Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ward, Boyd, Cross and Giansiracusa still unsigned

AS the Western Bulldogs scramble to make a last-ditch bid to retain Callan Ward, several other stars remain unsigned.

Captain Matthew Boyd, joint vice-captain Daniel Giansiracusa and heart-and-soul midfielder Daniel Cross are yet to agree to terms beyond this year.

Ward is believed to be no better than a 30-70 chance to stay at Whitten Oval, but the Dogs should strike deals with the experienced trio despite haggling over the deals.

It is unusual for a captain of Boyd's stature to be unsigned so late in a season, with the sticking point believed to be the length of a new agreement.

Boyd, 29 next week, has been offered two years, with debate continuing on whether he is worth three.

Giansiracusa, who will be 30 by the start of next season, also remains in limbo.

It is understood there have been no talks between the Dogs and Giansiracusa's management for several weeks, but there has been debate over whether the forward deserves two years or one year.

Cross, who will be 29 entering next season, is also believed to favour a new two-year deal, but at this stage has been offered only a one-year extension.

In other developments at Whitten Oval, there was speculation last night that popular ruckman Ben Hudson was close to announcing he would not play on next season.

Despite the contract issues at the top end of the list, and the likelihood Hudson will retire, the Dogs are close to announcing deals with several emerging players -- including Easton Wood, who was believed to be a target of Greater Western Sydney.

There is speculation veteran Robert Murphy has agreed to terms on a two-year deal.

Ward's manager, Paul Connors, has a meeting with the Bulldogs next week.

The meeting,before the Dogs' final game against Fremantle, should give the club a clearer insight into the 21-year-old midfielder's plans.

Some teammates are believed to be resigned to the fact that Ward will leave -- and they cannot begrudge him given he will earn about $4.5 million over five years.

The Dogs have tried everything to convince Ward to stay, reiterating his future as a leader and pushing up his offer to about $450,000 a season.

Boyd's contract was not extended when he was announced as skipper in January.

Both Boyd and Cross signed three-year deals in 2008.

Boyd is the top possession getter in the AFL this year.

OUT OF CONTRACT

CALLAN WARD: Considered a 30 per cent chance of staying.

MATTHEW BOYD: Discussions on whether he is worth two or three years.

DANIEL CROSS: Has been offered one. Is he worth two?

DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA: In limbo. Likely to have to accept one-year.

BELIEVED TO HAVE SIGNED

ROBERT MURPHY: Two years in principle.

ALL BUT DONE

EASTON WOOD: Was a target for GWS.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226120815732
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ward, Boyd, Cross and Giansiracusa still unsigned

Good on ya Easton
    I guess Ward is gone then.....

What's the forum's view of Boyd? Think he has two years left in him?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I was told the swans are interested in Minson, they may have given up on Seaby

Post Thanks / Like

l think the club must hold firm on Boyd, Cross and Gia.
    You can't give them more time than they are worth as they are getting to the wrong side of 30.
    Look at Gilbee one year left on his contract and spent most of this year at Willy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    l think the club must hold firm on Boyd, Cross and Gia.
    You can't give them more time than they are worth as they are getting to the wrong side of 30.
    Look at Gilbee one year left on his contract and spent most of this year at Willy.
    I'd be going for 2 years deals for Giansiracusa and Cross but a 3 year deal for Boyd.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd be going for 2 years deals for Giansiracusa and Cross but a 3 year deal for Boyd.
    If you were the player or the club?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are too kind on Cross and Gia.
    Cross will not help us climb back up the ladder, I would prefer Wallis & Libba in the team in 2012.
    Gia's form was very very good during the middle part of the season, it has dropped since.
    What happens if his form drops early in 2012 like it did in 2011? What if he cannot recapture his form?
    We will have him playing the next 1 1/2 years at Williamstown.

Its not as if these 2 players are in demand at another club, keep them on one year contracts I say, there is less to lose financially that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I think you are too kind on Cross and Gia.
    Cross will not help us climb back up the ladder, I would prefer Wallis & Libba in the team in 2012.
    Gia's form was very very good during the middle part of the season, it has dropped since.
    What happens if his form drops early in 2012 like it did in 2011? What if he cannot recapture his form?
    We will have him playing the next 1 1/2 years at Williamstown.

Its not as if these 2 players are in demand at another club, keep them on one year contracts I say, there is less to lose financially that way.
    Under free agency next year players of this age group will simply ask for the extra year knowing they can walk if they don't get it.

