Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank You Rocket

Rocket - Anyone who knows anything about footy knows you've done great things with a club coming from a long way behind the opposition.
    Thanks for being a real clubman. One of the most likeable coaches in the AFL secondly, but firstly, an outstanding coach. Your record - all things considered - with us has been very good.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocket, you have been a great asset to our club and were so close to getting us over that final hurdle and into a grannie. All the best with your future endeavours

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Nice one!

Aside from what's already been said, thanks to Rocket for the 2009 prelim. The most pulsating, exciting game I've ever seen, and his coaching was magnificent that night.

So, so close.

I'm not keen to eulogise him too much. I hope he has great success elsewhere, I certainly won't begrudge him that.
    My one solid memory of that game — Gia running towards goal, I'm on my knees in the Cheer Squad screaming “GO GO GO GO” and totally bawling my eyes out, veins popping out of my neck, hands to the heavens, never felt so alive at the footy in my life. Sure, he missed, Roo goaled and I cried a lot more, but it was just so fantastic to experience the sheer thrill and it was all thanks to Rocket. Disappointed we didn't win for him what he deserved, and I hope his next club does. (As long as they don't beat us to do it)

So that's what I'm going to remember when I look back at Rocket's years with us. The sheer thrill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hughy31 View Post
    Thank him from me TCD and tell him he is another part of history of the 17 August
    Elvis left the building.. 17 here
    Azaria was taken by the dingo
    Clinton caught with his pants down
    The great E.J died.. sad day
    God as if the day wasn't hard enough I didn't realise the others apart from Elvis' passing.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket, you have handled yourself brilliantly from day one. It was a great feeling going to the football the last 3 seasons in particular knowing we always had a chance of wining.

One day I hope to be able to tell you this in person.

Much respect to the way you handled yourself today.

All the best to you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Elvis went on the 16th didn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocket.

You're heart was always in it mate and you believed to the end when others didn't.

You're a bloody champion mate. Thanks for the memories.

All the best.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the great image of Rocket showing Andrew Demetriou a clean pair of heels

http://www.theage.com.au/photogaller...electedImage=1

Some great memories
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

As many are, I'm shattered that Rocket's tenure has ended, and particularly in the manner it did. To avoid getting the thread mired in vitriol, I'll try and keep to my positive thoughts of Rocket's time at the helm. When I heard Rocket had been appointed as our new coach, I was really happy, straight away I got the feeling we'd snagged a top-liner, even if his Sydney time didn't end happily. What he did with the resources at his disposal, was just sensational. After being at the arse-end of the ladder, we'd start to make some leaps forward, and that was exciting. After not attending in person for many years (long story!), I went to a Dogs v St Kilda game ('07 maybe?) which ended in a draw. I was hooked after that, and boy, what a time to come back! Rocket led the side through an exhilirating time - a time when, for once, our club was admired, respected and, for a time, we were "the hunted".

Some of my other fond recollections, like a number of WOOF posters, are the personal touches. I went to the family day in '08, and 'boldly' (well, I thought I was being bold!) approached Rocket for a chat, autograph and pic. He was only too happy to give some time. Not only did he respond to questions, but also made the effort to find out where I'd travelled from, and thanked me for coming on the day. Sure, he probably says that to everyone, but what sets him apart is that you genuinely feel he's interested. When someone pushed in to grab an autograph, he said very diplomatically, "You'll have to wait, I'm speaking to someone here" I said g'day at the 2010 East West day, and he said "Nice to see you again, thanks for coming". To me, I got the feeling he was really passionate about our CLUB, not just the team.

I also have been very impressed with the care he's shown the players. Pics of him embracing them in the rooms, his support of Griff and Gilbs when they lost their fathers, the way he's gone into bat for people like Baz.
    Rocket, it's a sad day for many of us, and I only hope that whatever the next chapter holds, that you achieve the success you so richly deserve. My money's on him heading to Melbourne, and despite not giving a hoot about other clubs usually, I would love Rocket to see the ultimate success - hell, Casey Fields is only ten minutes from me, I'll drop in to say G'day to him again.

All the very best Rocket, you'll be sorely missed.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't seem to make any sense to end Rocket's contract, and the message from Dave didn't make much sense either. Didn't give any valid reasons for terminating the coach.
    All the best for the future Rocket. You have been wonderful at the Doggies and we have really appreciated your efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocket.

I won't bother going over old ground, because the posts before mine have nailed it ... but you are a victim here - at least it seems that way early on.

Good Luck in the future, I actually hope you coach another side to a premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    As many are, I'm shattered that Rocket's tenure has ended, and particularly in the manner it did.
    I know what you meant but, whilst he has been sacked and ended in that sense, he still has three games to go. I think at least from a supporter and player point of view he can really go out in a positive way.

I was at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the Premier League in 2004 when Claudio Ranieri served his last match as manager after being sacked. He was seemingly loved by the fans/players and there was similar sentiments to what is being felt for Rocket.

At that game 50,000 people rose as one and were singing "There's only one Ranieri" (to the Guantanamera or "Munch on Munchero" tune). I am not a Chelsea fan and could not have cared less (I was secretly hoping the relegation bound Leeds would win that day) but it was very powerful.

So if he makes it to the Fremantle game lets hope he goes out on a high with a win and gets a rousing reception for all the great work he has done for our club. That will be the type of sendoff he deserves, not a vague press conference where few answers were given.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Elvis went on the 16th didn't he?
    16th here in the states, 17th in Australia

However, Republican Presidential candidate Michele Bachmann asked a crowd in South Carolina yesterday during a campaign stop to wish Elvis a happy birthday.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I know what you meant but, whilst he has been sacked and ended in that sense, he still has three games to go. I think at least from a supporter and player point of view he can really go out in a positive way.

I was at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the Premier League in 2004 when Claudio Ranieri served his last match as manager after being sacked. He was seemingly loved by the fans/players and there was similar sentiments to what is being felt for Rocket.

At that game 50,000 people rose as one and were singing "There's only one Ranieri" (to the Guantanamera or "Munch on Munchero" tune). I am not a Chelsea fan and could not have cared less (I was secretly hoping the relegation bound Leeds would win that day) but it was very powerful.

So if he makes it to the Fremantle game lets hope he goes out on a high with a win and gets a rousing reception for all the great work he has done for our club. That will be the type of sendoff he deserves, not a vague press conference where few answers were given.
    Can I just say he wasnt sacked, his contract was finished.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Just heard that he's decided not to coach out the season, although reports are not clear if he'll still take the Port game.. some are saying no, some are saying yes. I think not.