Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: German eyes Bulldogs job

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I get that, and the fact he is our development manager would also tend to indicate his strength is working with younger players. As I mentioned, I don't know enough about him to do anything other than speculate - he could be exactly what we need.

I'm just not convinced his style (my limited perception of it at least) is one conducive to developing a young squad. He might however be the more demanding type of guy that could be better utilised in a more hands on role as an assistant, rather than a development manager.
    Again you're coming back to knocking him based on his ability to work with younger players. German to me is a good option if we decide to really cut into the list - I'm talking Melbourne style, 5 players over 25 left. He could be the man to mould the group to challenge again in 3-5 years time.

If we want to take a more natural approach i.e. whilst Hudson, Hall etc. are gone we continue to retain and play the best available, then that is where I see German as behind those who have had senior or assistant coaching experience at AFL level
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

neddie Guest

Smile Re: German eyes Bulldogs job

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Agreed. He's an impressive communicator and seems to demand the respect of his playing group.
    His record is impressive,must be in the mix.He's got my vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There is a big difference between VFL and AFL, so my question is can German handle modern style footy?
    Agree with this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Again you're coming back to knocking him based on his ability to work with younger players. German to me is a good option if we decide to really cut into the list - I'm talking Melbourne style, 5 players over 25 left. He could be the man to mould the group to challenge again in 3-5 years time.
    But we are already re-signing these older players.

Which poses the question, should we be waiting until a new coach is signed before we re-sign players who are older than say 27 or 28?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But we are already re-signing these older players.

Which poses the question, should we be waiting until a new coach is signed before we re-sign players who are older than say 27 or 28?
    Who have we resigned? Personally I think all list decisions should wait till the new coach is on board in regards to the 27 plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Who have we resigned? Personally I think all list decisions should wait till the new coach is on board in regards to the 27 plus.
    Murphy has agreed to terms for 2 more years.

Next on list to re-sign are Boyd, Cross & Gia... read here

Post Thanks / Like

Murphy has agreed to terms for 2 more years.

Next on list to re-sign are Boyd, Cross & Gia... read here
    Thanks Mantis. What is your view?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Thanks Mantis. What is your view?
    I would be waiting until a new coach is signed before deciding what happens next... but seeing as though Smorgon and co. believe we need a refresh rather than a rebuild I guess they will continue to re-sign these players.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be waiting until a new coach is signed before deciding what happens next... but seeing as though Smorgon and co. believe we need a refresh rather than a rebuild I guess they will continue to re-sign these players.
    In saying that Mantis its not hard to figure out which ones are certainties to keep.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    In saying that Mantis its not hard to figure out which ones are certainties to keep.
    Which ones are those?

Post Thanks / Like

Which ones are those?
    Well, based on this year Murph deserves 2 years (I understand the concerns regarding his longevity, but surely we have intimate knowledge of this too). Gia has been alright, but would be trying to make him a yearly proposition. Boyd and Cross are also both certainties for the shorter term. Not sure what the issue is with re-signing those guys?

It's obvious the committee will be searching for a coach to 're-fresh' so on that basis, one would assume it's someone who will have faith in these sort of players do not drop away, or in some cases, not significantly.

Post Thanks / Like

If we want to take a more natural approach i.e. whilst Hudson, Hall etc. are gone we continue to retain and play the best available, then that is where I see German as behind those who have had senior or assistant coaching experience at AFL level
    Fair enough, sounds like you know quite a bit about him and his strengths so I'm happy to concede.

Certainly wasn't trying to knock him. The results speak loud and clear and he obviously knows what he's doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be waiting until a new coach is signed before deciding what happens next...
    Agreed, they're really tying the new coaches hands behind his back by doing it now.

Well, based on this year Murph deserves 2 years (I understand the concerns regarding his longevity, but surely we have intimate knowledge of this too). Gia has been alright, but would be trying to make him a yearly proposition. Boyd and Cross are also both certainties for the shorter term. Not sure what the issue is with re-signing those guys?
    Because they won't be around in 3-5 years time when we are next ready to challenge if we do a full rebuild

Fair enough, sounds like you know quite a bit about him and his strengths so I'm happy to concede.
    Don't know him at all, just going from his record. It doesn't sound like they will be looking for a rebuild coach anyway, so it's a moot point.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Because they won't be around in 3-5 years time when we are next ready to challenge if we do a full rebuild

It doesn't sound like they will be looking for a rebuild coach anyway, so it's a moot point.
    I agree, it doesn't seem we'll be taking that path.

That being said, this has to be one of the reasons I'm against the total rebuild approach. Any coach who would come in and not re-sign Murph, Boyd, Gia and Cross would have to be very sure of what they're doing. Removing the back bone of experienced players who could contribute the next year (and for some, beyond) is a risky strategy.

It will be interesting to follow Port and how their list develops, given they've essentially not played the majority of their senior back bone and pumped games into the younger crop. In the least it's meant this year has been a write off, but I get the feeling they are still a few more years away from being a competitive side. By which time GC and GWS' young lists will be hitting their straps too.

Anyways, hopefully our re-fresh can work wonders, and surely there is place for German somewhere in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that the article also mentions that we are looking to re-sign Grant, Wood and particularly Stack, who many supporters seem to have written off and some outright hate (more talking about BF posters than those on here who seem quite hopeful for Stack).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right