Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

German eyes Bulldogs job

Brent Diamond - The Age - August 20

WILLIAMSTOWN coach Peter German says he'd be "really interested" in taking on the Western Bulldogs' coaching position after being involved in the game as an assistant and a coach for 17 years.

German, the Bulldogs' development coach, has taken the Seagulls to be the premier state league team in the country in winning the Foxtel Cup this season, as well as holding second spot behind Port Melbourne in the VFL this season.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

German was adamant that clubs were ''smart enough" to look outside the square of assistant coaches for the top position. He was hopeful state league coaches would also be in the mix. "It's an interesting one. I think for whatever reason, assistant coaches seem to get a good look in over the journey,'' German said. ''But at the end of the day, I think clubs are smart enough now to really work out who they want so it can help them head in the direction that they want to head in.''

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: German eyes Bulldogs job

Whats everyone's view on him? I don't quite see him as a senior coach but he would know the list better than most other candidates. I think who ever gets the job should look long and hard at having Peter German as the senior assistant.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Whats everyone's view on him? I don't quite see him as a senior coach but he would know the list better than most other candidates. I think who ever gets the job should look long and hard at having Peter German as the senior assistant.
    Agreed. He's an impressive communicator and seems to demand the respect of his playing group.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the impression from what I have seen of him on TV is that he has a sense of humor along the lines of maybe Rocket, gives the impression you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side as you may get a old fashion spray.

Could be a Rocket clone in some ways as personalities goes, just depends on he's idea of coaching style, has experience and maybe good for developing a young squad.

I'd be neutral if he got the job.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Refer my previous posts about him. I'm beginning to be a bit of a broken record. He deserves a shot and good things seem to follow that man when he is at the helm of a club. Not just team wise but club wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really know much about him, other than he can yell quite loudly in the huddle.

On face value he seems like someone who is quite demanding, especially for a development coach. My question would be, is his style going to assist communication and mentoring of younger players who have different needs now than they did 10+ years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not really sure on whether he is articulate enough, seems a bit of an old fashioned style but saying that he is coach of practically an AFL side anyway so he must be doing something right.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    On face value he seems like someone who is quite demanding, especially for a development coach. My question would be, is his style going to assist communication and mentoring of younger players who have different needs now than they did 10+ years ago.
    Seems like a bit of a confused question to me. He's succeeding as a coach at VFL level, which is full of younger players - surely that is his trump card amongst other candidates and not his weakness?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I am not really sure on whether he is articulate enough, seems a bit of an old fashioned style but saying that he is coach of practically an AFL side anyway so he must be doing something right.
    Are Malthouse, Thompson, Eade & Clarkson old fashioned too?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

There is a big difference between VFL and AFL, so my question is can German handle modern style footy?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good take on it

I dont think he's the ideal senior coach for us at this stage, but he'd be a terrific assistant, and has inside knowledge, but would also be enough of a fresh voice

Very experienced coach in so many environments, and should have enough confidence to disagree and challenge an incoming senior coach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Seems like a bit of a confused question to me. He's succeeding as a coach at VFL level, which is full of younger players - surely that is his trump card amongst other candidates and not his weakness?
    I get that, and the fact he is our development manager would also tend to indicate his strength is working with younger players. As I mentioned, I don't know enough about him to do anything other than speculate - he could be exactly what we need.

I'm just not convinced his style (my limited perception of it at least) is one conducive to developing a young squad. He might however be the more demanding type of guy that could be better utilised in a more hands on role as an assistant, rather than a development manager.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the difference between him and Cameron.

Hiring someone who has a relationship to the club is a bad thing when we're talking about Leon, but if we hire German he has a great knowledge of the list?

I think opinions of him are inflated because some of us have had the opportunity to see him in the huddle.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The big problem I have with German is that Williamstown plays 2009 football. It's all run and gun through the middle. Can an AFL side really play this way in 2012?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    The big problem I have with German is that Williamstown plays 2009 football. It's all run and gun through the middle. Can an AFL side really play this way in 2012?
    I guess we'll find out if Eade gets a job next year.
    The curse is dead.