Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

West throws his hat in the ring

Scott West on the Dogs' coaching role...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West throws his hat in the ring

The decision is that critical. For me, Not sure anyone's going to be comfortable with someone lacking so much coaching experience.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The decision is that critical. For me, Not sure anyone's going to be comfortable with someone lacking so much coaching experience.
    Yeah even West talked himself down, looking more at the experience of presenting
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Yeah even West talked himself down, looking more at the experience of presenting
    If he isn't a legit chance then why would the decision makers - whose time would be very valuable - seriously waste their time by allowing him to present?

Needs to be smarter than that.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If he isn't a legit chance then why would the decision makers - whose time would be very valuable - seriously waste their time by allowing him to present?

Because the club is strong on culture and West was an important component of that for a long time.

If he is serious he deserves nothing less than an hour of Smorgon's et al. time.

Sir, get off your high horse and have some respect for a champion of the club. We can at least give him the experience he seeks and listen to what he has to say.

He may coach this club one day.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I see no problem with him presenting. Scott West is worth the time, if it helps him in his coaching career then fantastic, he's earnt the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I see no problem with him presenting. Scott West is worth the time, if it helps him in his coaching career then fantastic, he's earnt the help.
    Can't he get the experience at his current employer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Can't he present at both?

The return he will get will far outweigh any negative opinion on him not getting either job.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Can't he present at both?

The return he will get will far outweigh any negative opinion on him not getting either job.
    Beat me to it. I'm certain he'd present for the Dees as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Sir, get off your high horse and have some respect for a champion of the club. We can at least give him the experience he seeks and listen to what he has to say.

He may coach this club one day.
    Give me a break.

If he isn't a chance, we shouldn't interview him. All we are doing is helping prepare him to coach another club.

Respect for a champion of the club? I have tonnes of that - I am not sure what precisely that has to do with my comments. I always hated the 'We at least have to interview person x' culture that permeates corporate life - it was all about 'keeping people onside' and 'showing respect' and every other cliche under the sun. But what respect are you really showing if you are simply going through the motions? In a large corporate, I accept that maybe you really are preparing them for the 'next job' that comes along (in some cases) - but generally that job is also internal! In this case, we are preparing him for someone else...I simply don't see the point.

My original comments were directed towards West's approach though. Why wouldn't he say 'As a 300-game player who has been involved in full-time coaching for 2 seasons now, I believe I have all of the requisite experience NOW and the Bulldogs are the club I want to coach. Sure, maybe a couple of more years on my apprenticeship would look great on my resume - but I am ready right now and I want the job'. Why not go after the job with everything he has rather than express a couple of 'maybes' and 'hopes'.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't he say 'As a 300-game player who has been involved in full-time coaching for 2 seasons now, I believe I have all of the requisite experience NOW and the Bulldogs are the club I want to coach. Sure, maybe a couple of more years on my apprenticeship would look great on my resume - but I am ready right now and I want the job'. Why not go after the job with everything he has rather than express a couple of 'maybes' and 'hopes'.
    Agree, sounds like he is not confident with his own ability so I would discount him immediately. Williams is more confident than West.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Give me a break.

If he isn't a chance, we shouldn't interview him. All we are doing is helping prepare him to coach another club.

Respect for a champion of the club? I have tonnes of that - I am not sure what precisely that has to do with my comments. I always hated the 'We at least have to interview person x' culture that permeates corporate life - it was all about 'keeping people onside' and 'showing respect' and every other cliche under the sun. But what respect are you really showing if you are simply going through the motions? In a large corporate, I accept that maybe you really are preparing them for the 'next job' that comes along (in some cases) - but generally that job is also internal! In this case, we are preparing him for someone else...I simply don't see the point.

My original comments were directed towards West's approach though. Why wouldn't he say 'As a 300-game player who has been involved in full-time coaching for 2 seasons now, I believe I have all of the requisite experience NOW and the Bulldogs are the club I want to coach. Sure, maybe a couple of more years on my apprenticeship would look great on my resume - but I am ready right now and I want the job'. Why not go after the job with everything he has rather than express a couple of 'maybes' and 'hopes'.
    It's called loyalty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    It's called loyalty.
    Apologies, but I don't understand what you mean.

Loyalty is interviewing someone who you aren't going to appoint? I spell that a different way: 'LIP SERVICE'.

Post Thanks / Like

Give me a break.

Because he knows he is a very long shot for the role. We should interview West because while AFL clubs are certainly 'corporate' we are still a traditional football club that is seperate from corporate in terms of traditions, loyalty, player-supporter expectations and, in a general sense the connection between the club and past players. This ongoing relationship is generally built on respect, especially for past Champions who win seven BF. Sorry, this is not a cliche to me.

There is a huge emotional pull that AFL clubs have across their supporter bases, indeed, there is probably not another 'corporate' organisation like a sports team anywhere in Australia, so to marry the idea of the word 'corporate' soley with the word Bulldogs does not sit well. Maybe I'm just naive (I probably am) but if we do not uphold the respect between club champions and football clubs then how can we ever expect Ward to stay, or not to lose Griffen to free agency? In my opinion if this happens we are already lost.

Do you think it is just going through the motions to West? I doubt it. I fail to see what we are giving up by interviewing West, other than our process which is going to have zero backlash on match day. As stated, we should at least hear what West has to say, he may well coach this club for us one day and for all the above West deserves an hour of Smorgon et al. time. Who knows, we may put him on next year as midfield assistant, shouldn't we get across his philosophy? I don't think it necessarily needs to be a one way street here as I think he has a lot to offer in more ways than one. .

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies, but I don't understand what you mean.

Loyalty is interviewing someone who you aren't going to appoint? I spell that a different way: 'LIP SERVICE'.
    This.

I actually spell it 'WASTING VALUABLE TIME', or 'DISTRACTION FROM THE MAIN TASK OF LANDING A SENIOR COACH IN A COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE' or worst of all 'DOING ANOTHER CLUB'S JOB FOR THEM'.

If we want Westy in some capacity, approach him on that basis (I don't think it's a bad idea to bring him back in in some capacity) rather than compromising the already compromised process of searching for a senior coach. We're already at the back of the queue for the best available candidate, in a cut-throat environment, and we want to waste MORE time and focus by pissing around interviewing guys for the sake of it?

There are other ways to make a favourite son feel valued, and this wouldn't be it. If anything, this is PRECISELY the kind of sentimental claptrap that we as a club engage in to make up for our lack of success that more successful clubs don't bother with.