Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Callan Ward talks next week

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we can all understand the position Ward is in. His preference would be to stay at the Dogs but it's a great once in a life time offer that has been presented to him.
    I have no idea what his decision will be but the timing of the announcement is a curious one.

Is it to give the fans a chance to say farewell?
    Good point as he is insisting the deal is done before the last round.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can all understand the position Ward is in. His preference would be to stay at the Dogs but it's a great once in a life time offer that has been presented to him.
    I have no idea what his decision will be but the timing of the announcement is a curious one.

If he thinks it's a chance to say farewell it could go very wrong. Not only could the fans turn on him, the MC may not even pick him.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great story it would be if decides to stick with us. It would be regarded by the fans as highly as Chris Grants decision to stay with us after turning down a similar massive offer. You can't put a price or a dollar value on the reputation that would bring you.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    If he thinks it's a chance to say farewell it could go very wrong. Not only could the fans turn on him, the MC may not even pick him.
    If he is going I wouldn't be playing him.

I would much prefer his spot went to Wallis.... or anyone else who will be there next year.

Post Thanks / Like

If that's the case he knows nothing about Bulldogs supporters...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    If that's the case he knows nothing about Bulldogs supporters...
    I seem to recall the majority of people here wanting Harbrow to hold his spot last year when it was as good as a done deal. I suppose the only difference is that we were still in the finals hunt.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If he is going I wouldn't be playing him.

I would much prefer his spot went to Wallis.... or anyone else who will be there next year.
    Totally agree. Not only would it be better for our future, I also think it's a bit insulting to our fans and belittling to the club to give him a send off. I won't really blame him but a 'send off'? That's the other extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to recall the majority of people here wanting Harbrow to hold his spot last year when it was as good as a done deal. I suppose the only difference is that we were still in the finals hunt.
    Finals makes the difference. We played him to help us, not him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Finals makes the difference. We played him to help us, not him.
    +1..

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the same line of thinking Terry Wallace had before heading off to take his new job in Sydney, we all saw how that was received by the players and supporters.

If Callan is planning to announce he's leaving he may want to reconsider his timeline.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    Agree with Maddog. If they are 30 they should be 1 year prospects. Especially with the current state the list is in.
    Adelaide thought this was a great idea, until we took Hudson and Welsh off them

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be kidding!
    Didn't Wallace want to do the same thing?
    He'd be a very silly boy if he thinks we're all going to cheer as he sails into the sunset.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It sounds like our footy dept. are in for a couple of very interesting weeks with a number of hirings to be completed (coach, list manager, possibly assistant coaches) as well as having to re-sign up to 8 or 9 players.... I guess it's a case of watch this space.

But is it just me or are all our re-signings drawn out affairs these days?
    It sounds to me as though our footy department is in a mess. No coach. Key players unsigned. A key position of list manager not even close to being filled. A football manager that has been at odds with the coach for a long period of time. A President whose judgement is being questioned. Its not good. This on top of the poor handling of the Aker affair last year, the loss of Harborw and likely loss of Ward. I'm worried, really worried.

It starts at the top. From the President down to the CEO down to the Coach to the playing group, our leadership sucks, big time. Over the last few years we seem to have lurched from disaster to disaster culminating in the sacking of Eade on the back of a poor season, with the club facing the reality of trying to rebuild in an era of compromised drafts and impending free agency. Did we not see this coming? Were the club that naive? Did we lack this much vision? Have we pannicked?

Post Thanks / Like

How much can we spend outside of the cap?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

RANT WARNING!!!

To everyone saying Boyd only 'deserves' two years and Cross should only get one...do you understand why players (like Harbrow, and potentially Ward) leave clubs for an extra dollar somewhere else when in their prime?

Of course the club only want to give him two years...because in two years they will hold a complete whip-hand when it comes to his next contract. We can't have it both ways people - demanding loyalty on one hand then giving the short shrift on the other end. Boyd is skipper and might win the B&F (again), Crossy has been top 3 in the B&F since forever and will probably be top 5 again this year. Boyd is entitled to think he should get a 3 year deal...the same for Crossy with 2 years. But it would be 'irresponsible' of the club to honor these wishes...it wouldn't make smart business sense. But then, it wouldn't make smart 'business' sense for Ward to turn down the GWS millions either - but apparently he should stay out of loyalty, love of his mates and most of all, love of the club.

I get the arguments, but it seems to me that many of us say it is or isn't a business depending on the situation...if you believe the club is right in limiting the offers to Boyd and Cross, then to me that is the same as encouraging Ward to bolt for the cash now.
    This is the pot calling the kettle black ala the possible West interviews at the club. Loyalty at the football club is not conditional regardless of whether you are a current or past player in need.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.