Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Writings on the Hall: Roos stoush had been brewing

Andrew Wu

BARRY HALL says he felt his relationship with Paul Roos was strained well before his controversial hit on Brent Staker after questioning Sydney's game plan in a private meeting in 2007.
    In his book, Pulling No Punches, which is in bookstores from today, Hall documents the tension between himself and Roos, which left a stain on the forward's eight-year career at the club.
    Hall said the relationship between the pair, who played key roles in the Swans' drought-breaking flag in 2005, started to get ''a little strained'' well before the spearhead's departure at the end of 2009.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    The book also reveals how close Hall was to accepting an offer from Danny Green to switch to boxing; gives an insight into the Bloods culture at the Swans; tells how he tried to leave the Swans and join the Bulldogs at the end of 2008; and how Hawthorn were keen to recruit him after he left Sydney.
    Hall writes about a meeting he and Michael O'Loughlin had with the coaching staff to express concerns about the game plan, and how they felt it was not working for the forwards, and suggested ''some new ways of doing things''.
    ''They put it back onto me, saying I was blaming the game plan because I wasn't getting a kick,'' Hall writes. ''It all got turned back onto me again. 'You let the media affect you,' I was told. 'Hang on, let's stop the meeting here,' I said. 'This is ridiculous - what are you talking about? I'm here to help us try to win more games, that's all. I'm not suggesting this so I can kick 10 goals next week - I'm here because I want to win.'
    ''I was told that my body was not letting me do what I wanted it to do, but I said it wasn't about that.
    ''They just didn't get it.''
    Hall described the Staker punch as the ''darkest mark on my career'' and addresses speculation at the time, including suggestions his love life was the catalyst.
    ''A lot of crap was written afterwards about my relationships and the mental state I was in before the game, but that was just bullshit,'' Hall writes.
    ''The truth was I was continually wound up by Staker, and by the umpire who wouldn't do his job. I got frustrated, and the result was … well, we all know what it was.
    ''I'm not good enough to play well if I'm off my game because I'm thinking about my ex-girlfriend. And anyway, how could they think that I run around the footy field thinking about girls?''
    Hall said he was willing to do whatever it took to get back on the field, even if that meant saying there were matters in his private life that were affecting him and spending several weeks on the psychologist's couch.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Writings on the Hall: Roos stoush had been brewing Read more: http://www.theage.

If Roos can't even talk to his players and he was available to coach, I don't want him at the dogs.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Writings on the Hall: Roos stoush had been brewing

Similar article in today's Hun, excerpts from the book detailing the fact that Roos would do anything to avoid one-on-one confrontation. "Pulling No Punches" indeed. Can't wait to pick the book up.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Writings on the Hall: Roos stoush had been brewing Read more: http://www.theage.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If Roos can't even talk to his players and he was available to coach, I don't want him at the dogs.
    Two sides to every story I guess. Roos has held the cup aloft. I'd have him.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Two sides to every story I guess. Roos has held the cup aloft. I'd have him.
    So has Barry. I prefer him.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Ah yes. True enough
    Savoring every snap from the big fella this season, as it's coming to an end so soon.
    I reckon Barry would be the first to admit Roos has something to offer a club.
    Don't reckon he's saying ' don't employ the guy' more or less ' can be a bit of a prick'
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

tells how he tried to leave the Swans and join the Bulldogs at the end of 2008
    If only
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If only
    Why do we have to get our face rubbed in it?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered the book through the club which will be signed by Bazza, should be an interesting read.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up "Pulling No Punches" tonight. Just had a brief flick through, seems interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up "Pulling No Punches" tonight. Just had a brief flick through, seems interesting.
    How did you do that? I pre-ordered and went to the club today to pick it up and was told can't do that till Monday as the official launch was 4pm today with the Bazza signings?

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered the book through the club which will be signed by Bazza, should be an interesting read.
    Same, looking forward to reading it also.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you do that? I pre-ordered and went to the club today to pick it up and was told can't do that till Monday as the official launch was 4pm today with the Bazza signings?
    K-mart have it in stock, $ 22

Post Thanks / Like

K-mart have it in stock, $ 22
    Discounted already