Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward talks next week

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I can't see how that can be correct, unless he re-signed for one year without it being made public. Draftees automatically get a 2 year contract, so he, Howard, and Markovic should all be out of contract this season.
    It's possible it might've gone unnoticed publicly. I wouldn't be shocked if they did this to ensure GWS wouldn't be able to after him at the end of last year, being from Canberra.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I agree with Cross only being offered a one year contract and Boyd should not be offered a 3 year contract, 2 is more likely.
    Agree Desi. Can understand Boyd seeking 3 years but 2 years would seem more prudent and reasonable from the Club's viewpoint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But is it just me or are all our re-signings drawn out affairs these days?
    Fear not, our head of football operations is on the case

Post Thanks / Like

The club would be well aware given Gilbee and Hargrave still being under contract for 2012 of the problems long contracts for old players can create. Gilbee would be delisted for sure at the end of this year whilst there would be at least some thoughts of it for Hargrave given his last two years.

I support the club's approach as listed in the article.

I would have thought Grant would be out of contract as well given this is his 4th year. I don't think he would have been given a three year contract after his first two years at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Agree Desi. Can understand Boyd seeking 3 years but 2 years would seem more prudent and reasonable from the Club's viewpoint.

RANT WARNING!!!

To everyone saying Boyd only 'deserves' two years and Cross should only get one...do you understand why players (like Harbrow, and potentially Ward) leave clubs for an extra dollar somewhere else when in their prime?

Of course the club only want to give him two years...because in two years they will hold a complete whip-hand when it comes to his next contract. We can't have it both ways people - demanding loyalty on one hand then giving the short shrift on the other end. Boyd is skipper and might win the B&F (again), Crossy has been top 3 in the B&F since forever and will probably be top 5 again this year. Boyd is entitled to think he should get a 3 year deal...the same for Crossy with 2 years. But it would be 'irresponsible' of the club to honor these wishes...it wouldn't make smart business sense. But then, it wouldn't make smart 'business' sense for Ward to turn down the GWS millions either - but apparently he should stay out of loyalty, love of his mates and most of all, love of the club.

I get the arguments, but it seems to me that many of us say it is or isn't a business depending on the situation...if you believe the club is right in limiting the offers to Boyd and Cross, then to me that is the same as encouraging Ward to bolt for the cash now.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

RANT WARNING!!!

To everyone saying Boyd only 'deserves' two years and Cross should only get one...do you understand why players (like Harbrow, and potentially Ward) leave clubs for an extra dollar somewhere else when in their prime?

Of course the club only want to give him two years...because in two years they will hold a complete whip-hand when it comes to his next contract. We can't have it both ways people - demanding loyalty on one hand then giving the short shrift on the other end. Boyd is skipper and might win the B&F (again), Crossy has been top 3 in the B&F since forever and will probably be top 5 again this year. Boyd is entitled to think he should get a 3 year deal...the same for Crossy with 2 years. But it would be 'irresponsible' of the club to honor these wishes...it wouldn't make smart business sense. But then, it wouldn't make smart 'business' sense for Ward to turn down the GWS millions either - but apparently he should stay out of loyalty, love of his mates and most of all, love of the club.

I get the arguments, but it seems to me that many of us say it is or isn't a business depending on the situation...if you believe the club is right in limiting the offers to Boyd and Cross, then to me that is the same as encouraging Ward to bolt for the cash now.
    I fully understand and expect that Ward will leave for the money. what I hate is the AFL have created the uneven playing field that means we have no ability to match an unrealistic offer.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough this press release gives me hope that he may stay.
    He isn't sitting on a secret.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It sounds like our footy dept. are in for a couple of very interesting weeks with a number of hirings to be completed (coach, list manager, possibly assistant coaches) as well as having to re-sign up to 8 or 9 players.... I guess it's a case of watch this space.
    Have we been working to any sort of plan over the course of the season? Seems like we've left a lot of things to the last minute and are now in a mad rush.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree mjp. Those wanting to send Crossy to the glue factory post haste can't expect loyalty from guns in their prime.

Post Thanks / Like

One year contracts for 30 plus year olds should be the norm. It is a time when a dramatic drop of in pace etc can happen quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Maddog. If they are 30 they should be 1 year prospects. Especially with the current state the list is in.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree loyalty is a two way street, but we do have a salary cap and have to balance the books.Cross has had an ordinary season, and the age factor will determine his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Agree loyalty is a two way street, but we do have a salary cap and have to balance the books.Cross has had an ordinary season, and the age factor will determine his contract.
    And we want to introduce new blood ..... players that can run AND kick. Good assets to have in AFL football if you want to keep your career in check.

I hope the club doesnt sign any of the questionables until a new coach is appointed and he can put his thgoughts on who stays and who goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    One year contracts for 30 plus year olds should be the norm. It is a time when a dramatic drop of in pace etc can happen quickly.
    How is that statement relevant to this discussion?

Daniel Cross is the only player who has been offered a 1yr contract and he is only 28.... He will be 29 just before rd 1 next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can all understand the position Ward is in. His preference would be to stay at the Dogs but it's a great once in a life time offer that has been presented to him.
    I have no idea what his decision will be but the timing of the announcement is a curious one.

Is it to give the fans a chance to say farewell?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"