Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank You Rocket

It's a sign of the respect in which Rocket is held that there are threads like this even though this year has been so disappointing. Like others here I've found him to be an approachable, genuine, humorous man. I can't imagine any replacement that will lessen my sense that we now have a grim few years ahead of us. Thanks Rodney.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ride Rocket, it was sensational. You were great for the club and I'll never forget everything you did with limited resources. That time you bought the NAB cup to dinner for us to hold is the happiest football memory I have.

I really, truly hope you win a flag at whichever club is lucky to gain your services next. I'll have a smile on face when you hold the cup up.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket,

You were the coaching appointment that really cemented the upward momentum of the Smorgon/Rose era after the debacle of Terry leaving and the Rohde years. It was then, along with the development of our facilities, that the club's actions started to match its rhetoric. We truly started to feel like a 'big club' once when you stepped in the door, accepting our offer over several others, bringing your reputation for being one of the best tactical minds in the game with you, and clearly having learnt from your stint in Sydney and being very deliberate about the 'people' side of the game -- connecting with players, administrators, and most of all, the ordinary fan (on which the game is built, after all). It was under your reign that the club became powerful enough on the field to attract players like Aker and Barry Hall, and we enjoyed our most successful period ever, becoming one of the 'top clubs' in the competition, to the point that everyone was (ironically enough, considering the pressure it ended up putting on you) happy to have us as a premiership favourite this year, the first time that has happened in my living memory.

I feel your disappointment at not being able to continue the stellar job you've already done this year bringing a whole bunch of younger blokes through, some who will be absolute superstars (hopefully for the Dogs, although in the era of free agency, who knows). I feel that we haven't been that far away at times this year (despite the W-L ledger), and thought that with some prudent decisions over the summer and a stronger backroom staff, we would be able to build a solid platform for another tilt in a few years. I have no such confidence now.

I had hoped that you would have the rest of your career as coach with us -- we have never been known for anything other than being the battling club with a solitary flag from a prehistoric era, and I thought we truly had the opportunity to build a reputation for stability and constant quality, regardless of actual flags, with you at the helm over the next five, ten, fifteen years. A club that was professional, competitive, regularly played finals, with a clear on-field identity and style and ethos was more important to me than simply rolling the dice every five or so years and gambling on a new coach -- we only need to look at Richmond to see how well that works out. I thought we had the opportunity to build a stable club that would work with its high-profile, highly respected and popular (and very good!) coach to really promote and expand its brand into new markets and opportunities, as Sheeds did with Essendon.

Unfortunately, I fear that you've copped the brunt for being the only true 'football' person among the powerbrokers of the club -- none of Garlick, Fantasia, Smorgon et al understand the ins and outs of coaching or list management, none of them really understand recruitment and development, and certainly none of them understand the evolution of the game over the last ten years the way you do. There were other agendas at play, and you've been the fall guy -- but you can be proud that, as was said in the presser, our win-to-football-department-dollars-spent record would be far and away the best of any club over the last 5 years.

Pragmatism and realism would suggest that you did as well as could be hoped with what you had, and but for some luck here and there would probably have achieved even more. It's not as if you leave us after years of underachievement (just the opposite, in fact) -- however, the Football Gods who are so often cruel to the Bulldogs have seen fit to ensure that the one year where lightning has struck our list was also the last year of your contract. I don't remember another coach 'sacked' midseason who still had the faith of such a large majority of a club's supporters and members. I wish you all the best, and know that you will be a success wherever else life takes you, and can only hope that our next coach has half the capacity to learn and grow and teach young men about life as well as you have. I will continue to watch your performance as coach (as long as you're not playing the Dogs!) or in the media with great interest and affection.

Au revoir, Rocket. It was a blast while it lasted.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 17-08-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: words here and there

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^

Well said Lantern. You got my heart pumping.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully put Lantern. That's exactly how I feel about Rocket. I wish I'd said that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
    ... I just replied to the email that David Smorgon sent to us members...
    Good idea Chicago - I've just done the same. Not happy at all with the decision to let Eade go.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, Lantern.

However, I do object to "a solitary flag from a prehistoric era". I was two in 1954.

47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for putting into words just what I have been thinking Lantern. It's kind of hard to digest that Rocket won't be around the club next year...... He has been fantastic for this club I love, and I thank him dearly for all he has done. Good luck for the future Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsBulldog View Post
    Good idea Chicago - I've just done the same. Not happy at all with the decision to let Eade go.
    My reply to the email bounced back, so I sent it to the godogs@westernbulldogs.com.au address. I received a reply a little while ago that it was received.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, Lantern.

However, I do object to "a solitary flag from a prehistoric era". I was two in 1954.

Haha -- sorry. Worried about it for a bit, but wanted some bang in the words, and I do think that's how most people think of our only flag.. especially in this day and age of the 24 hour news cycle where whatever happened last week is now ancient history, and Gen Ys think that you're old if you've ever sent a letter through the post or own CDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Haha -- sorry. Worried about it for a bit, but wanted some bang in the words, and I do think that's how most people think of our only flag.. especially in this day and age of the 24 hour news cycle where whatever happened last week is now ancient history, and Gen Ys think that you're old if you've ever sent a letter through the post.
    Love the Gen Y statement - I wasn't born when we one our flag just missed it by a couple of years, so I know about those youngsters thinking I am "prehistoric"! I figure age is just a number and a state of mind though!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering how all the players are feeling today, given how many of us are feeling? Was down at the Pound this afternoon for a late lunch and saw a few of the players - Callan Ward and Lindsay Gilbee came and sat near us and I must admit, they both looked pretty down in the mouth - shell-shocked even. I wonder if there are some players who might now look to go elsewhere because Rocket is not the coach? Do players care?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    Just wondering how all the players are feeling today, given how many of us are feeling? Was down at the Pound this afternoon for a late lunch and saw a few of the players - Callan Ward and Lindsay Gilbee came and sat near us and I must admit, they both looked pretty down in the mouth - shell-shocked even. I wonder if there are some players who might now look to go elsewhere because Rocket is not the coach? Do players care?
    Yeah I hope Ward doesn't now say goodbye.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not happy about the clubs choice to stand Rocket down but it has happened. I would like the thank Rocket for everything that he has done to our club both on and off the field. I think he made the club more professonal and resepected in the footy world.

Once again THANK YOU ROCKET all the best!

Post Thanks / Like

My reply to the email bounced back, so I sent it to the godogs@westernbulldogs.com.au address. I received a reply a little while ago that it was received.
    Thanks Chicago - yep got the bounce back as well. All good now.

Lantern - I applauded after reading your post. Beautifully put.

I'm so fed up now. Off to eat a tub of icecream ...