Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank You Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Eade made comments during a game, in a private coaches box about a players game play and ability, which were then digitally manipulated (looped).
    Makes it seem worse than it is.

Anyway, not sure why people are up in arms about this from 10 years ago.

Coaches have changed now, but I bet there has been a lot worse said in the coaches box over 10 years ago.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Makes it seem worse than it is.

Anyway, not sure why people are up in arms about this from 10 years ago.

Coaches have changed now, but I bet there has been a lot worse said in the coaches box over 10 years ago.
    TV camera went to Bevo a number of times on Saturday. I'm no lipreader but I don't think he was saying "Oh dear. What a rotten bit of luck" 😂
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

4. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, not even close. McGuire publicly belittled a disabled person before disingenuously claiming he didn't know who she was. Eade made comments during a game, in a private coaches box about a players game play and ability, which were then digitally manipulated (looped).

Despicable? Nope. The question needs to be asked about how and why it was recorded in the first place. I'd bet money that plenty of coaches past and present tee off at players like that.
    And that makes it right? It's a disgusting language to use against a colleague. I can't imagine too many work places accepting it.

To each their own though.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    And that makes it right? It's a disgusting language to use against a colleague. I can't imagine too many work places accepting it.

To each their own though.
    Not many workplaces are the same as a professional sports team. You can't compare it to, say, an office job. I don't know of many people who haven't mouthed off about colleagues (me included). Passion will make you say things you mightn't normally. So will incompetent colleagues.

Anyhoo, it was 10 years ago. Time to move on.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not many workplaces are the same as a professional sports team. You can't compare it to, say, an office job. I don't know of many people who haven't mouthed off about colleagues (me included). Passion will make you say things you mightn't normally. So will incompetent colleagues.

Anyhoo, it was 10 years ago. Time to move on.
    Also society has changed and we don't speak like that anymore, so we can't judge things that happened 10 years ago with today's morals and political correctness.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if I would trust his word now but Rocket should apologise to Minson and the wider audience for his appalling comments and the fact that he originally denied saying it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure he needs to apologise for anything to be honest. It happened ten years ago and there's no point in apologising if he isn't sorry in the first place.

It should be embarrassing for him, irrespective of whether the poor comments were looped it just shows how he wasn't able to control himself at times and leads some to conclude if he was, he'd have possibly been able to think his way through in game situations a little more coherently and possibly have more success.

Having said that, there are genuinely people who release the valve and get back on the job and perform well anyway. To me this is a situation to have an ironic laugh at, and move on.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The surprise is, from things I've read, the journo's have forgotten that when he was coach at Sydney and was running down to the ground at a 1/4 or 3/4 time break, a senior copper stopped him then asked him stop screaming obscenities (open windowed coaches box) within ear shot of the crowd and that he wasn't immune from action. They missed a shot to say 'NSW police spoke to Eade about his abuse and swearing behaviour when Sydney coach'.

Ah well, the story is dead now. I bet when this thread was started, we didn't think it would end like this!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure if I would trust his word now but Rocket should apologise to Minson and the wider audience for his appalling comments and the fact that he originally denied saying it.
    Rocket did say he is in regular contact with Minson.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s white line fever , go off while in the moment, I bet him and Minson are okay, what happens on the field stays on the field, that was my experience in all sports , once the games over you were mates.
    Minson survived under Eade so he couldn’t have been that bad.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall, there was a bit of fallout after Eade's 'smartest dumb bloke' (or 'dumbest smart bloke'? Can't remember) remark at the time. Mind you, that was off-field, maybe that was the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think a sociologist would politely refer to this as a 'reversion to the mean' behaviour.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    To be fair that was a few days after falling over the line against last on the ladder, which was following on from missing the finals for the first time in 23 years in his first season as coach, and threats of a mass player walk out if the club brought him back this year.

I think the approach of "the abuse will continue until moral improves" looks a winner. Well except obviously for the player who decided to record and release the abuse to the public to give people an idea of what they have to put up with. He's probably not quite as on board, so I'd suggest he needs a really personal abuse session to turn his attitude around.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    To be fair that was a few days after falling over the line against last on the ladder, which was following on from missing the finals for the first time in 23 years in his first season as coach, and threats of a mass player walk out if the club brought him back this year.

I think the approach of "the abuse will continue until moral improves" looks a winner. Well except obviously for the player who decided to record and release the abuse to the public to give people an idea of what they have to put up with. He's probably not quite as on board, so I'd suggest he needs a really personal abuse session to turn his attitude around.
    That was a normal coach back in the 80s when I was playing.
    Wasn’t called “Rocket” for nothing.
    In all of this though he must have been a decent coach he got teams to pre Lims.
    Bring back the biff