IC as an assistant coach at the very least.
    It's hard to disagree with any of those suggestions. Are you confident our brains trust are capable of filling these roles with the right people?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    My question on Rocket is whether he is able to cut deep enough.
    This is a valid point.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's hard to disagree with any of those suggestions. Are you confident our brains trust are capable of filling these roles with the right people?
    The problem is (and I hate to say it) I don't think we have the right people of make the decision.
    - Smorgon is the man who set the who GF expectation which was a problem for us in the early part of the year.
    - Fantasia hasn't completed trades or contracts correctly over the last 2 years and is still to appoint a list manager. If he can't appoint a list manager why would anyone think he he can add value in a coaching appointment?
    No problems with Garlick or Pappas but we needed someone else who understands what the coaching caper is all about and where it is heading.

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. That was the error Port made.
    They through they wanted a GF coach but had a sub standard list and the two just didn't gel. They are still paying for that miscalculation.

Regarding the 'not Rockets fault' assessment, then how did we get where we are at?
    Injuries? - Sure there is some merit in that but the Hawks lost a key forward and had no ruckman for a period of time but have remained a genuine contender.

Ok, I see your points

But...So Primus is not to blame in any way? At least Port had some semblance of Morale under Choco.

And regards us,

I don't think hawthorn are a fair example as it's your backline that's the hardest staffing arena. Try Essendon without Fletch for example. You can find ball getters and string together a forward line as Carlton did, post Fev, but backlines win premierships.

We have had Lake, Morris Cooney, Williams, Hargrave out. I mean these are critical outs especially down back.

In addition, our starts have been very slow, only to come back to within a few goals ( Eagles / Essendon.
    What's going on there? Leadership group issue? Price of too much youth at once?
    Rocket has made errors, but his hand has not been kind this season.

That's all besides the point now. If a younger coach comes along with a new vision, so be it. At the end of the day, players relate better to younger coaches.
    But I still give Rocket the benefit of the doubt in respect to this season and won't be disappointed if he gets another year. or, roll the dice, get in someone new.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Smorgan say something to the effect of Eade's contract will depend on if he makes a GF or not at the start of the year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Didn't Smorgan say something to the effect of Eade's contract will depend on if he makes a GF or not at the start of the year?
    He said "We have to play in a grand final and obviously we'd love to win a grand final. We have no excuses." The media jumped all over it (Eade coming out of contract of course), and he then backpedalled, saying it was not necessarily linked to Eade's re-appointment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226020161896
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I see your points

But...So Primus is not to blame in any way? At least Port had some semblance of Morale under Choco.

The club is to blame for Primus. If they made the right call and let Williams go when the form of the side suggested it would be a good thing rather than having to axe Williams half way through the following season it's highly doubtful that Primus would have won the job. He did and OK job as the interim coach and after the big payout to Choco they had no funds to chase a more experienced guy.

And regards us, do we put the blame for our current situation 100% with Rocket?
    Of course not but he has made a lot of wrong decisions with maintaining players longer than he should have and some questionable rookie promotions.
    I keep saying he needs more support but most just want him to be reappointed regardless.
    That will not necessarily work as it's a far bigger decision.

I don't think hawthorn are a fair example as it's your backline that's the hardest staffing arena. Try Essendon without Inspector Gadget

We have had Lake, Morris Cooney, Williams, Hargrave out. I mean these are critical outs especially down back.
    Surely you are not adding Morris to the argument?

Regardless of injuries, the Hawks managed them all better because of their structures and recruiting.

IMO, We can make allowances for injuries but not excuses.

That's all besides the point now. If a younger coach comes along with a new vision, so be it. But I still give Rocket the benefit of the doubt in respect to this season and won't be disappointed if he gets another year. or, roll the dice, get in someone new.
    If they can't give him more support then we need to go in with a fresh approach.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is (and I hate to say it) I don't think we have the right people of make the decision.
    - Smorgon is the man who set the who GF expectation which was a problem for us in the early part of the year.
    - Fantasia hasn't completed trades or contracts correctly over the last 2 years and is still to appoint a list manager. If he can't appoint a list manager why would anyone think he he can add value in a coaching appointment?
    No problems with Garlick or Pappas but we needed someone else who understands what the coaching caper is all about and where it is heading.
    I also think we're in a bit of trouble.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.