Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

West throws his hat in the ring

Scott West on the Dogs' coaching role...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West throws his hat in the ring

The decision is that critical. For me, Not sure anyone's going to be comfortable with someone lacking so much coaching experience.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The decision is that critical. For me, Not sure anyone's going to be comfortable with someone lacking so much coaching experience.
    Yeah even West talked himself down, looking more at the experience of presenting
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Yeah even West talked himself down, looking more at the experience of presenting
    If he isn't a legit chance then why would the decision makers - whose time would be very valuable - seriously waste their time by allowing him to present?

Needs to be smarter than that.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If he isn't a legit chance then why would the decision makers - whose time would be very valuable - seriously waste their time by allowing him to present?

Because the club is strong on culture and West was an important component of that for a long time.

If he is serious he deserves nothing less than an hour of Smorgon's et al. time.

Sir, get off your high horse and have some respect for a champion of the club. We can at least give him the experience he seeks and listen to what he has to say.

He may coach this club one day.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Sir, get off your high horse and have some respect for a champion of the club. We can at least give him the experience he seeks and listen to what he has to say.

He may coach this club one day.
    Give me a break.

If he isn't a chance, we shouldn't interview him. All we are doing is helping prepare him to coach another club.

Respect for a champion of the club? I have tonnes of that - I am not sure what precisely that has to do with my comments. I always hated the 'We at least have to interview person x' culture that permeates corporate life - it was all about 'keeping people onside' and 'showing respect' and every other cliche under the sun. But what respect are you really showing if you are simply going through the motions? In a large corporate, I accept that maybe you really are preparing them for the 'next job' that comes along (in some cases) - but generally that job is also internal! In this case, we are preparing him for someone else...I simply don't see the point.

My original comments were directed towards West's approach though. Why wouldn't he say 'As a 300-game player who has been involved in full-time coaching for 2 seasons now, I believe I have all of the requisite experience NOW and the Bulldogs are the club I want to coach. Sure, maybe a couple of more years on my apprenticeship would look great on my resume - but I am ready right now and I want the job'. Why not go after the job with everything he has rather than express a couple of 'maybes' and 'hopes'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I see no problem with him presenting. Scott West is worth the time, if it helps him in his coaching career then fantastic, he's earnt the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I see no problem with him presenting. Scott West is worth the time, if it helps him in his coaching career then fantastic, he's earnt the help.
    Can't he get the experience at his current employer?

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for that 1eyedog.

My persective remains unchanged though: If it is a legitimate interview - interview him. If it is going through the motions just because of his status at the club - don't waste everyones time. And for what it is worth, my comments about corporates were used as an example of 'lip service' interviews to 'keep people onside' whereas you seem to be saying that we should operate in the same way in a footy environment...I would like to think we would be a little bit more honest than that.

All of that said, you are saying that West is a legitimate candidate - great. I honestly have no idea - I have seen him present once (Coaches conference this year - midfield strategies) and really don't have an opinion on him either way (the fire alarm was rung half-way through his presso and we were all evacuated never to return!). Reading his comments though, HE didn't seem to think he was a realistic candidate at this stage which turned me off.