Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward talks next week

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This is the pot calling the kettle black ala the possible West interviews at the club. Loyalty at the football club is not conditional regardless of whether you are a current or past player in need.
    There's a bit of a difference between giving a former player an interview & re-negotiating an existing player's contract. Actually there's a big difference.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    There's a bit of a difference between giving a former player an interview & re-negotiating an existing player's contract. Actually there's a big difference.
    I know. But it's a matter of general principle for me, hence the username. I know it's a shortcoming but I don't see the difference as much as you or mjp.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 24-08-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

RANT WARNING!!!

To everyone saying Boyd only 'deserves' two years and Cross should only get one...do you understand why players (like Harbrow, and potentially Ward) leave clubs for an extra dollar somewhere else when in their prime?

Of course the club only want to give him two years...because in two years they will hold a complete whip-hand when it comes to his next contract. We can't have it both ways people - demanding loyalty on one hand then giving the short shrift on the other end. Boyd is skipper and might win the B&F (again), Crossy has been top 3 in the B&F since forever and will probably be top 5 again this year. Boyd is entitled to think he should get a 3 year deal...the same for Crossy with 2 years. But it would be 'irresponsible' of the club to honor these wishes...it wouldn't make smart business sense. But then, it wouldn't make smart 'business' sense for Ward to turn down the GWS millions either - but apparently he should stay out of loyalty, love of his mates and most of all, love of the club.

I get the arguments, but it seems to me that many of us say it is or isn't a business depending on the situation...if you believe the club is right in limiting the offers to Boyd and Cross, then to me that is the same as encouraging Ward to bolt for the cash now.
    Amen. I'm as sick of hearing idiots rave about how "poor" Cross has been as I am of hearing the Gia-bagging idiots. The man gives 100% every week. EVERY week I sit and shake my head at just how awesome his intensity is. He deserves our total commitment back.

If he takes a massive nose-dive in ability and impact next year, I'll eat my words, but importantly the club needs to show some loyalty, especially now we're “refreshing” and players will be tempted to go chase some flags. It's a totally different climate in our club now than the previous few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Adelaide thought this was a great idea, until we took Hudson and Welsh off them
    Exactly. Contracts are double-edged blades.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody ever doubts The Daniel Cross effort. His output has been down this season, that's a fact.The fact that he's 30, with Libba and Wallis looking over his shadow means he'd probably get a 1 year deal. The club's got a salary cap and TPP to consider and the Future to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Nobody ever doubts The Daniel Cross effort. His output has been down this season, that's a fact.The fact that he's 30, with Libba and Wallis looking over his shadow means he'd probably get a 1 year deal.
    He's 28

I'm comfortable with 3 years to Boyd & 2 years to Cross - they've been good to us and are some of the hardest workers at the club.

Giving 3 years to a fringe player at, say, Geelong, when we would trade in a "hypothetical" player would be a much sillier decision to make...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I know. But it's a matter of general principle for me, hence the username. I know it's a shortcoming but I don't see the difference as much as you or mjp.
    I was in outcry over the way West was retired...I see the coaching interview thing as completely different.

Maybe I have been overly simplistic over the West coaching interview thing - I don't know. As I said though, I am happy for him to be interviewed if we are considering him...if not, we shouldn't be giving him one out of courtesy. I actually see doing that (interviewing only out of courtesy) that as disrespectful and misleading to someone who has been a great servant.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

And with Cross, as he ages, he isn't exactly going to get much slower or lose much more kicking penetration.

Barring a serious injury, or his body falls apart due to his willingness to run in front of a truck every single game he plays, he's still got plenty of football left in him. And ideally we'll slowely transition him out and our younger mids in over a period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    It sounds to me as though our footy department is in a mess. No coach. Key players unsigned. A key position of list manager not even close to being filled. A football manager that has been at odds with the coach for a long period of time. A President whose judgement is being questioned. Its not good. This on top of the poor handling of the Aker affair last year, the loss of Harborw and likely loss of Ward. I'm worried, really worried.

It starts at the top. From the President down to the CEO down to the Coach to the playing group, our leadership sucks, big time. Over the last few years we seem to have lurched from disaster to disaster culminating in the sacking of Eade on the back of a poor season, with the club facing the reality of trying to rebuild in an era of compromised drafts and impending free agency. Did we not see this coming? Were the club that naive? Did we lack this much vision? Have we pannicked?
    Fredi, with respect, think you have panicked with this post.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Our dreadlocked one apparently told the West Footscray football club Ward had gone.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Our dreadlocked one apparently told the West Footscray football club Ward had gone.
    Noooooooooo! Eff this.

Post Thanks / Like

If we get two draft picks I almost think it could be a positive for the club long term. Lots of if buts and maybes in the draft I know but if we get it right we could come out in front.

Ward leaving is a kick in the guts especially when the Pies etc do not lose anyone but we need to move on and take the positives out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    If we get two draft picks I almost think it could be a positive for the club long term. Lots of if buts and maybes in the draft I know but if we get it right we could come out in front.

Ward leaving is a kick in the guts especially when the Pies etc do not lose anyone but we need to move on and take the positives out of it.
    Didn't we get Ward from a draft pick given to us when a player left our club??? Then now he has developed and become something great, he might be leaving right before his prime years and we are getting offered more lottery tickets, which may or may not pan out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by St 07 View Post
    And with Cross, as he ages, he isn't exactly going to get much slower or lose much more kicking penetration.
    Just because his peak isn't high doesn't mean he'll be at it for longer. He will progressively get worse in these areas, which will create an even greater weakness for the opposition to expose.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff