Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Rocket

I'm shattered at the decision the club took today & am dumbfounded when listening to the press conference. There doesn't seem a clear reason why, well, none was appropriately conveyed any way.

I remember being excited 7 years ago when Rocket was announced as our coach.

A number of us on this forum have gotten to know Rocket quite well over the past few years to the degree that some of us attended the National Draft, regularly went out to dinner with him & could ring him with queries at any time, whether it be about training times, selection or injuries. he was so giving of his time & all of us on WOOF should be thankful for that.

Last year I was sick & in hospital. Rocket was happy to rig & see how I was going & keep me informed on what was happening during trade week.

A couple of years ago my son turned 11. After tea the phone rang & it was Rocket wishing him a Happy Birthday. Its something he'll never forget.

I really think the club has made an awful decision today.

Rocket, thank you for everything you did whilst coaching the Western Bulldogs!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank You Rocket

I agree wholeheartedly thank you so much Rocket I hope you come back one day in maybe another capacity, you will always be welcome by the fans and I have no doubt you will get an ovation from us in your final games.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely devastated by the decision ... My trip to the Western Oval for my 40th birthday is one that I will always remember. Having a personal tour of the new facilities by Rocket ... very memorable.

I have seen a lot of coaches come and go in my time as a Bulldog supporter; I have never felt so gutted as I do right now.

Easily the best coach ... W-L record, tactically, and supporter-friendly in my time.

As much as I admire Smorgon and what he has done for our club, I really have to question the logic in this decision.

Thanks Rocket for all your efforts for our club ... you will be missed
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket's willingness to interact with the fans was certainly a highlight of his tenure with us. We've had a period of success over the past few years that most of us have never encountered before. Sure it didn't result in a GF and I'm sure Rocket more than most of us wish it had.
    Like TCD the lack of appropriate reasoning given in the presser is disappointing. Thanks Rocket for all you've done to take us from the position we were in 7 years ago. The best coach we've had.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

I would write something well thought and meaningful but I am too shattered to think of anything worthy at the moment.

Unless we secure a Malthouse or another top-line coach, this is a DISGRACE!

Post Thanks / Like

He did wonders for us. I thought he deserved the chance to rebuild our list!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Thank You Rocket

Beautifully put TCD. Quality coach and quality bloke. I'm in Sydney for work today so missed the presser. Safe to say I am dismayed by the actions of our board, CEO and president today. Mission accomplished, Fantasia.

Post Thanks / Like

Two years ago Rocket read on BF that my trip to Melbourne had to be cut short and that I wouldn't be able to attend any matches. He did know that I planned on going to training the week I was in Melbourne so contacted TCD to let me know that he wanted to see me. As it happened TCD was at training that day and I did see Rocket. We talked after training and he gave me a grand tour of the new facilities. He couldn't have been more hospitable. It was one day I will never forget. With American managers/coaches mostly off limits to the ordinary fan, Rocket's gesture absolutely floored me. I was on top of the world after my grand tour.

Last year during my visit I presented Rocket with a Chicago Cubs baseball cap. I found out that he wore it to a Hawks match(I believe it was) that he went to prior to us playing them. Apparently he was shown on TV with the cap on. I mentioned that to David Smorgon when I ran into him at the club later that week and he told me that he had seen it. He didn't seem too pleased that Rocket didn't have the official Bulldogs/Mission cap on like he really should have, but I was absolutely thrilled!

This year I spoke to Rocket a few times after training. He couldn't have been nicer and made me feel so welcome that I'll never forget it. I'm going to be 59 years old in two weeks and here I am at my computer late at night with tears in my eyes.

Some of you know about my reason for being here in the states, so my visits to Melbourne keep me going while I remain here indefinitely. Rocket made my last three visits ones that I will always remember.

As I said in another post, Rodney Eade has a fan forever on this side of the world. I wish him all the best for the future which I hope will be winning, well, except for when his team plays us.

Thank you, Rocket, from the bottom of my heart.

Jim
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

His willingness to communicate with supporters, his demeanor through the press conference and the general manner in which he carries himself in interviews etc suggest that Rocket is a thoroughly decent man who didn't deserve to have his tenure to finish in this way.

I hope he picks up one of the coaching jobs on offer so that his career, in what he loves doing, can continue.

Post Thanks / Like

I met the guy and he was great. During the late 90's Wallace became my favourite coach but Rodney has surpassed him in every way in my mind.

We will see the benefits from his tenure for some time to come.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the pleasure of meeting Rocket at the East West family day earlier this year (thanks to The Coon Dog) He was just lovely, happy to have a chat with me about my mutual love for the Bulldogs & Melbourne Storm, and how I came to be a Bulldogs supporter at a young age whilst living in the Eastern suburbs. Good luck for your future, you will be greatly missed Rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Rodney for everything you have done for our club. I am very disappointed that you're going, but want to wish you all the best for your future endeavours.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Have we let the media dictate our actions to us?

Who cares if we didn't meet the "pass-mark" this year set by Smorgo. The media can beat it up as they like, but surely we internally know we've been hammered by injuries, our good experienced players have stagnated and have played many players without many games to their names.

We STICK BEHIND our people regardless of the decisions the media expect us to take. Who gives a stuff if it looks like we're not upholding our expectation? We were half a chance to bound back hard next year, or continue developing at a rapid pace.

Rocket was one of us!! His ability to extract the best out of average players is fantastic. We have/had a LOT of average players when we were successful.

I hope the club knows what they are doing, I am shattered at the moment, AFL football is slipping away from me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally shattered. I remember waiting for the boys to come home off the plane from the Eagles final belting in 06, and although he would have had a million things to coordinate and organise, Rocket stood with my mother for a solid 15-20 minutes discussing where he thought we were, his plans for the next season, etc. She let him know her thoughts (nicely of course!) and he nodded and just took it all on board.

He made her feel like he really cared about what she thought. Some random supporter at the airport. My mum is a 4th-gen Bulldog and she was floored, and has totally loved him ever since.

It's a massive loss for our club. I can see Lake and Ward perhaps committing elsewhere as a result of this decision and I think the board is going to be trying to calm the angry mob for quite some years yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Rodney,

Thank you very much, thanks for everything you have done for us.

You bled swans blood up in Sydney, you have now chewed on the same bone with us in Doggyland.

You took the time and effort to fit in, to be one of us, you treated us all the same, from the top $ donating supporters right down to us grass roots supporters.

Thank you for everything you have done, those moments when the world seemed against us, you were there and you proved them wrong, you made the football world stand up and take notice, you made the mighty bulldogs FEARED, you made opposition supporters say, "jeez those dogs will give us a belting", you even managed to sneak in some minor silverware.

Rodney, thank you, you earned my respect, its just a shame we couldn't show you the same in your departure.

Good luck in the future we're behind you no matter where you end up.