Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Callan Ward talks next week

By Kim Hagdorn

THE future of Callan Ward as a Western Bulldog could finally be decided next week with late season discussions on his contract.

Ward, 21, continues to weigh up whether to stay with the Dogs or accept a reported small fortune to head to new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney Giants as a boutique first-up signing among as many as five uncontracted young stars.

Dogs management is also expected to move to the brink of new contracts for captain Matthew Boyd and big possession-winning midfielder Daniel Cross.

And it has emerged that appointment of a new Bulldogs senior coach could influence Ward’s decision to stay or go.

The Dogs and coach Rodney Eade parted ways heading into Round 22 with Ward now believed to be anxious for an indication on just who the new appointment will be, despite former assistant Leon Cameron being clear favourite for the job.

Eade revealed in a forthright interview on the AFL’s popular Footy Show a day after his controversial departure that he thought Ward would “probably go” to GWS.

Ward and his manager Paul Connors are expected to hold discussions with Bulldogs management after Round 23 and just days before the end of a disastrous season for the Dogs.

The Bulldogs last commitment for a season that opened with high hopes of another long finals campaign is against Fremantle in Melbourne on Saturday September 3.

It is understood the exciting Ward wants to be closer to a firm decision on his future before the Dogs complete their home-and-away commitments that has yielded only eight wins for a unit that played in the past three preliminary finals.

Boyd, 29, is understood to be in conflict with Dogs officials over his request for a new three-year deal.

Such late season negotiation between club management and the Dogs’ skipper has baffled many industry insiders.

It is believed Boyd has only been offered two more seasons despite an outstanding 2011 as Dogs skipper and a front-end contender to possibly win the Brownlow Medal.

The 183-game on-baller leads the competition on possessions with a staggering 631 at an average of 31 a game, with 11 outings among his 20 games this season stacking up more than 30 disposals.

Cross, 28, is also in dispute on demands for two more seasons and club authorities only offering one more year to the important midfield play-maker.

The Dogs have as many as eight players coming out of contract at the end of this season.

Rapidly improving defender Easton Wood, 21, is understood to have agreed to terms of what is expected to be a new deal.

Veteran utility Robert Murphy agreed in principle to a two-year extension of his colourful career at around the same time Dogs officials were deciding not to continue with Eade before Round 22.

Murphy, 29, wins his contract extension after a stirring season winning 397 possessions at an average of 21 touches a game through 19 outings mostly as a running-back defender.

He will vie with Boyd for the Dogs 2011 fairest-and-best award.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward talks next week

It sounds like our footy dept. are in for a couple of very interesting weeks with a number of hirings to be completed (coach, list manager, possibly assistant coaches) as well as having to re-sign up to 8 or 9 players.... I guess it's a case of watch this space.

But is it just me or are all our re-signings drawn out affairs these days?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Cross only being offered a one year contract and Boyd should not be offered a 3 year contract, 2 is more likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I agree with Cross only being offered a one year contract and Boyd should not be offered a 3 year contract, 2 is more likely.
    Yeah, that was my feel too. I'm with the club on those ones. Good to hear Wood looks like he'll stay and Murphy has signed for 2.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder who the 8 are out of contract?

Ward
    Wood
    Boyd
    Cross
    Stack
    ?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Ward
    Wood
    Boyd
    Cross
    Stack
    ?
    Josh Hill?
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Ward
    Wood
    Boyd
    Cross
    Stack
    ?
    Howard
    Tutt
    Markovic
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Roughead was one?

will be relieved if Wood signs, although that could mean that Ward is definately going to GWS, as Wood would of been their next on our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I thought Roughead was one?

will be relieved if Wood signs, although that could mean that Ward is definately going to GWS, as Wood would of been their next on our list.

Roughie's contract is up next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Howard
    Tutt
    Markovic
    The article just posted on Tutt (Tutt backs himself....) has Jason stating that he is contracted for 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The article just posted on Tutt (Tutt backs himself....) has Jason stating that he is contracted for 2012.
    I can't see how that can be correct, unless he re-signed for one year without it being made public. Draftees automatically get a 2 year contract, so he, Howard, and Markovic should all be out of contract this season.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Agree with this.

Crossy has been tremendous, but he needs to be looked at on a year by year basis - its not unforeseeable that his status as a regular senior player could diminish very quickly - particularly considering Wal and Libba are somewhat similar types on the way up.

Hopefully we can lock Boydy away for 2 years. 2 solid years will get him at least another year easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Agree with this.

Crossy has been tremendous, but he needs to be looked at on a year by year basis - its not unforeseeable that his status as a regular senior player could diminish very quickly - particularly considering Wal and Libba are somewhat similar types on the way up.

Hopefully we can lock Boydy away for 2 years. 2 solid years will get him at least another year easily.
    I also see it from Boyd's point of view, as any injury at his age could see him “retired” early, even if he had the ability to play on. Especially in a period of “refreshing” the list. The security of a 3 year deal would be very important to a bloke at 29.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the club is being prudent with these decisions. I agree with this approach as the game is changing rapidly from year to year.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy the are only offering Cross 1 year, but Boyd should get 3 IMO. Can't wait for Ward to put me out of my misery.
    The curse is dead.