Cross is worth nothing in a trade but just about every club would snap him up if they could get him for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Under free agency next year players of this age group will simply ask for the extra year knowing they can walk if they don't get it.

Cross is worth nothing in a trade but just about every club would snap him up if they could get him for free.
    I am willing to take that risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Bullshit.

The fact is players over 30 (I realise Cross is only 28 but this still applies) don't get picked up elsewhere unless they can fill a gaping hole in a potential premiership contender ie. Barry Hall to us or are champions who can help develop players and raise the profile of a club ie. Ben Cousins. Otherwise they fill up a valuable spot on the list that would otherwise belong to what could turn out to be a 10 year player.

No club would look at picking up Cross as a FA when there would be numerous younger options available. We are discussing whether Wallis will have overtaken him next year already and Wallis has largely looked out of his depth at AFL level thus far.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree, all three have played well and put in the extra training and intensity required at this level. They are all role models for the younger group. Cross is only 28 and has had a fantastic season as has Boyd and Gia.

I don't understand some fans not appreciating what these guys have done for the club and they still have plenty to give.

Is it any wonder that teams like Melbourne and Richmond, full of young potential kids but with no older players with experience to help them, still can't make the finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I tend to agree, all three have played well and put in the extra training and intensity required at this level. They are all role models for the younger group. Cross is only 28 and has had a fantastic season as has Boyd and Gia.

I don't understand some fans not appreciating what these guys have done for the club and they still have plenty to give.

Is it any wonder that teams like Melbourne and Richmond, full of young potential kids but with no older players with experience to help them, still can't make the finals.
    We all appreciate what these guys do for the club, but we are in this game to win premierships and we need to build a team which can do so.

Even though all 3 have been good this year it's an unknown how they will be going at the end of next year and if they will be helping us to build towards another tilt at a flag or perhaps holding us back.

And Cross hasn't had a fantastic season, he has been good, but not fantastic. Gia had a great patch through the middle of the season, but his last few games have been below par and my views on Boyd's season are far different to many others, but statistics show he is racking up the touches which I guess is important for the role he plays.

Post Thanks / Like

The club is well within its rights to offer Gia and Crossy 1 - and Boyd 2.
    If they play well enough - the contract extensions will look after themselves.

For Gia, he has certainly played well enough this season to suggest he will be in the best 22 next year. He is likely to be top 5 in the B&F - but with his lack of pace and size limitations - if his form wanes - the end will be very quick for him - and I'm a big Gia fan. 1 year and see how he goes.

Very similar for Cross - who could well be competing for his own spot with Wallis next year. You'd like to think Wallis will draw level with him at some point and become the preferred player for the midfield rotation.

Boyd is still a very very good midfielder - but 2 years is a long time for a bloke in his late 20s.

I hope the club stands firm on all 3 - I'd be disappointed if they gave any of them the extra year. And thats not to disrespect the players - but its business.

Post Thanks / Like

Cross is pretty much Luke Ball with a lower media profile but a better overhead mark -- every 'young' team looking to get a hard head in to help out will not be missing out on another Luke Ball after seeing how well he's done at Collingwood.

As WE would be that 'young team' in the next couple of years we shouldn't be undervaluing a seasoned body and a contributor of his quality. If Libba and Wallis become good enough they'll push him out naturally, but we shouldn't be losing Crossy from our list prematurely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The club is well within its rights to offer Gia and Crossy 1 - and Boyd 2.
    If they play well enough - the contract extensions will look after themselves.

For Gia, he has certainly played well enough this season to suggest he will be in the best 22 next year. He is likely to be top 5 in the B&F - but with his lack of pace and size limitations - if his form wanes - the end will be very quick for him - and I'm a big Gia fan. 1 year and see how he goes.

Very similar for Cross - who could well be competing for his own spot with Wallis next year. You'd like to think Wallis will draw level with him at some point and become the preferred player for the midfield rotation.

Boyd is still a very very good midfielder - but 2 years is a long time for a bloke in his late 20s.

I hope the club stands firm on all 3 - I'd be disappointed if they gave any of them the extra year. And thats not to disrespect the players - but its business.

Tend to agree with this Ozza, Gia's body is a concern (Hip issues from what i've heard) and 1 year is fair. Out of the 3 i'd be looking at Boyd to be he only one that may get their wish.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"