Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
    Kretiukwasking Guest

Re: Press conference midday - Eade ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Not really. In fact there may be more useful stuff to keep in Christchurch.

It's likely that at season's end we will lose Hall, Hudson, Ward, and Cooney and Morris will never be the same.

It's quite possible that we could also lose Wood and Lake may either want to leave or never be the same.

Williams never seems able to last a season. Our other senior ruckman plays in the VFL and the understudy isn't ready to be #1.

Looks to me we are missing about half a midfield NB outside players, half a forward line, the ruck division and up to half the back line.

Other than that, all we need is a refresh.
    Wood signed for three years on Friday i am told

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kretiukwasking View Post
    Wood signed for three years on Friday i am told
    Whoohoo! A bit of good news at last!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    IMO we had a better list than the Saints, but they were better coached.
    Therein lies the problem with Dogs supporters, we overrate our players. Saints were 20-2 that season and smashed us twice in H&A - they were far better than us. Eade coached the pants off Lyon that night, and IMO he did to Thompson in the 2008 PF as well. You don't just rock up and beat teams with 21-1 or 20-2 records in a cutthroat final for fun, particularly after being smashed by the same teams earlier in those seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Therein lies the problem with Dogs supporters, we overrate our players. Saints were 20-2 that season and smashed us twice in H&A - they were far better than us. Eade coached the pants off Lyon that night, and IMO he did to Thompson in the 2008 PF as well. You don't just rock up and beat teams with 21-1 or 20-2 records in a cutthroat final for fun, particularly after being smashed by the same teams earlier in those seasons.
    Sedat, hit the nail on the head.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to agree to disagree with you(and others) as to me Eade is the one being overrated. Our list in the 2008-2010 period was as good as we have every had IMO.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to agree to disagree with you(and others) as to me Eade is the one being overrated. Our list in the 2008-2010 period was as good as we have every had IMO.
    The list hasn't been managed well for the last 3 seasons and it isn't as healthy as our performances during this period would indicate. It's currently slow and a bit too old and that didn't just happen within a year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The list hasn't been managed well for the last 3 seasons and it isn't as healthy as our performances during this period would indicate. It's currently slow and a bit too old and that didn't just happen within a year.
    I agree, we had a very mature list in that time period but our drafting has left a lot to be desired and we have quite a few holes now on our list. Plus the form/injury/loss of Cooney, Lake, Gilbee, Hargrave, Harbrow, Hudson etc hasn't helped.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

But even more of us overrate our coach.

Post Thanks / Like

We weren't the favorites going into all 3 prelims, in fact against the saints last season we limped into the preliminary final due to the number of injuries as well as playing ageing stars who were passed it.
    Last edited by Desipura; 21-08-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree, Sedat. And in 2011, it couldn't be sustained because the constant turnover of players, for whatever reason, meant that structures weren't adhered to as we would have expected.

It does raise the question, though, of why we went away from our structures rather too frequently, and played some very poor quarters and halves of football over the last 2 years. Obviously some replacements lacked experience, endurance and skill. You would think that if the whole list had done the training until the forward press, for example, was so ingrained, forced personnel changes may not have cost us quite so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, I head out bush for a week and Eade gets the chop.

If Fantasia signs Rhode, I'm heading out for another week
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quite possibly it was but it was never ever the best list in the comp. In fact it was never the 2nd best list in the comp. You mention plodders that the Saints have but seem to forget the amount of list cloggers we had on the list. Look again at that 22 for the prelim final and match up plodder with plodder and then A grader with A grader. We don't fare well with either count.